Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Minor League Game Updates - Saturday July 18

Re: Minor League Game Updates - Saturday July 18

Bats now in the 13th inning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Dayton up 6-1. Wiley a double and a walk.

Stubbs 0 for 6 with 3 Ks

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Dayton up 6-1. Wiley a double and a walk.
    Miguel Rojas is 4 for 4.

Bats now at the 14th inning stretch.

The pitching is impressive.

Code:
    Player	        IP	H	R	ER	BB	SO	HR	ERA
    Jukich 	        8.0	2	2	2	2	6	2	4.62
    Burton 	        1.0	0	0	0	1	1	0	1.13
    Stewart 	2.0	1	0	0	1	3	0	0.00
    Roenicke 	0.2	0	0	0	2	1	0	2.92
    Pettyjohn 	2.1	3	0	0	0	2	0	4.88

Top of the 16th in Louisville

Bulls get an unearned run from a Valaika error.
    Last edited by GOYA; 07-18-2009 at 10:40 PM.

Bats lose 3-2 in 16 innings.
    Code:
    Player	        AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	RBI	BB	SO	AVG
    Stubbs CF	7	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	3	.271
    Valaika SS	7	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	1	.217
    Heisey LF	7	0	1	0	0	0	0	0	2	.328
    Barker 1B	4	1	3	1	0	1	1	0	0	.272
    Bolivar 3B	2	1	0	0	0	0	0	1	0	.240
    McDonald RF	6	0	2	1	0	0	1	1	0	.293
    Bankston DH	6	0	1	1	0	0	0	1	1	.245
    Griffin, M 2B	6	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	1	.232
    Eymann 3B-1B	5	0	1	0	1	0	0	1	3	.200
    Miller C	4	0	1	0	0	0	0	1	1	.219
    Tatum C	        1	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	.239

Player	                IP	H	R	ER	BB	SO	HR	ERA
    Jukich 	                8.0	2	2	2	2	6	2	4.62
    Burton 	                1.0	0	0	0	1	1	0	1.13
    Stewart 	        2.0	1	0	0	1	3	0	0.00
    Roenicke 	        0.2	0	0	0	2	1	0	2.92
    Pettyjohn (L, 1-6)	4.1	5	1	0	2	4	0	4.68

Good to see Stewart dominating after his call up to AAA.

Billings trails 6-1. Holy Gary Redus, this Gregorius kid is hitting over .400 for the Mustangs. Incidentally, the Mustangs have a 36-man roster.
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-18-2009 at 11:13 PM.

GCL Reds were wearing their hitting shoes today pounding out 13 hits and drawing 9 walks in a 11-5 thumping of the baby Orioles. Bowe had 2 hits and 2 walks, Silva had a hit and drew 3 free passes, Juan Duran had a couple of base knocks and Danny Vicioso had 3 hits including a double and a home run.
    Tzu-Kai "Bobbs" Chiu pitched four innings for the win allowing 2H 1R 1BB and 6K.

That 0-for-seven night of Drew Stubbs is even worse than the line would indicate. Three times Stubbs could have driven in a run with a routine grounder or medium deep fly ball. In none of the three did he come close. He looked completely overmatched at the plate. Slow bat, flailing at pitches in the dirt. When he hit one back to the pitcher in the fifteenth inning, those that were left cheered that he made contact.

Perhaps the worst I have ever seen a prospect look in a game.

Heisey went 1-7, IIRC, but got robbed twice and a truly horrible call by the first base umpire took away another hit. He was safe by a step and a half and the ump called him out on a really nice dive and throw by Brignac. Our old friend Rey Rey Olmedo took away a double as well, diving to his right to snare it, then a strong throw across the diamond to beat him. Defensively, neither shone, nor had to. Valaika also went 0-fer at the plate, but hit it hard a couple times with at-'ems.

Burton's FB just isn't what it was last year. He hit 94 a couple times, but, for the most part, stayed around 91 with it and couldn't throw it straight. (Pretty much the story of the Bat night; good stuff for the relievers, but lots of pitches.) Stewart hit 97 twice on the Bat gun and his slider (?) is filthy. But he also had problems throwing strikes. The one hit was a flare that fell. Same with Roenicke. Solid gas, didn't throw enough strikes. Jukich never broke 90, BTW, nor did Pettyjohn.
    Last edited by Scrap Irony; 07-18-2009 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    That 0-for-seven night of Drew Stubbs is even worse than the line would indicate. Three times Stubbs could have driven in a run with a routine grounder or medium deep fly ball. In none of the three did he come close. He looked completely overmatched at the plate. Slow bat, flailing at pitches in the dirt. When he hit one back to the pitcher in the fifteenth inning, those that were left cheered that he made contact.

Perhaps the worst I have ever seen a prospect look in a game.

Heisey went 1-7, IIRC, but got robbed twice and a truly horrible call by the first base umpire took away another hit. He was safe by a step and a half and the ump called him out on a really nice dive and throw by Brignac. Our old friend Rey Rey Olmedo took away a double as well, diving to his right to snare it, then a strong throw across the diamond to beat him. Defensively, neither shone, nor had to. Valaika also went 0-fer at the plate, but hit it hard a couple times with at-'ems.

Burton's FB just isn't what it was last year. He hit 94 a couple times, but, for the most part, stayed around 91 with it and couldn't throw it straight. (Pretty much the story of the Bat night; good stuff for the relievers, but lots of pitches.) Stewart hit 97 twice on the Bat gun and his slider (?) is filthy. But he also had problems throwing strikes. The one hit was a flare that fell. Same with Roenicke. Solid gas, didn't throw enough strikes. Jukich never broke 90, BTW, nor did Pettyjohn.
    Tell us how you really feel, Scrap

I'm telling you, man. I've seen roughly 25 or 30 of Stubbs' games over the past few years, twice in Chattanooga, once in Dayton, and the rest in Louisville. I've been watching minor league baseball for fifteen years pretty regularly too. I've probably attended 500 or so games over the course of those 15 years.

I saw Adam Dunn hit three consecutive pitches (two foul and one fair) completely out of the Louisville stadium (the only time a ballpark has been pindrop silent was when he hit the third one). I've seen all the suspects, prospects, and never-will-bes the Reds have pushed through AAA and tonight's spectacle was the worst I have ever seen a true prospect look. It was indescribably bad. Words do no justice to the suck I saw tonight.

His bat was s-l-o-w. His pitch recognition was nonexistant. He had absolutely no power. None. I think one ball got out of the infield all night (and the second baseman caught it). No ball went more than 120 feet.

Of course, none of this means a thing, too. Anyone can look bad on a given night. Maybe he's sick. Maybe he's tired. (I was tired and all I did was watch the marathon.) Maybe he's trying out a new swing. (If so, he can junk it.) I don't know.

I remember seeing Dave Collins hit for the Reds. Collins looked like a Little Leaguer. Went 0-fer and didn't touch a ball. Wouldn't have mattered if he took a toy bat up to the plate in that game. Thought he was done. Toast.

That was before he left the Reds to join the Yankees in 1981. Collins enjoyed another ten years of good baseball after that particular game. Everybody struggles.

Very interesting stuff, Scrap. I'm curious, do you think Heisey can be an .800 (+?) OPS bat in CF for the Reds?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Gotta love the Bats 1-2-3 going 1 for 21 in a 16 inning game.

Turn Off Ads?