Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Minor League Game Updates - Saturday July 18

Re: Minor League Game Updates - Saturday July 18

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I'm telling you, man. I've seen roughly 25 or 30 of Stubbs' games over the past few years, twice in Chattanooga, once in Dayton, and the rest in Louisville. I've been watching minor league baseball for fifteen years pretty regularly too. I've probably attended 500 or so games over the course of those 15 years.

I saw Adam Dunn hit three consecutive pitches (two foul and one fair) completely out of the Louisville stadium (the only time a ballpark has been pindrop silent was when he hit the third one). I've seen all the suspects, prospects, and never-will-bes the Reds have pushed through AAA and tonight's spectacle was the worst I have ever seen a true prospect look. It was indescribably bad. Words do no justice to the suck I saw tonight.

His bat was s-l-o-w. His pitch recognition was nonexistant. He had absolutely no power. None. I think one ball got out of the infield all night (and the second baseman caught it). No ball went more than 120 feet.

Of course, none of this means a thing, too. Anyone can look bad on a given night. Maybe he's sick. Maybe he's tired. (I was tired and all I did was watch the marathon.) Maybe he's trying out a new swing. (If so, he can junk it.) I don't know.

I remember seeing Dave Collins hit for the Reds. Collins looked like a Little Leaguer. Went 0-fer and didn't touch a ball. Wouldn't have mattered if he took a toy bat up to the plate in that game. Thought he was done. Toast.

That was before he left the Reds to join the Yankees in 1981. Collins enjoyed another ten years of good baseball after that particular game. Everybody struggles.
    When I saw his line and read thru the updates here tonight, my first two thoughts were:

1) Maybe he's sick?
    2) Maybe he's pouting a bit from not being called up?

Not saying that's the case etc, but I fully expect him to bounce back. That's a looooong game to lose

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I'm telling you, man. I've seen roughly 25 or 30 of Stubbs' games over the past few years, twice in Chattanooga, once in Dayton, and the rest in Louisville. I've been watching minor league baseball for fifteen years pretty regularly too. I've probably attended 500 or so games over the course of those 15 years.

I saw Adam Dunn hit three consecutive pitches (two foul and one fair) completely out of the Louisville stadium (the only time a ballpark has been pindrop silent was when he hit the third one). I've seen all the suspects, prospects, and never-will-bes the Reds have pushed through AAA and tonight's spectacle was the worst I have ever seen a true prospect look. It was indescribably bad. Words do no justice to the suck I saw tonight.

His bat was s-l-o-w. His pitch recognition was nonexistant. He had absolutely no power. None. I think one ball got out of the infield all night (and the second baseman caught it). No ball went more than 120 feet.

Of course, none of this means a thing, too. Anyone can look bad on a given night. Maybe he's sick. Maybe he's tired. (I was tired and all I did was watch the marathon.) Maybe he's trying out a new swing. (If so, he can junk it.) I don't know.

I remember seeing Dave Collins hit for the Reds. Collins looked like a Little Leaguer. Went 0-fer and didn't touch a ball. Wouldn't have mattered if he took a toy bat up to the plate in that game. Thought he was done. Toast.

That was before he left the Reds to join the Yankees in 1981. Collins enjoyed another ten years of good baseball after that particular game. Everybody struggles.
    if Stubbs turns into Collins I'd take that everyday and Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Very interesting stuff, Scrap. I'm curious, do you think Heisey can be an .800 (+?) OPS bat in CF for the Reds?
    Yeah, I do. I've only seen him five games (and one of those was one at-bat), so it's not like I have a good handle on everything, but, from what I've seen, he's got a plus glove and a very good arm-- though he short arms everything. It's almost like he's throwing a football. Doesn't look natural and easy, but it gets there on a line and he's extremely accurate.) His range isn't in Stubbs' class, but he takes excellent routes in CF, so he covers above average ground.

Offensively, he's not got all that much natural power and almost zero loft. It's a short, quick stroke with more line drive power than anything else. No one on the Red team has a stroke like this, either. If I had to compare his swing to someone's, I'd probably say mid-career, early 80's Reds/Yankee Griffey, Sr. Short, compact, quick-- great bat on ball skills. Above average pitch recognition skills, though he occasionally chases offspeed low and away. (Most of the time, he'll be able to waste the pitch, but he can be struck out.)

Very good speed. (Tried bunting for a hit last night, but a poor attempt.) What's more, he has good baseball instincts. Smart on the bases. Stole a base last game I attended and could have stolen it standing up, he had such a good jump. One small thing-- he gets great secondary leads. Huge secondary leads. That's something I wish Stubbs would do as well. Take advantage of that speed a bit more.

Overall, Heisey looks like a solid bet to OPS around 800 in the bigs. He can certainly play CF adequately, if not better. He's just an all-around baseball rat. He knows the game. (Much like Todd Frazier, IMO-- with much less natural talent.) I'd guess Heisey's peak season as 310/400/450 and his average will probably go around 275/350/425. Expect solid to above average intangibles due to high baseball IQ; that might bump him a notch or two overall as well offensively.

does he try going the other way with the out side pitch?

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    When I saw his line and read thru the updates here tonight, my first two thoughts were:

1) Maybe he's sick?
    2) Maybe he's pouting a bit from not being called up?

Not saying that's the case etc, but I fully expect him to bounce back. That's a looooong game to lose
    Stubbs has these games. When he looks bad, he looks really bad. Valaika is looking really bad now too. The time off for the All-Star break did him a disservice. When Sweet pulled Barker for a pinch runner, it made sense. But in the end, it took the only hot hitter out of the lineup. That's baseball.

Turn Off Ads?