Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hernandez out 4-6

Hernandez out 4-6

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

Postgame 5-1 win over Brewers, Reds announced that C Ramon Hernandez (knee) will have surgery Tuesday and miss 4-6 weeks. C Craig Tatum officially will be called up Monday, although Tatum already has arrived in the clubhouse to join team (his MLB debut) in L.A. Monday.

Also: P Jared Burton will be recalled from Louisville and P Robert Manuel will head back to Louisville.

Hernandez did not start the final 3 games of the Brewers series. His knee has bothered him for some time and finally became too much.

"It's been bothering me for two months," Hernandez said after today's game. "I tried to keep playing, but we've got to do something. I can't run. It's tough."

Manager Dusty Baker on Hernandez: "It's not good."

Are we serious hes been playing with a bad knee for 2 months? If we go back 2 months hes started 46 games and 16 games at catcher since June 23. I cant even put into words how disgusted I am at how this team handles things.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hernandez out 4-6

Finally. An answer as to why there had been a drastic change to the pitching staff in games he started as Catcher since Votto came back. A painful knee is going to effect how you play Catcher, both mentally, and physically.

It just didn't make any sense why they were 5-11 with him and now 6-2 with Hanigan since Votto got hurt.

When he comes back, I expect that .300 losing record when he starts at Catcher to go away with his injury.

The REDS have a great chance now of making a playoff run. Hanigan is fresh....playing great, working great with the pitching staff, and Hernandez will return to the form he displayed in April and May before Votto got hurt.

Let's go REDS!

Drill those Dodgers!

Let's start winning series again.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post

Manager Dusty Baker on Hernandez: "It's not good."

Are we serious hes been playing with a bad knee for 2 months? If we go back 2 months hes started 46 games and 16 games at catcher since June 23. I cant even put into words how disgusted I am at how this team handles things.
    Yet, Baker continued to throw him out there as the starting Catcher most of the time.

Oh man we should get a new club doctor....

Naah just kidding, jokes aside... I can't believe how unlucky we've been with injuries this year! Darnit! Altough, I'm glad Hanigan gets a chance to prove himself...

Let the Ryan Hanigan era begin!!!
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman

Im not a dusty basher like a lot of people on this board but if he knew this and kept running him out there that is insane! Hannigan in limited time has produced and has a cannon of a arm. Its not like larue was the backup for ramon. Catcher is the most demanding on the knees and he was starting 6 gamer a week? Unacceptable

According to reports, Hernandez has a "degenerative-type" knee condition. If that is anything like what happened with Jeff Bagwell's shoulder, I wouldn't count on much from Hernandez if and when he ever comes back. A catcher with a bum knee does not sound promising. Bagwell rehabbed and tried everything but his shoulder continually worsened. He never really contributed much of anything late in his career. It, sadly, ended that great career.
    Of course, Houston doesn't have Doc Hollywood.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Hate to hear that. Wonder if it led to that decision not to slide the other day?

Hanigan has a golden opportunity in front of him.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Hate to hear that. Wonder if it led to that decision not to slide the other day?

Hanigan has a golden opportunity in front of him.
    Dusty said it did.

I like Ramon, and hate to see him go out this way, but I'm excited at the thought of Hanigan playing every day. He's earned it.

How many games is our General Manager going to allow this team to play with less than 25 available players. It is one thing for a guy to be nicked up for a couple of days, but for a guy to sit for three days and then be out for four to six weeks is pathetic. I know we don't like to criticize the teflon man on this board but Walt's handling of this roster this season has left a lot to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by kfm View Post
    How many games is our General Manager going to allow this team to play with less than 25 available players. It is one thing for a guy to be nicked up for a couple of days, but for a guy to sit for three days and then be out for four to six weeks is pathetic. I know we don't like to criticize the teflon man on this board but Walt's handling of this roster this season has left a lot to be desired.
    It's been a thing in Cincy for years. Not just Walt. Many times someone will get "niched" up and sit out a couple days just to end up going on the DL. I forget specific circumstances but that seemed to be how things would happen maybe its something with the medical staff?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I am excited to see how Hanigan does in the full time role. Mainly to see if he is capable of producing at the level he has been in a full time role, and also because it has been such an on going debate on this board.

I respect Hernandez for playing first when Votto went down, and he's been a quality guy since being here, but this is honestly for the best. I think Hanigan is the best catcher on this team, but he's yet to prove it over an extended period. This is his chance, and if he plays well, then going into next year the Reds won't have to worry about catcher. And honestly, I'm already thinking of 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    I respect Hernandez for playing first when Votto went down, and he's been a quality guy since being here, but this is honestly for the best. I think Hanigan is the best catcher on this team, but he's yet to prove it over an extended period. This is his chance, and if he plays well, then going into next year the Reds won't have to worry about catcher. And honestly, I'm already thinking of 2010.
    I don't think Ramon gets enough credit for the job he did at 1B while Joey was out. He moved to an unfamiliar spot, and played admirably IMO.

Turn Off Ads?