my top 5

1. Stewart
    2. TWood
    3. Leake
    4. Smith
    5. Fairel

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: the Reds top 5 pitchers in the minors

I like those guys, too. It is too soon to rank Leake #3 though?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I like those guys, too. It is too soon to rank Leake #3 though?
    Considering he isn't in the minors, I would think he would not belong on this list.

Anyone know why Wood is still pitching at double-A? You can't tell me there's no room in Louisville. Looking at the Southern League pitching leaders' stats, it is almost laughable how far ahead of the pack he is.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

My list, if we aren't including guys that aren't signed:

1. Stewart
    2. Wood
    3. Sulbaran
    4. Ravin
    5. A grouping of Fairel, Maloney, Horst, Smith and Klinker. They are all on just about the same level right now.

Stewart
    Wood
    Sulbaran

The rest

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Stewart
    Wood
    Sulbaran

The rest
    Thats pretty much where I was at too. I think that 'the rest' has some candidates for guys who can help in the Majors as starters, but no one who profiles better than a #4 (outside of Ravin) and is in full season ball just yet or healthy (Lotzkar, Hildenbrandt, Buck etc).

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Thats pretty much where I was at too. I think that 'the rest' has some candidates for guys who can help in the Majors as starters, but no one who profiles better than a #4 (outside of Ravin) and is in full season ball just yet or healthy (Lotzkar, Hildenbrandt, Buck etc).
    Yep the ones left just arent that great or are just constantly injured.

It's early, but I think Tyler Cline has pitched his way into the conversation. If it's possible, he's even hotter than Wood. And Lee Tabor is working on it. A month from now, if they're still doing what they're doing, I think they join "the rest." And for what it's worth (admittedly, not much, since he's 21), Luis Machuca started the DSL all-star game (and lost).

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    It's early, but I think Tyler Cline has pitched his way into the conversation. If it's possible, he's even hotter than Wood. And Lee Tabor is working on it. A month from now, if they're still doing what they're doing, I think they join "the rest." And for what it's worth (admittedly, not much, since he's 21), Luis Machuca started the DSL all-star game (and lost).
    Cline is in the picture, but I want to see things at the end of the year and get an up to date report on him. That said, he isn't hotter than Wood. Wood is doing the same thing as Cline, but in AA and racking up a lot more strikeouts while doing it.

As for Lee Tabor... say what? The guy has 2 good starts and he is working on joining some strong #4/5 MLB candidates?

Pitchers or prospects?

It makes a big difference where you put Sulbaran. Or Lehr, for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Cline is in the picture, but I want to see things at the end of the year and get an up to date report on him. That said, he isn't hotter than Wood. Wood is doing the same thing as Cline, but in AA and racking up a lot more strikeouts while doing it.

As for Lee Tabor... say what? The guy has 2 good starts and he is working on joining some strong #4/5 MLB candidates?
    Yes, Tabor has only two good starts, which is why I said it's early. But they're the only starts he's had. I mean, the dude hasn't been scored on as a starter. What else can he do? If, like I said, he's still doing that in a month, he's in the conversation.

And certainly, Wood's credentials for the season are a lot stronger than Cline's, due to classification and duration. But in Cline's five starts, he's only once given up two runs. He's thrown three mini-shutouts. His ERA is 1.00, which is even better than Wood's. You can make a case that he's the hottest guy out there. And yes, Wood's in AA, and he's young for it. But Cline just turned 19.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Stewart
    Wood
    Sulbaran

The rest
    x2

Add Leake and Boxberger to the mix and that's a pretty nice Top 5, although I wouldn't be shocked if Wood is traded in the next 10 days.

Fairel and Ravin are probably the best of the rest, but it's pretty difficult to distinguish at this point. Tyler Cline could be a guy to keep an eye on once he hits full season ball. It will be interesting to see if Lotzkar can recover his form next year.
    Go BLUE!!!

Does anyone honestly think the Reds wont sign Leake??? Thats why I put him in my top 5, everyone put Alonso number 1 as soon as he was drafted, not saying Leake is in Alonso's ballpark just saying he belongs in the top 5

The player that has helped himself as much as anyone other than Wood and Stewart is Logan Ondrusek. I am hearing that he would be a likely addition to the 40-man after the season.

Turn Off Ads?