Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Dodgers coveting Reds relievers

Dodgers coveting Reds relievers

Dodgers Eyeing Reds Relievers
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 20, 2009 at 10:52am CST]
    The Dodgers can help themselves in more ways than one if they play well against the Reds this week. As MLB.com's Ken Gurnick points out, the Dodgers can push the Reds further from contention and give themselves a better shot at obtaining one of the Cincinnati relievers they've been watching. The Dodgers are trying to improve their 'pen, so they've been eyeing Francisco Cordero, David Weathers and Arthur Rhodes along with O's closer George Sherrill.
    From MLBTraderumors (not affiliated ), do we have a deal for you! Chance to get out from under Coco's contract?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dodgers coveting Reds relievers

I'm not in a huge hurry to ship out Cordero. He gets paid quite a bit, but he is vital to this team's success in that they are going to rely on pitching to win, and are going to try to win games 3-2. In that case, you are going to need a guy to be nails at in the 9th inning, and so far he has been.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I doubt that Jocketty sees Coco's contract as a problem, since he's the GM who won the bidding war for his services and handcuffed the Reds to it. That means he'll want a big return to part with Coco.
    /r/reds

Look at it this way. The Reds get out from under Cordero with a trade to LA. They move Bronson, maybe to Philly, and Harang really did go to the Yankees. That would put the Reds in the darn near nothing zone of payroll. Smacks too much of firesale to think the Reds would consider it but if the returns were good enough for 2010-2011 I'd be considering exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I doubt that Jocketty sees Coco's contract as a problem, since he's the GM who won the bidding war for his services and handcuffed the Reds to it. That means he'll want a big return to part with Coco.
    Krivsky signed Cordero.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I'm not in a huge hurry to ship out Cordero. He gets paid quite a bit, but he is vital to this team's success in that they are going to rely on pitching to win, and are going to try to win games 3-2. In that case, you are going to need a guy to be nails at in the 9th inning, and so far he has been.
    Cincy has already seen the first 35% (and most likely the most productive 35%) of his contract go by. Getting out from under this commitment would be a very good move if possible.

I doubt that Jocketty sees Coco's contract as a problem, since he's the GM who won the bidding war for his services and handcuffed the Reds to it.
    that would have been Krivsky.

Krivsky was the one who signed Cordero. It was November 2007, before Jocketty was even on board as the special advisor.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Krivsky signed Cordero.
    Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    that would have been Krivsky.
    Quote Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
    Krivsky was the one who signed Cordero. It was November 2007, before Jocketty was even on board as the special advisor.
    I stand corrected.

Here's another Dodger take.

And there's still the issue of acquiring bullpen help, which management considers at least equally important. The Dodgers might make that easier by sweeping the Reds this week and turning that club into a seller, because it has three relievers the Dodgers are watching -- Francisco Cordero, David Weathers and Arthur Rhodes.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 07-20-2009 at 12:28 PM.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Look at it this way. The Reds get out from under Cordero with a trade to LA. They move Bronson, maybe to Philly, and Harang really did go to the Yankees. That would put the Reds in the darn near nothing zone of payroll. Smacks too much of firesale to think the Reds would consider it but if the returns were good enough for 2010-2011 I'd be considering exactly that.
    Then all they need to do is low-ball their current players when offering them long-term contracts, shrug their shoulders when said players decline the offers and leave via FA, and then they could call themselves the Pirates!

Seriously, what good is payflex if you show zero ability to reinvest those funds properly, if at all?

That said, I would definitely be in favor of moving Arroyo and possibly Cordero if given a proper return in talent. However in that scenario, I would hang onto Harang and build for next year, instead of the proverbial "three years from now."
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-20-2009 at 12:29 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Winning games 3-2 hasn't been any more successful than winning them 9-8. I mean, we're only one game better this year than we were last year at this point.

The Reds need to start relying on pitching, offense and defense rather than focusing on a single aspect while the other two languish.

If Cordero can be traded for a return that improves the team next year, whether by what he brings back or salary relief, I'm all for it.

The flip side is that the old Dodgers/Reds rivalry boils up in me when I see the Dodgers followers arrogantly proclaiming "lets just sweep 'em, then pillage the bullpen." Arrgggh!

What kind of prospects do the Dodgers have that make sense to deal with us, since I assume a deal for a reliever is going to mean the principal(s) of the deal will be prospects.

While I don't think any of the older Reds pitchers are untradeable or untouchable, I don't understand all this selling off today to make a run down the road. A trade that makes the Reds better in August and 2010 would be fine as I think the Reds would be better with a future is now attitude, on and off the field.

Cordero has a full no trade clause this year, he's not going anywhere.

Turn Off Ads?