Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roster moves, Monday July 20

Roster moves, Monday July 20

Reds get Jared Burton and Craig Tatum from the Bats

Bats get Robert Manuel from the Reds

Although it's not on the wire yet, Brian Peterson will come up from Carolina to help Corky out behind the plate.

Peterson actually hit pretty well in Carolina. He should get a lot more playing time than he did before with the Bats.

Not sure who will fill the spot in Carolina

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Roster moves, Monday July 20

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Not sure who will fill the spot in Carolina
    I'd imagine that Chris Denove or Chris Kroski is due to come off the DL some time soon. If not, I could see Jason Bour or Jake Long getting a call-up. The only other option I can imagine is being content with the batless Justin Tordi and Korey Feiner as the only catching options.

Bour went to Carolina. Also, interestingly, the Reds signed Zach Ward as a free agent and assigned him to Sarasota.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Also, interestingly, the Reds signed Zach Ward as a free agent and assigned him to Sarasota.
    Remember when Redszone collectively cried over Krivsky trading Ward for Kyle Lohse? The irony...
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Remember when Redszone collectively cried over Krivsky trading Ward for Kyle Lohse? The irony...
    Wow, I was one of those who was upset, just not on Redszone. What went wrong with Mr. Ward?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kfm View Post
    Wow, I was one of those who was upset, just not on Redszone. What went wrong with Mr. Ward?
    Looking at the stats, his control went from solid to absolutely terrible in 2008. That suggests an injury or serious mechanical issues. From 2006 to 2009 he doubled his walk rate and cut his strikeout rate in half. Thats not normal.

low risk flyer on Ward, and I was one of those upset with the trade. He's probably filler for the FSL/Carolina season.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Looking at the stats, his control went from solid to absolutely terrible in 2008. That suggests an injury or serious mechanical issues. From 2006 to 2009 he doubled his walk rate and cut his strikeout rate in half. Thats not normal.
    I looked up his stats too and was surprised to see the number of walks he has given up. Makes you wonder if he is having some type of elbow problem. I wonder if there are any reports on his velocity. I remember that Dayton staff that had Ward, Cueto, Fisher, Bailey and one more guy that I can't remember. I thought Ward had a chance to be a very good pitcher, he was such a groundball machine.

And people were wondering why the Reds refused to promote Ward . . .

It's so nice to finally have some confidence in the Reds' scouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
    And people were wondering why the Reds refused to promote Ward . . .

It's so nice to finally have some confidence in the Reds' scouts.
    Yeah, that isn't likely the reason at all. Something happened to Ward between when he was with us and now.

I wasn't familiar with the guy back then (wasn't checking out the farms at that point), but the Sarasota roster lists him at 6-3, 250. Was he always that big, or could weight possibly be the issue?

Did Del Rosario just get promoted? He now appears on the Carolina roster.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    I wasn't familiar with the guy back then (wasn't checking out the farms at that point), but the Sarasota roster lists him at 6-3, 250. Was he always that big, or could weight possibly be the issue?
    He wasn't that big when he was here.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He wasn't that big when he was here.
    According to MLB.com, he was 6'3 225 when he was drafted out of college, so it sounds like he's gained about 25 pounds since then.

Travis Woods going to AAA

Turn Off Ads?