Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Damn Dodgers (An old/dead rivalry)

Damn Dodgers (An old/dead rivalry)

Damn realignment. I hate the Dodgers more than the Cubs. THIS was the best rivalry in baseball in the 70's/80's. My opinion. I grew up hearing my dad ridicule Tommy Lasorda any chance he could.

Hopefully the Reds break this losing streak and somehow in the future we play these guys in the playoffs. The 1995 sweep was one of my best baseball memories.

Anyone else got Dodger rivalry memories they want to share?
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Damn Dodgers (An old/dead rivalry)

I remember my dad taking a "shortcut" on our way to a sold out DHer, prob circa 1974-1975, which caused two inevitable occurrences--mom and dad started fighting since he wouldn't ask for directions, we eventually got there in about the third inning to sit in our third base line red seats that we ordered shortly after receiving the mailer for tickets. He also left the gas lid open, so every car that passed us in the bumper to bumper traffic and at lights let us know "hey, you're gas lid is open." Thanks, we didn't know that.

I don't remember a thing about the games, except it was hotter than hades.

One of my first games was a Businessman's Special. My uncle, who was Pres. of Central Trust at the time, got us tickets in the first row by the Dodgers' bullpen. Andy Messersmith was starting and reached out and shook my hand as I leaned over the railing. Although I have never been much star struck, Messersmith's gesture was huge for an 8 or 9 year old boy, so I always rooted for the guy.

Loved to hate the Dodgers back in the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Bunch of pretty boys compared to the BRM, that's how I had em pegged.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Bunch of pretty boys compared to the BRM, that's how I had em pegged.
    That is how I saw them to.

Along with their rollypolly, tub of goo manager who had to me an uneasy way of hugging all his girly boy players.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

In the 70's it was intense, but not in that completely hateful manner, sure they were Hollywood and stock full of ex outfielders playing in the infield, but their outfield was made up of outsiders like Dusty, Monday and Reggie. I used to fear the Phillies more back then.
    BUT....I hated their pitchers, they were the difference in 77/79 and I envied them for that. Later in life I learned of Park Factors and spitballs and realized I hated Tommy Lasorda more than the whole team (except Garvey.. I HATED Garvey, who would comb his hair prior to TV interviews after the game)
    That said I learned to really hate the Dodgers living i Giants country, if you think as a Reds fan you hated the Dodgers you know nothing of hate, the Dodger may not care about the Giants, but the fans in the Bay loath the Dodgers in a way that is hard to match, just as intense as it gets in MLB

As a relative youngster I've never really known the Dodger rivalry except as a concept. I do remember my grandpa hating them with a passion and he always went out of his way to get tickets when they were in town. We'd drive over from West Virginia and stay in town for the entire series. He died when I was very young but if I'm honest one of the reasons I love the Reds is my memories of going to Riverfront with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Damn realignment. I hate the Dodgers more than the Cubs. THIS was the best rivalry in baseball in the 70's/80's. My opinion. I grew up hearing my dad ridicule Tommy Lasorda any chance he could.

Hopefully the Reds break this losing streak and somehow in the future we play these guys in the playoffs. The 1995 sweep was one of my best baseball memories.

Anyone else got Dodger rivalry memories they want to share?
    I agree with you realignment killed a great rivalry. If it has stayed the same it may have died anyway considering the way both teams have gone. But still in the 70's and 80's there wasn't a better rivalry.I attended the famous doubleheader of 7-1-1973 that may have set off this rivalry. I've mentioned that a lot on here so I won't go into that again. It was always good to beat LaSorda. I always hated his bragging on the Dodgers and never could stand Garvey either. I thought he was a fake then and later proved to be. It's now a long dead rivalry that probably never will be resurrected. I'm glad I was around in it's hey day though.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Always hated the Dodgers and everything blue. The one exception for me was Reggie Smith. I had no ill will towards him for some reason. Couldn't stand Garvey and his "All American" phony smile. Hated Russell, just because he wasn't Davey. Lopes and that mustache...ugh. The Penguin, forget about it. Rick Monday..oy vey. Yeager, just despised him. Don Sutton, probably one of my all time least favorite pitchers. I could go on, but I'm getting angry just thinking about them all again.

High five!

The Dodgers are my second favorite NL team. I had a Steve Garvey poster as a kid. Ron Cey was my favorite Dodger and Vin Scully is my all time favorite announcer.

Heretic, I know!

Hated them. Saw Lasorda get thrown out during a double header around Memorial Day one year. The crowd went nuts. They all hated him. Hasn't been the same since they moved out of the NL West. That was a great rivalry.

Some that I hated that others haven't mentioned. Jimmy Wynn (damn toy cannon) Bobby Valentine, Bill Buckner, Joe Ferguson, Steve Yeager (Never mention him in the same breath as Johnny Bench, Vin Scully) Tom Paciorek, Willie Crawford, Manny Mota, Von Joshua (man I couldn't stand him) and those pitchers. Claude Osteen (why'd the Reds trade him?) Al Downing, Tommy John, Charlie Hough and that freakin knuckleball, Rick Rhoden, Burt Hooten, Doug Rau, Mike Marshall. Listing those names still makes my blood boil. Still hate 'em.
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 07-20-2009 at 08:46 PM.

For a Level Playing Field

Hated them too. They were the main rival for my fav team when I was a kid. I always disliked catcher Joe Ferguson the most. Don't know why, but he was the guy I disliked more than others. I did root for them in 1974, 1977 and 1978 in the WS. Only b/c they were National League and I didn't like any team (except the Tigers) from that other league.

I did like Walter Alston and Steve Yeager. Alston always seemed like a good guy and was from Ohio (Miami grad). Yeager played HS ball in Dayton (Meadowdale) and his nephew went to elementary school with me.

I still root for anyone but the Dodgers to win the NL West. Just a thing from the old days that makes me root against them today.

High five!

I once saw Eric Davis hit a grand slam for the Dodgers against the Reds at Dodger stadium. Brutal.

Turn Off Ads?