Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Phillips' mistake draws Dusty's ire

Phillips' mistake draws Dusty's ire

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...r-breakingnews

LOS ANGELES – It didn’t look like a big play at the time. Just a case of Brandon being Brandon.

Brandon Phillips was thrown out at second for the first out of the game Monday night. The Reds took a 3-0 lead on the same play.

But when you look back on what would become a 7-5 Reds loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers, it turned out to be a huge play.

"We should have gotten more than that in the first inning,” Reds manager Dusty Baker said. “You got to hustle on that ball there. It’s a totally different inning. That was a rally-killer for us.”

The Reds were facing Jason Schmidt, who was making his first start in 25 months, and it looked like he might not get out of the first inning.

Willy Taveras led off the game with a deep drive to left-center. He cruised in with a triple. Baker came out and argued that it was a home run. The umpires went in and looked at it on video replay. They eventually ruled it a triple.

Jerry Hairston Jr. doubled off the wall in left to get Taveras in. Joey Votto hit one off the wall in right for a long single. Hairston had to hold at third. Votto stole second. He went to third, and Hairston scored, on Russell Martin's throwing error.

Phillips hit a very catchable ball to right. It fell in front of Andre Ethier. Phillips, who did not break hard out of the batter’s box, was out at second. Votto scored to make it 3-0.

“I was happy to get the RBI in," Phillips said. “I was happy I finally did something with runners in scoring position. I hit the ball to the outfield. . I was like ‘damn, I missed it.’ I put my head down.

“I didn’t know he missed until I looked back up. I could’ve done worse and not gotten the run in at all.”

“I (messed) up." Phillips admitted. "That’s my second time this year not hustling. It won’t happen again. I (messed) up.”

Baker was still livid after the game.

“You’ve got to play hard all the time,” Baker said. “That was big, real big. We had him on the ropes. We killed the rally. . . . We end up losing by two runs.”Phillips has a history of this.

“Hey, man, we’ve all talked to him until we’re blue in the face,” Baker said. “This was going on long before I got here.”

The play became big quickly.

Micah Owings could not hold the early lead. He went five innings, allowing seven runs on nine hits.

It was the Reds' 10th straight loss in Dodger Stadium. They haven’t won in L.A. since Brandon Claussen beat the Dodgers July 28, 2005.

Schmidt would get out of the first without further damage.

“We were taking strikes and swinging at balls,” Baker said.

Rafael Furcal started Dodger first with a bunt double. He just popped it over Edwin Encarnacion's head. Russell Martin followed with an RBI single.

Micah Owings struck out Manny Ramirez on three pitches.

Ethier followed with a drive to right that Dickerson misplayed into a double. Casey Blake doubled in two runs to tie it. James Loney singled Blake in, and the Dodgers led 4-3.

“We score three in the first,” Owings said. “I’ve got to get us back to the dugout. I didn’t do it tonight.”

Owings got two quick outs to start the second. Martin singled. This time, Owings fell behind Ramirez 2-0.

Ramirez launched one to left for his 10th and it was 6-3.

The Reds would not get another hit until Phillips singled with two out in the fifth. He stole second. But Laynce Nix popped out to strand him.

Ethier made it a 7-3 game in the bottom of the fifth with his 19th home run of year, a no doubter to right.

The Reds scored two in the eighth. Votto led off with a walk. Phillips singled.

The Dodgers brought in Ramon Troncosco to face Nix. Nix hit one off second baseman Juan Castro’s glove. It was scored an error. Votto scored and Phillips went to third. Encarnacion hit into a double play. Phillips scored but the air was out of the rally.
    Last edited by BlastFurnace; 07-21-2009 at 10:11 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Phillips' mistake draws Dusty's ire

So why doesn't Dusty sit him for awhile to get point across?

^no kidding, dusty sounds like a baby whining that “Hey, man, we’ve all talked to him until we’re blue in the face,” Baker said. “This was going on long before I got here.”
    Sounds like a kid who knows he stinks, but trying to pass the buck along. Your the manager dude, it is on you.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    ^no kidding, dusty sounds like a baby whining that “Hey, man, we’ve all talked to him until we’re blue in the face,” Baker said. “This was going on long before I got here.”
    Sounds like a kid who knows he stinks, but trying to pass the buck along. Your the manager dude, it is on you.
    My thoughts exactly, 20,000 fine and sit him for 3 games

This kinda reminds of Dusty's "It's not my team' quote from last year. How does he expect the players to take responsibility if he doesn't? I really don't care what bad habits Brandon had before Baker got here. Baker has been in control for a year and a half. Talk is cheap. Nothing has changed. It's on you, dude! Phillips would sit the rest of the road trip if it was up to me. Not like this team is going anywhere. Someone please wake up Walt and let him know this team has issues he may want to address, since the manager does not seem to want to do his job.

I'd never say Jerry Narron was a good Manager, but he would have sat Phillips. Of course his next move would have been to play Griffey at 2nd, or some other weird move.

It is only my opinion, but Phillips should have not gone out to play in the bottom of the first. Dusty didn't have to rant and rave at him. he only needed to turn to Sutton and say, "Get your glove." Actions speak louder than words.

It isn't just Phillips baserunning miscue. It is evident all over the place. On Rosales double the other night I could plainly see Berry windmilling him to third. Rosales was busy watching the play over his shoulder. He never looked at Berry once. I can understand people questioning Berry's desision, but It is not Rosales job during the play. There have also been times on singles when you can plainly see the players watching the play over their shoulders while running to third. it is especially telling when the annoucers talk about good baserunning when you can plainly see it is horrible base-running.

If anything gets Baker fired this will be it.

Forget about Brandon being Brandon. It is time he started being the multi-year multi-million dollar player he is paid to be.
    Last edited by flash; 07-21-2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: spelling

Phillips

I would be willing to say that 95 out of 100 MLB players who hit high lazy fly balls to right field, would run the same way BP did last night..BUT....this cant keep happening.

I love BP, but he needs to get a kick in the ass.

Even on ground balls, imagine how many more times he would be on base if a bad shortstop or 3rd baseman came up firing on a easy grounder because they feared he could beat it out, that extra pressure could get him on base 5 to 10 more times a season.

I am a big fan of BP, but someone needs to step up and get his ass in gear, and that lies on Crusty. OBviously there is no respect there, or very little, this has happened before and still not fixed.

Re: Phillips

It gets tiresome to see ball players keep doing it. I was screaming at Votto through the TV for grandstanding watching his ball off the wall right before that, and then Brandon proceeds to surpass his showboating tenfold. This is a bad team!

thorn

With the injuries we have now and the lack of quality players to play 2B, no way I sit him now. Besides, he ain't the only one to do this stuff, it happens everywhere. Why wasn't Votto on 2B on his hit? I don't accept the execuse he held up at first because of Harrison, he should have know if it was a hit Harrison would have at least been on 3rd, not stayed on 2nd. Did anyone see Manny last night? Yea I know, he's not a Red and no one cares, but it happens. A good but chewing is all that is needed, otherwise you apply the same standard to all the members of the team.

How many times he going to let Phillips do it before he actually punishes him?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Don't want to pile on Phillips, but did anyone see the sacrifice the Dodgers tried in the eighth. Hanigan threw out Loney at third. Hanigan made a good quick throw then it looked like EE wanted to throw to first, but didn't. The camera didn't show it , but was anyone even there? That is Phillips's responsibility.

It is only my opinion, but Phillips should have not gone out to play in the bottom of the first. Dusty didn't have to rant and rave at him. he only needed to turn to Sutton and say, "Get your glove." Actions speak louder than words.

+ 1. if Dusty is "blue in the face" then try something besides yak yak, dude.

I like BP, but he wants to be the leader, so it's up to him to set the tone.

It isn't just Phillips baserunning miscue. It is evident all over the place. On Rosales double the other night I could plainly see Berry windmilling him to third. Rosales was busy watching the play over his shoulder. He never looked at Berry once. I can understand people questioning Berry's desision, but It is not Rosales job during the play

Here, I gotta disagree with you. I know the exact play you're talking about (I commented on it in the game thread) and if Rosales had tried to take third, he would have been out by 10 steps. Berry's judgements impress me not. If I'm a Reds baserunner, I'm thinking self preservation. We don't get enough guys on base to let Berry squander them.

Re: Phillips

Everyone ripped me for suggesting Phillips be traded.

Turn Off Ads?