Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Master cleanse

They call me "chef"

Master cleanse

I just spent 15 minutes explaining to a girl friend that the master cleanse is a sham. Why? Why do I live in a world where this conversation can occur?

Everyone, in the spirit of developing a sister debate (or maybe a second cousin once removed debate) to the ghost thread, I want to hear people who are for or against the master cleanse. And those in the middle who agree lemon pepper water is delicious but lemon pepper chicken is delicious-er!

Last edited by paintmered; 07-21-2009 at 09:36 AM. Reason: by request

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Master cleanse

I must admit I just crawled out of my cave, but what is "master cleanse"?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I must admit I just crawled out of my cave, but what is "master cleanse"?
    The brother of this guy!

Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Real Coffee is the best cleanse... dark roast

I did the master cleanse 3 years ago and wouldn't call it a "sham" but it shouldn't be done with the sole purpose of losing weight although it does help with that. What I do think it helped me with is resetting my metobolism and altering my eating habits. FTR, I have lost around 25 pounds since then although the last 15 came from a lot of excersize and a big change in habits. I would consider doing it agin though...I felt great after I did.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Real Coffee is the best cleanse... dark roast
    Around here, people just eat at The Varsity.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Around here, people just eat at The Varsity.
    I saw that place of Food Network...looks awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanfalcon View Post
    As awesome as anyplace you can smell from 200 yards away while you're driving down the highway I suppose

How many days did you go for, Pedro?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanfalcon View Post
    It's so awesome, you'll only need to eat there once.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

On the brink of disaster

Not to discount Pedro, but most of the success people have with diets and exercise is a change in attitude, which Pedro clearly accomplished by changing diet and exercise habits. The master cleanse can have an effect, but I would suspect that it is mainly phsycological. If you feel like you did something good for your body then you are likely to feel better after doing it, which actually does have a positive impact on your health. I suspect I could sell a "miracle" water claiming that it will cause you to lose weight and I would get some response saying that it actually helped.

I did for it 10 days. The most noticable thing for me was that my sinuses cleared completely up and I had no mucus. I also couldn't eat cheese for about 4 months afterward as it just grossed me out. The most surprising thing is how much energy I had while doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I did for it 10 days. The most noticable thing for me was that my sinuses cleared completely up and I had no mucus. I also couldn't eat cheese for about 4 months afterward as it just grossed me out. The most surprising thing is how much energy I had while doing it.
    My wife has been a health fanatic since I've known her. Her dad recommended to us a few years back so we tried it. It's a good starter for weight loss, but an even better detoxifier. I wouldn't recommend 'at all' for someone wanting to lose weight, other than a good boost to lower your appetite.

It's brutal on day 3, but day 4 is full of energy and it only gets better. Something about letting cayenne and lemon stimulate your digestive tract for a week......

We haven't done it in a couple years, as we've been able to eliminate all the garbage from our diets and get into a decent exercise routine.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I am a pharmacy student and have worked in a pharmacy for a while. It should be noted that this does not make me a qualified medical adviser...yet.
    Based on what I have learned, anything that clears your bowls out like that is probably bad for you. You have beneficial flora living in your intestines which help process most of your nutrients. If you go through a process that wipes out that flora (like taking some antibiotics), you set yourself up for other potentially harmful bacteria to take over and may get infections, chronic diarrhea etc.
    The pharmacist I work for refuses to sell anyone the over the counter flushes and I think he would consider them not only to be a sham, but harmful.
    So IMO, save the flush for when you get your colonoscopy.

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingRed View Post
    I am a pharmacy student and have worked in a pharmacy for a while. It should be noted that this does not make me a qualified medical adviser...yet.
    Based on what I have learned, anything that clears your bowls out like that is probably bad for you. You have beneficial flora living in your intestines which help process most of your nutrients. If you go through a process that wipes out that flora (like taking some antibiotics), you set yourself up for other potentially harmful bacteria to take over and may get infections, chronic diarrhea etc.
    The pharmacist I work for refuses to sell anyone the over the counter flushes and I think he would consider them not only to be a sham, but harmful.
    So IMO, save the flush for when you get your colonoscopy.
    This is true and when you break the fast there is a process for getting your body ready to re-intake solid food. Regardless, this could still be a potential problem that should be considered.

Turn Off Ads?