Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hanigan

Re: Hanigan

How about answering the question? What took Hannigan so long to get to the big leagues?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by big boy View Post
    How about answering the question? What took Hannigan so long to get to the big leagues?
    I'm not sure what took him so long.In the minors he hit for avg., got on base and played defense just about as good as he has done in the bigs so far.I guess it could have been because we had such great catchers blocking him.How is a young guy supposed to ever get a chance when you have David Ross,Javier Valentine,Jason Larue and especially Paul Bako.

Who really knows. The team had given out bad contracts to catchers, so they felt obligated to continually carry them on the big league roster. But like I said earlier, I am not saying Hanigan is an all-star, just a solid big league catcher.

And hey, it took Dazzy Vance until he was 31 until he stuck in the majors, so it isn't like there aren't cases when players don't come up until later and still produce.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppa View Post
    The guy has 50 hits in 156 AB's.........and he's drawn 24 walks. You can't use such a skewed stat as RBI's against the guy. This team is stinking up the League in run production. All Hanigan can do is get on base......it's not his fault that Dusty has been hitting him downorder and there's nobody on base when he comes up.

And last night's game was a Catcher's defensive clinic.

Yeah...............................I'm a 29 fan.
    not to mention Dusty was batting him way down in the lineup when he did get a chance to play. Could be part of the reason.

It goes back to the whole moneyball idea...I am sure Hanigan didn't have a "baseball body" and he probably didn't get much money thrown at him. So instead of pushing along those who perform, they want to push along those who have the highest ceiling and they have thrown the most money at. Not to mention we have had constant management who is infatuated with an average fluke season (see David Ross).

who cares.

Turn Off Ads?