Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rick Reilly takes aim at Tiger

Re: Rick Reilly takes aim at Tiger

Few things are better than hearing him drop and F bomb on live TV.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I am over Tiger much like I was and am still over Jordan.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I'm probably in the minority, but I enjoy/get a kick out of every Tiger outburst.
    I like it too. Whoopty-freaking doo. He's human. He drops F-bombs. So what! I do too. And so do many golfers. This isn't a big deal at all. He's just showing that he cares and doesn't accept mediocrity.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I like it too. Whoopty-freaking doo. He's human. He drops F-bombs. So what! I do too. And so do many golfers. This isn't a big deal at all. He's just showing that he cares and doesn't accept mediocrity.
    I guess Jack didn't care....right? Because if you really "care" you throw clubs and show your lack of a vocabulary. I don't respect anyone who curses in front of children and there are plently of children outside the ropes at PGA events.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

Tiger looks frustrated frequently these days. That is what I mind. He has tremendous abilities, yet he looks dissatisfied a lot of the time while he is playing. He consistently displays grace and candor while talking to the media. His game is not what it was even last year. That's life, Tiger. He's trying to get back what he had. If he doesn't get it back, will we continue to see petulance and lack of charm from the king?

Golf is a humbling game. Even for the best golfers in the world.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    IMO, golfers have some of the worst mouths around, profanity wise.

While I enjoy a good club throwing tirade, I also enjoy to drop my own profanity bombs, as well as be a tad self depricating and remind myself that I'm a little girl or I'm a woman when I hit a shot fat, or not get a putt to the hole, or underclub and leave it short.

Not the most politically or gender correct, but it gets me thru rounds, and always gets a chuckle out of playing partners.

Who doesn't get a chuckle out of a 6'1" 190 lbs dude calling themself Nancy after a bad shot?

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    I guess Jack didn't care....right? Because if you really "care" you throw clubs and show your lack of a vocabulary. I don't respect anyone who curses in front of children and there are plently of children outside the ropes at PGA events.
    Many times golfers within the ropes don't see those outside the ropes b/c they are so focused.

Man, woman, child, elderly. Doesn't matter, they often don't know they are there due to tunnel vision.

Many times golfers within the ropes don't see those outside the ropes b/c they are so focused.

Man, woman, child, elderly. Doesn't matter, they often don't know they are there due to tunnel vision.

Now this is a world-class rationalization. No matter how much "tunnel vision"
    they have working, I got this feeling they know the crowd is there. Just a hunch.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Michael Jordan wasn't the greatest guy either. Kobe constantly scowls. Pujols is often surly. Being the best in the world requires a level of focus, determination, and devotion that most people can't even dream of. Those sponsors signed up for Tiger and profit off of him. So on top of that, he's supposed to be nice when people interfere with him doing his job. He's supposed to say "gosh darnit" when he hits a bad shot.

Rick Reilly has gone downhill quickly since moving to ESPN.

FWIW, put me in with those who think that role models don't have any responsibility to those who idolize them. The good deeds they do, the good examples they set are what should make them idolized in the first place. If you don't like the example they set, communicate that to your kids. Parents and communities should raise kids, not star athletes. If you want your kid to learn good behavior on the golf course, teach him.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    IMO, golfers have some of the worst mouths around, profanity wise.

While I enjoy a good club throwing tirade, I also enjoy to drop my own profanity bombs, as well as be a tad self depricating and remind myself that I'm a little girl or I'm a woman when I hit a shot fat, or not get a putt to the hole, or underclub and leave it short.

Not the most politically or gender correct, but it gets me thru rounds, and always gets a chuckle out of playing partners.

Who doesn't get a chuckle out of a 6'1" 190 lbs dude calling themself Nancy after a bad shot?
    If you think golfers are the most obvious examples of people who use profanity, you must live a very sheltered life and work in an easy, uncompetitive field.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Michael Jordan wasn't the greatest guy either. Kobe constantly scowls. Pujols is often surly. Being the best in the world requires a level of focus, determination, and devotion that most people can't even dream of. Those sponsors signed up for Tiger and profit off of him. So on top of that, he's supposed to be nice when people interfere with him doing his job. He's supposed to say "gosh darnit" when he hits a bad shot.

FWIW, put me in with those who think that role models don't have any responsibility to those who idolize them. The good deeds they do, the good examples they set are what should make them idolized in the first place. If you don't like the example they set, communicate that to your kids. Parents and communities should raise kids, not star athletes. If you want your kid to learn good behavior on the golf course, teach him.
    Yeah, that's how I see it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

I can't recall any other golfer acting like Tiger. And FWIW golf is a much different sport than baseball and basketball. It is known as the gentlemans game and most are supposed to act accordingly.

The biggest issue that I have with Tiger what he displays is unsportsmanlike conduct. In any tournament I have ever played in, if you act like that you are stroked.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    If you think golfers are the most obvious examples of people who use profanity, you must live a very sheltered life and work in an easy, uncompetitive field.
    I have a problem with your post for several reasons:

1) You don't assume someone lives a very sheltered life b/c of a post they've made. You shouldn't assume anything about someone's personal life. You have no clue what Highlife does.

2) It is true golfers have terrible mouths. I believe golfers have the worst mouths in all of sports. It's truely incredible how golf brings out the worst in people. Personally, I need to calm my mouth down out there, but it's really, really hard.

I think it can be argued that other sports are as difficult or more difficult than golf, but I don't any sport comes close to being as frustrating as golf. I've played just about every sport and nothing is close to golf as getting under my skin.

3) I've played in hundreds of golf tournaments in my life and there are probably just a couple of players that I've played with that don't curse. It's very common to toss out some bad words while playing. If you've ever been inside the ropes or close to the ropes for that matter, you would clearly and easily see that golfers do have some terrible mouths.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Now this is a world-class rationalization. No matter how much "tunnel vision"
    they have working, I got this feeling they know the crowd is there. Just a hunch.
    My post was based off conversations I've had with Pros on blocking out distractions and what not.

When they are between the ropes, they are ridiculously focused, and it really is tunnel vision.

One of the only ways some Pros realize they have a captive audience is when they hit a shot outside the ropes and it strikes a patron. All of a sudden, Pros know their surroundings.

It's not a rationalization at all, it's reporting based on observation. Sure, they know they have a crowd, but they aren't focused on the crowd, and they definitely aren't looking at particular faces in the crowd.

Turn Off Ads?