Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 52

Thread: Rick Reilly takes aim at Tiger

  1. #31
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Rick Reilly takes aim at Tiger

    Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    If you think golfers are the most obvious examples of people who use profanity, you must live a very sheltered life and work in an easy, uncompetitive field.
    Should I have said sailors instead?

    There's that phrase "mouth like a sailor", so I guess I should have gone there?

    I know plenty of construction workers, and they have bad mouths, so I should have said construction workers instead?

    I apologize that I live a very sheltered life, but I don't see how my commentary on golfers having bad mouths has anything to do with me working in an easy, uncompetitive field.

    Ju got some 'splanin' to do Lucy...

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,111

    Re: Rick Reilly takes aim at Tiger

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Should I have said sailors instead?

    There's that phrase "mouth like a sailor", so I guess I should have gone there?

    I know plenty of construction workers, and they have bad mouths, so I should have said construction workers instead?

    I apologize that I live a very sheltered life, but I don't see how my commentary on golfers having bad mouths has anything to do with me working in an easy, uncompetitive field.

    Ju got some 'splanin' to do Lucy...
    Yes, you should have used the example of construction workers. I agree with you there.
    Reading over my post, I'm not sure of the point I was trying to make between your comment and my point about swearer's field of work. I can't really defend it so I withdraw it, with an apology. As an attempt to explain, I see a connection at my job with people who frequently swear and their commensurate sense of privilege and (paradoxically) their stress level. So I perceive that sales, law, politics all are full of foul-mouthed people because of both the presence of self-confidence and the competitive nature of those fields.

  4. #33
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,038

    Re: Rick Reilly takes aim at Tiger

    I understand well the frustrations the game can present. I also know what it's like to throw a good tantrum on the golf course. I've thrown a few in my day. I also looked like a total immature idiot while doing so. Now, I try to diffuse my frustration with humor rather than acting out.

    It doesn't make it any less embarrassing if it happens in front of four people or forty million. I remember well the tirade of profanity he let loose on the 18th tee at the 2000 U.S. Open at Pebble Beach. It was eye opening, and I never thought of Tiger the same way since. He seriously needs to watch video of these little outbursts and put some thought towards if they're helping or hurting him.

    I don't like this behavior from Tiger. I don't like it from anyone. If he's that miserable on the course, then maybe he needs to take a little break and re-gather himself.
    Last edited by paintmered; 07-23-2009 at 09:27 PM.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  5. #34
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: Rick Reilly takes aim at Tiger

    Honestly, it doesn't bother me a bit.

    What do you think you'd hear if you put microphones on the football or baseball field or hockey rink?

    You can't go around wondering where the cameras or the microphones are placed. It's a part of competition on the highest levels. It's not charm school.

    The networks have no business at all sticking their nose in it. The game is what matters. Not the delicate sensibilities of the media, who probably like the controversy for ratings, if truth be told.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  6. #35
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,740

    Re: Rick Reilly takes aim at Tiger

    Professional golf is about the only sport I can think of where the athletes demand, and generally receive, a respectful silence from the audience as they are putting the ball into play. I don't think it is asking that much for the golfers to in return behave with some decorum. If they can't do that, then lets let the fans yell at the golfers like they do at major league baseball players and NBA players.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  7. #36
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: Rick Reilly takes aim at Tiger

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Professional golf is about the only sport I can think of where the athletes demand, and generally receive, a respectful silence from the audience as they are putting the ball into play. I don't think it is asking that much for the golfers to in return behave with some decorum. If they can't do that, then lets let the fans yell at the golfers like they do at major league baseball players and NBA players.

    With all due respect, I see no connection. They demand silence because of the nature of the mental process involved in a golf swing. Every golfer knows how distracting it is to hear a loud noise in the middle of their backswing.

    To expect them to be polite in the heat of battle is asking quite a lot.

    If golfers spent their careers playing and practicing with loud noises going on, they would probably be a lot more adept in blocking it out. They simply don't, and unless you have a teacher like Earl Woods who throws tees at you and makes noises on purpose in your training sessions, you're most likely not going to be very good at ignoring the outside influences.

    Remember John McEnroe's outbursts whenever anyone dared to make a noise when he was in his service motion? Every sport has its standards in this regard. You can't compare apples to oranges on this one, the conditions are too different between the mental requirements of each motor skill.

    A server in tennis would be much more distracted, as the initiator of the action, than would be the receiver of serve, who is in a reactive mode. Same sport, different mental requirements for a different type of motor skill.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  8. #37
    Miami Redhawks Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincy
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: Rick Reilly takes aim at Tiger

    Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    With all due respect, I see no connection. They demand silence because of the nature of the mental process involved in a golf swing. Every golfer knows how distracting it is to hear a loud noise in the middle of their backswing.

    To expect them to be polite in the heat of battle is asking quite a lot.

    If golfers spent their careers playing and practicing with loud noises going on, they would probably be a lot more adept in blocking it out. They simply don't, and unless you have a teacher like Earl Woods who throws tees at you and makes noises on purpose in your training sessions, you're most likely not going to be very good at ignoring the outside influences.

    Remember John McEnroe's outbursts whenever anyone dared to make a noise when he was in his service motion? Every sport has its standards in this regard. You can't compare apples to oranges on this one, the conditions are too different between the mental requirements of each motor skill.

    A server in tennis would be much more distracted, as the initiator of the action, than would be the receiver of serve, who is in a reactive mode. Same sport, different mental requirements for a different type of motor skill.
    Great post!
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

    www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

  9. #38
    Member VR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    8,407

    Re: Rick Reilly takes aim at Tiger

    I've always thought that one small change would make golf the worlds #1 watched sport. Have these guys play with their own money.


    Make this putt Tiger, you only owe Mickelson 100k. Miss it, it's 1Mil.
    THEN we would see some F-bombs and club throwing. Any amateur can tell you that putting your own $ out there....even if it's .25 cent skins, greatly elevates your club throwing potential.

    This, of course would only remain the worlds top sport until hockey made pads and helmets illegal.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

  10. #39
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,245

    Re: Rick Reilly takes aim at Tiger

    Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Honestly, it doesn't bother me a bit.

    What do you think you'd hear if you put microphones on the football or baseball field or hockey rink?

    You can't go around wondering where the cameras or the microphones are placed. It's a part of competition on the highest levels. It's not charm school.

    The networks have no business at all sticking their nose in it. The game is what matters. Not the delicate sensibilities of the media, who probably like the controversy for ratings, if truth be told.

    With all due respect, I see no connection. They demand silence because of the nature of the mental process involved in a golf swing. Every golfer knows how distracting it is to hear a loud noise in the middle of their backswing.

    To expect them to be polite in the heat of battle is asking quite a lot.

    If golfers spent their careers playing and practicing with loud noises going on, they would probably be a lot more adept in blocking it out. They simply don't, and unless you have a teacher like Earl Woods who throws tees at you and makes noises on purpose in your training sessions, you're most likely not going to be very good at ignoring the outside influences.

    Remember John McEnroe's outbursts whenever anyone dared to make a noise when he was in his service motion? Every sport has its standards in this regard. You can't compare apples to oranges on this one, the conditions are too different between the mental requirements of each motor skill.

    A server in tennis would be much more distracted, as the initiator of the action, than would be the receiver of serve, who is in a reactive mode. Same sport, different mental requirements for a different type of motor skill.
    I tend to agree, RFS62. The language around most every sport that I ever participated in was not the Queen's English, although it was so creative at times that it seemed to be an art form. I remember striking out once in High School and muttering the "F" word very angrily, but softly, walking back to the dugout. My mother saw this and called me on the carpet in the car on the way home. My dad intervened and told her, "What is said between the lines, stays between the lines. It isn't necessarily right, but don't question it." That was the end of the story. I felt bad, that my mom had seen what I muttered, but I was also glad that my father understood the heat of the battle.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden

  11. #40
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,052

    Re: Rick Reilly takes aim at Tiger

    Reilly's article sounds like a disgruntled middle aged white sports reporter (DMAWSR's) who is fishing for an angle without having anything to really write about. DMAWSR's are the Debbie Downer'sof sports.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  12. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    26

    Re: Rick Reilly takes aim at Tiger

    Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I'm not a good enough golfer to get mad on the course. Neither are most golfers.
    same here. if you can't laugh at yourself when you're as horrendous as i am, then you're going to break alot of things. haha.

  13. #42
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,501

    Re: Rick Reilly takes aim at Tiger

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Few things are better than hearing him drop and F bomb on live TV.
    It's the best! There's nothing the FCC can do about it!

  14. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,260

    Re: Rick Reilly takes aim at Tiger

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Professional golf is about the only sport I can think of where the athletes demand, and generally receive, a respectful silence from the audience as they are putting the ball into play.
    Umm, there's this sport involving a fuzzy yellow ball and several long-hairs with aluminum snowshoes.

    Seriously, this "will no one think of the CHILDREN" crap is so tiresome. Tiger gets pissed. Get over it.

  15. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,319

    Re: Rick Reilly takes aim at Tiger

    Read that article the day the British Open ended. That was a great article.

  16. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,048

    Re: Rick Reilly takes aim at Tiger

    Relevance > Rick Reilly


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25