The trading market
Posted by JohnFay at 7/22/2009 11:30 AM EDT on Cincinnati.com
The annual three-day beat down in L.A. has all but guaranteed the fact the Reds will be sellers as we close in on the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. Here's my list of most likely to go:

1. Arthur Rhodes: A left-hander, very effective and very cheap -- the remainder of $2 million on this year's contract and $2 million next year.

2. David Weathers: He's more expensive than Rhodes -- the remainder of $3.9 million for this year. He doesn't have a limited non-trade like he did last year.

3. Bronson Arroyo: Tonight's starter. He's on a streak of 16 scoreless innings. He's pitched well in the season half throughout his career and he's at his best last. He's 17-6 in September and October. He makes $11 million next year, but that's pocket change to the big market teams.

4. Aaron Harang: He's struggled lately. But with good run support, he could easily 9-6 instead of 5-10. Due to make $12.5 next year with an option for $12.75 in 2012 with a $2 million buyout. But given the way Micah Owings and Homer Bailey pitched the last two nights the Reds might want ot hang on to both Arroyo and Harang.

5. Francisco Cordero: He's owed $25 million for 2010 and 2011, so the talk about him going to any team looking for set-up help is silly. If a closer gets hurt, however, that's a different story. The other thing is Brad Lidge has struggled for Philly. It's going to hard for the Phillies to repeat with a struggling closer.

6. Jerry Hairston Jr.: He's a good utility player. Doesn't make a lot of money.

I'd be surprised if anyone who the Reds would be willing to give up would draw much interest.

And the Reds aren't going to trade Brandon Phillips because he didn't run out that flyball the other night. That's not to say there's no chance that he's traded, but I'd be stunned if he was.

The name out there on the rumor mill that I think would be a good fit for the Reds is Toronto's Marco Scutaro. He's having a career year at 33. But he's cheap and could fill in at shortstop next year until the Reds find a long-term solution. He also can play second, third, outfield. He's a free agent after the season.

http://tinyurl.com/ntdmu4