Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BA's Untouchable Prospects

Re: BA's Untouchable Prospects

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Jay Bruce didnt hit a homer for 40 ABs at the major league level and got hurt. Its obvious his power was sapped also. Probably will never hit another one either.
    Brandon Larson hit a lot of HR's in College. He was the next Babe Ruth.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Brandon Larson hit a lot of HR's in College. He was the next Babe Ruth.
    Yonder Alonso isnt 25 years old either, or even the same type of hitter Larson was.

I do see your point though, 60 at bats normally means a lot more than the others.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    You mean he had power in college with metal bats? That almost never happens. Just like it almost never happens that a college power hitter has trouble adjusting to wood bats, or better pitching. You can say all he needed was just 1 HR to make his power numbers spike. Well, he didn't hit that 1 HR. He got hurt. So there is no way to say he'd have hit that HR the next day or a week after.

And don't flatter yourself. I don't call you out. I call them out... the player and the organization. They owe us far better than we have been given.
    The guy is slugging .470 this year after spending 90% of it in the Florida State League (where he slugged .503 BTW). How many Reds prospects, or prospects in general have gone through the FSL and slugged .500? Its not a really long list. You are making BIG assumptions based on an extremely small sample size with Alonso's power and yeah, you did call me out on it. When you say
    the results say Alonso doesn't hit LH pitching, hasn't produced any real power after leaving the league that suppresses said power, remember, like you said with Stubbs? We were supposed to see this spike in his power once he left the FSL. Never happened.
    That is calling me out. And sure, we will never know what would have happened because of the injury, but the sample is so small that 1 simple at bat has the potential to swing a guys Isolated Power over 30 points. So to suggest it 'never happened' based on less than 1 months worth of at bats is not a good argument.

Apparently there aren't any untouchables any more as any REDS' prospect can be had for an over-the-hill veteran.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Apparently there aren't any untouchables any more as any REDS' prospect can be had for an over-the-hill veteran.
    LOL.

So true.

The twitterers and bloggers almost had me with Alonso. It thought, "man, only the Reds could be this stupid."

Then, I was relieved to find out that Alonso was not part of the deal. Then I hear Stewart and I'm thinking, this could be possible too, because "man, only the Reds could be this stupid."

Sure enough, the Reds did not disappoint.

They are stupid.

Anyone wanna start guessing where our other untouchables are going to be traded and who for?

It makes me wonder about our guys so much more now.

Todd Frazier is probably not a future Red now that hes probably going to be blocked by Rolen. I like Frazier a lot as a 3rd baseman. LF not really so much.

If we were looking to trade Harang and Arroyo what were the Reds back up plans? They surely didnt expect to go into next year with a rotation of Volquez (coming off who knows what type of injury) Cueto, and Bailey. Its clear Stewart was all but gone so I guess they think Maloney and Wood are options. They would have had to at least sign one starter.

What does this mean for Stubbs. Its pretty likely he wont be seeing the majors any time soon given the big time love for Taveras they currently are showing. Same with Heisey.

It certainly makes you wonder if we thought this farm was growing into a nice little factory or if they are going to continue to just toss out prospects like its candy when it comes to trades.

Holy crap, Dee Gordon can fly! I didn't realize he has 59 SB this year in only 101 games.

It makes me wonder about our guys so much more now.

Todd Frazier is probably not a future Red now that hes probably going to be blocked by Rolen. I like Frazier a lot as a 3rd baseman. LF not really so much.
    How many games has Frazier played at 3rd in Carolina?

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    How many games has Frazier played at 3rd in Carolina?
    Does it matter?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Does it matter?
    No, it doesn't. We thought it did, but Walt Jocketty said a few weeks ago that they know Todd can play 3B.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No, it doesn't. We thought it did, but Walt Jocketty said a few weeks ago that they know Todd can play 3B.
    Exactly. I view him as a 3rd base prospect until they call him up and dont play him there.

I'm not sure about the conclusions suggested above about Frazier and/or Stubbs or Heisey. One prime candidate for the LF spot was moved in the trade--EE, so that moves Todd Frazier up the list of possible LFers. People in the FO may, for all we know, rate him more highly than some here; he may be opening day's LFer next year. I also read the trade as Jocketty's just coming to the end of his willingness to deal with certain players, and he may very well come to the same point with Taveras, who still looks suspiciously to me a lot more like a Dusty Baker than a Walt Jocketty style player. I look for Taveras to be next year's 5th outfielder, if he makes the roster. And if, as I suspect, Stubbs is right now beginning to make his final minor league push, he'll be opening day CF in Cinti.

If they dont find a taker for Taveras then Stubbs wont see the ML roster. Of course they probably will bring him up and play him in LF because you cant have Taveras out of the line up ever.

How much do you guys trust Cozart continuing his walk rate?

Turn Off Ads?