Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Advice: What would you do?

  1. #1
    Member Reds4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,928

    Advice: What would you do?

    Ok, here is the situation. I am currently unemployed, by choice. I resigned from my last position in December 2008 for a number of reasons. I have been looking around, haven't found much I'm really interested in. Have been on 12+ interviews, several second interviews.

    After two interviews recently with a company, I have been offered a job, and I think I'm going to decline it. The reasons:

    1) The hours seem bad, 50+ per week, and it's salary so no OT. This is one of the reasons I left my last job, I was tired of working insane hours and having no life.

    2) There is a temp currently filling the position, and has been doing it for the last 10 months. The temp was offered the position on a permenant basis, and declined. To me, this is a MAJOR red flag for this job.

    3) The commute. It takes me 45-50 minutes each direction, in good weather and normal traffic. I'm guessing in the winter, you could double it, easily. It's 65 miles a day, round trip.

    So, am I totally nuts for turning this down? I am not hurting for cash, I have enough money to get me though several years of unemployment if necessary.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,388

    Re: Advice: What would you do?

    You're not nuts- if it doesn't feel right to you then it's probably smart to stay away from it. Besides, if you left your last job because of the hours, then why go back to a potentially similar situation?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  4. #3
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,957

    Re: Advice: What would you do?

    Reads like a smart move to me. It seems like it would be a job that you would hate and you'd probably be out looking for something else sooner rather than later. Better to wait and keep looking as long as your finances are straight, which you typed that they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  5. #4
    Member Reds4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: Advice: What would you do?

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Reads like a smart move to me. It seems like it would be a job that you would hate and you'd probably be out looking for something else sooner rather than later. Better to wait and keep looking as long as your finances are straight, which you typed that they are.
    I think so to, but all of my friends and family are telling me I'm crazy for saying no.


    Honestly, you know it has to be pretty crappy if a temp who's been doing the job for almost a year turned down an offer to make it a permenant job.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

  6. #5
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,957

    Re: Advice: What would you do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I think so to, but all of my friends and family are telling me I'm crazy for saying no.


    Honestly, you know it has to be pretty crappy if a temp who's been doing the job for almost a year turned down an offer to make it a permenant job.
    I was thinking about it some more after I posted and I can see what their argument likely is: "In an economy like this you're crazy to turn down any decent job offer."

    I still think refusing it is the right move, especially knowing that the temp turned the job down. Hmm... wonder if there is any way you could talk to the temp? He could give you all the nitty gritty and explain exactly why he refused the job... is it possible that he could have refused the position for a reason other than the job sucks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  7. #6
    Member Reds4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: Advice: What would you do?

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I was thinking about it some more after I posted and I can see what their argument likely is: "In an economy like this you're crazy to turn down any decent job offer."

    I still think refusing it is the right move, especially knowing that the temp turned the job down. Hmm... wonder if there is any way you could talk to the temp? He could give you all the nitty gritty and explain exactly why he refused the job... is it possible that he could have refused the position for a reason other than the job sucks?
    No chance I get to speak to the guy unless I accept the offer. I was trying to come up with reasons to, it could be they seriously low balled him because of the economy. With the type of hours they expect, could be the salary wasn't enough.

    They want to hire someone before his placement ends, so he can train the person who is hired on a permenant basis.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

  8. #7
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,957

    Re: Advice: What would you do?

    Yeah I think temps typically do get low-balled by companies offering them FT positions. The company sees themselves in a position of power in such situations, "after all, he's just a temp."

    Maybe he burned a cheesy pita in the office break room?

    In the end, it sounds like you're comfortable financially so I would keep looking. There is nothing worse than absolutely dreading going to work every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  9. #8
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,624

    Re: Advice: What would you do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    So, am I totally nuts for turning this down? I am not hurting for cash, I have enough money to get me though several years of unemployment if necessary.
    Some pertinent questions to ask:

    1. How is the economy impacting your field? Is your field in decline, stagnant, or positioned to grow? Will there be jobs in your field when the economy "comes back" or will they have disappeared permanently?

    2. How many of the "second interviews" you've been on have turned into actual job offers? If you needed a job, would you feel confident in your ability to get a full-time job quickly?

    3. When you say "You haven't found anything that interests you" are your expectations for a job realistic? Does the job you're looking for exist in this economy?

    4. Are you comfortable dipping into saving to remain unemployed? Could the money you're spending now not working be better utilized by investing in your retirement / buying a home / etc.?

    5. Would this job help your resume or help you make connections that might lead to a better job? Are there positives about this job, beyond the things you've listed, that might help your overall career goals?

    It's hard to answer your question without knowing the answer to these questions.

    Personally, just speaking for myself, I'd start to get stir-crazy if I wasn't out working somewhere. I have friends who are unemployed -- several of whom have just stopped looking for the time being and I just don't understand it. I have a law degree, and I'd go back to popping popcorn and running movie projectors for $9 / hour before I ever stayed unemployed for more than a few weeks -- that's just the way I am though, I need to be working or I start to feel shiftless and irresponsible.

    Ultimately, the decision is up to you, but the way the economy is and the way it is trending, I'd think long and hard before I turned down an offer of employment.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  10. #9
    Member Reds4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: Advice: What would you do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Some pertinent questions to ask:

    1. How is the economy impacting your field? Is your field in decline, stagnant, or positioned to grow? Will there be jobs in your field when the economy "comes back" or will they have disappeared permanently?

    2. How many of the "second interviews" you've been on have turned into actual job offers? If you needed a job, would you feel confident in your ability to get a full-time job quickly?

    3. When you say "You haven't found anything that interests you" are your expectations for a job realistic? Does the job you're looking for exist in this economy?

    4. Are you comfortable dipping into saving to remain unemployed? Could the money you're spending now not working be better utilized by investing in your retirement / buying a home / etc.?

    5. Would this job help your resume or help you make connections that might lead to a better job? Are there positives about this job, beyond the things you've listed, that might help your overall career goals?

    It's hard to answer your question without knowing the answer to these questions.

    Personally, just speaking for myself, I'd start to get stir-crazy if I wasn't out working somewhere. I have friends who are unemployed -- several of whom have just stopped looking for the time being and I just don't understand it. I have a law degree, and I'd go back to popping popcorn and running movie projectors for $9 / hour before I ever stayed unemployed for more than a few weeks -- that's just the way I am though, I need to be working or I start to feel shiftless and irresponsible.

    Ultimately, the decision is up to you, but the way the economy is and the way it is trending, I'd think long and hard before I turned down an offer of employment.
    1) It's corporate accounting, so pretty steady in terms of outlook.

    2) Been on 3 second interviews. One is pending some orders they are waiting on from the govt. I will be offered the position when they get the orders, and I'd take the job. I like it there. I'm in touch with thier CFO every couple weeks. The other 2 second interviews have resulted in 1 employment offer, the current subject of this thread.

    3) Yes, it exists.

    4) I am comfortable spending what I have to. After my last job, I'm not taking a job I'm not 100% comfortable with. Having a good work/life balance is very important to me, and if I have to turn down a job because it doesn't fit with that, then I will.

    5) There are some positives, it's added expierence, that is about it. It doesn't add anything to my resume that I don't already have, other than additional years of doing it. There is no increase in responsibility or position.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

  11. #10
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Advice: What would you do?

    A few comments, none of them particurly insightful...

    - If you have enough money to get through several years of unemployment, I'd wait to find my perfect job.
    - It sounds like your other irons in the fire are coming along and are more what you want. I'd wait for them.
    - When I'm reviewing a resume/interviewing, I'm a little leery of big gaps in a job history. I also wonder a bit about people who leave jobs with no job to go to.
    - I work 50 hour weeks by choice and don't think that's insane. I've worked 80-100 hr weeks. That's insane.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  12. #11
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,388

    Re: Advice: What would you do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post

    4) I am comfortable spending what I have to. After my last job, I'm not taking a job I'm not 100% comfortable with. Having a good work/life balance is very important to me, and if I have to turn down a job because it doesn't fit with that, then I will.

    Assuming you are comfortable with staying in the job market a while longer, then just re-read #4 and you'll have your answer.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  13. #12
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,125

    Re: Advice: What would you do?

    My opinion is that the economy sucks right now. Any job is a job. It seems to me that with as many people out of work as there are anyone with a job should feel fortunate.

    Here is what I see. You have been out of work for around 7-8 months. Whether or not you have been looking for a job during that entire time I do not know. While the job doesn't sound ideal, it would mean a consistent pay check, wouldn't it? You still could look for another job while being employed by the less than perfect company.

    Personally for me I would have a tough time turning down a job if I had been out of work for 7-8 months. It is just my view on employment during this down economy.

    Anyway, best of luck with whatever decision you make.

  14. #13
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,624

    Re: Advice: What would you do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    - I work 50 hour weeks by choice and don't think that's insane. I've worked 80-100 hr weeks. That's insane.
    Yeah, I was under the assumption that 8-5 is pretty much the norm these days. Not too many people working a rigid 40 hour work week that I know of. Heck, most attorneys I know who work corporate law are minimum 60 per.

    For me, the "work / life" balance doesn't come on the weekdays, but rather on the weekends. I don't want my job to consistently intrude upon my time off. I'm OK worknig an extra hour or so every day so long as I'm not expected to be on call 7 days a week or coming into the office regularly on days off.

    Most weekday evening activities don't start until around 6:30-7:00 anyway.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  15. #14
    Member Reds4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: Advice: What would you do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Yeah, I was under the assumption that 8-5 is pretty much the norm these days. Not too many people working a rigid 40 hour work week that I know of. Heck, most attorneys I know who work corporate law are minimum 60 per.

    For me, the "work / life" balance doesn't come on the weekdays, but rather on the weekends. I don't want my job to consistently intrude upon my time off. I'm OK worknig an extra hour or so every day so long as I'm not expected to be on call 7 days a week or coming into the office regularly on days off.

    Most weekday evening activities don't start until around 6:30-7:00 anyway.
    It's important for me on weekdays to. My last job, I was working 50-60 hours a week, which included most Saturdays, and sometimes Sunday to.

    That gets old, very fast.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

  16. #15
    Member VR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    8,569

    Re: Advice: What would you do?

    Take away cell phones and internet accesss...most people's workload is closer to 30 hours. (Redszone is proof of that )
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25