Thread: Article about Wood's promotion

Article about Wood's promotion

From his local paper:

http://www.bryantdaily.com/post/Wood...ed-to-AAA.aspx

Wood promoted to AAA
    by Rob on Jul 22, 2009 at 3:43 PM
    Print Article Print
    Filed in Baseball

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Bryant's Travis Wood has been promoted to the Cincinnati Reds' Class AAA affiliate, the Louisville Bats of the International League, amidst a dominating season for the Class AA Carolina Mudcats.

According to Wood's parents Jay and Dena Wood, he will make his AAA debut at Syracuse on Saturday at 7 p.m. The lefty was told last week would be his last at Carolina but made one more start before the promotion.

Class AAA is one notch below the Major Leagues.

A Bryant High School graduate and former Hornet and Bryant Black Sox star, Wood was selected by the Reds in the June 2005 draft.

This season, he's posted a 9-3 record with a 1.21 earned run average in 19 starts, covering 119 innings. He's allowed just 78 hits and 37 walks while striking out 103. Opponents are hitting just .189 against him. He was also the starting pitcher for the North All-Stars in the Southern League All-Star game in Birmingham, Ala., recently.

In leading the league in ERA, the next lowest mark is 2.70. His nine wins in consecutive decisions set a new Mudcats franchise record. Nine wins is tied for most in the league. His strikeout mark is tops in the league and his innings pitched is tied for most. He also has the league's best WHIP (Walks + hits per innings pitched) at 0.97.

At Louisville, Wood joins a team that leads the Western Division of the International League by 9 1/2 games.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Article about Wood's promotion

Thanks for the update! I wish I could drive down there for his first start!

Bum

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Dominating doesn't even begin to describe what Wood has done this year at AA. Here's hoping for the same thing at Louisville!
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

The major league team needs a lefty starter or too. Wood is our best hope within the system of having an impact lefty in the rotation. I think he can be a great #3 starter

Resident PED Expert

If he can post a 3.75 ERA or better while maintaining his walk rate over his last 10 or so starts in AA... I would consider that a step in the right direction for him. Anything better would be gravy.

Be nice to know where this came from

The Reds haven't annouced it on their website.

It isn't mentioned on the Bats website and he is not on their roster.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    From his local paper:

http://www.bryantdaily.com/post/Wood...ed-to-AAA.aspx

Wood promoted to AAA
    by Rob on Jul 22, 2009 at 3:43 PM
    Print Article Print
    Filed in Baseball

LOUISVILLE, Ky. —
    This season, he's posted a 9-3 record with a 1.21 earned run average in 19 starts, covering 119 innings. He's allowed just 78 hits and 37 walks while striking out 103. Opponents are hitting just .189 against him. He was also the starting pitcher for the North All-Stars in the Southern League All-Star game in Birmingham, Ala., recently.

That 1.21 ERA is incredible. Think of how consistent you have to be to maintain that over 19 starts. Just one bad outing can blow it up. That tells me he's been amazingly consistent. I don't care what level, that's impressive

Senor Votto

When will he pitch for the Bats?

I think the article or some other place on this site said he was going to make his debut Saturday at Syracuse.

Wood's numbers don't tell the whole story of his season - he was really skating by on good luck early in the season, then he suddenly turned it on and started earning those dominant numbers. 60 K vs 8 BB over his last nine starts, that is mighty impressive. Let's hope he can keep it up.

Looking in reverse, what is up with Jordan Smith? Last year he was the "most improved pitcher" in the organization through the 1st half of the season, only to be stymied and injured after promotion to AA. I've noticed his stats haven't changed for at least 2 weeks. Did I miss something? Is he DL'ed again?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Dominating doesn't even begin to describe what Wood has done this year at AA. Here's hoping for the same thing at Louisville!
    Yeah I don't know that I've seen a Reds farmhand dominate to the extent he has, at least in recent years. He's looked real good. And scary thing is, his peripherals are about as good as his mainstream stats.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?