Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: St. Louis looking at Holliday

St. Louis looking at Holliday

The St. Louis Cardinals and Oakland Athletics have been talking about a possible swap of All-Star outfielder Matt Holliday and top prospect Brett Wallace, according to sources, and one person familiar with the talks places the odds of a deal at 50-50.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/s...r_espn_4350887

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: St. Louis looking at Holliday

good news for us especially if he walks at the end of the year.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

..while Walt slumbers on.

I wouldn't like that deal, if I'm a Cards fan.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

I do that if I am the Cardinals 11 times out of 10. Matt Holliday after a slow start is OPSing over .830 in a pitcher's park. That works out to a 125+ OPS. He is only 29 so should have several peak seasons of prime value left.
    Brett Wallace turns 23 in a month and is OPSing about .780 in the hit-happy PCL. Not overly impressive for a corner infielder if you ask me.

The Cardinal organization has the money to resign him. And if they don't, they get two first round/supplemental first round picks.

Having Matt Holliday definitely improves their chances of reaching and doing something when they reach the playoffs.

If they reach the playoffs this season the income they will derive from that more than pays the remainder of Holliday's contract for 2009.

And isn't making the playoffs what the game is all about?

Where is the downside for St. Louis?

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Tim Kurkjian is saying that the deal will go through as soon as the two teams decide on who will pay Holliday the final $6 million on his contract. Looks like the Reds are playing for next year if we didn't know that already.

Cardinals better hope they resign him because they are going nuts with this deal. Hell even if they resign him given that its going to take a lot of money they are taking a massive hit.

done deal now.
    Is it "next season" yet?

Espn is reporting the deal is done.Cards are team to best now in the Central.

Quote Originally Posted by Royals Fan View Post
    Espn is reporting the deal is done.Cards are team to best now in the Central.
    And his first series will be in Philly...nice ballpark for a hitter to make his debut with a team.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

While Walt sits on his hands. So, all along, when Walt was making those big pickups in St. Louis it wasn't really Walt, it was the Cardinal organization.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

While I am indeed disillusioned with Walt, this might not be a bad thing for us. STL gave up 3 prospects for Holliday, whose deal expires at the end of the year. We all know we weren't winning the central this year anyway. Matters not if we lose to STL by 5 or 15 games. Best case scenario - STL forfeits Brett Wallace and two other fine prospects for a rental and he walks in 2010.

However, if STL manages to sign him to a LTC, we're in trouble. We can't counter stuff like that with another off-season that nets us guys like Guillermo Tavares and Laynce Nix.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

My biggest problem with this is that we play the Cardinals a few more times this year and George Grande will be having extra large orgasms.

Pujols/Holiday/Derosa etc.....Oh well. at least the Cubs wont win the division.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    My biggest problem with this is that we play the Cardinals a few more times this year and George Grande will be having extra large orgasms.
    Probably the only action he's getting. I'm happy for him.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Turn Off Ads?