Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardinals acquire Holliday

Cardinals acquire Holliday

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4350887

Scott Rolen
    Mark DeRosa
    Matt Holliday?

Gotta love it when your archrival keeps stealing your target acquisitions out from under you.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cardinals on the verge of acquiring Holliday?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

Scott Rolen
    Mark DeRosa
    Matt Holliday?

Gotta love it when your archrival keeps stealing your target acquisitions out from under you.
    I want Matt Holliday. This year. Next year. And beyond. I won't lie. Rumors of his demise have been premature and exaggerated. Since May 1, he's had an OPS over .900. He's hitting, despite supposedly being a product of Coors Field.

Now that aside, it's not like the Reds have a reason to acquire him at the moment. If they could acquire him while signing him to an extension - by all means I'm for that. But as that's unlikely (Boras), I guess there's no reason to acquire him at the moment. If he's a free agent this offseason, I sure hope the Reds go after him with all their might.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I don't really care if they get Holliday, as long as they don't sign him LTC. If they lose some future Reds killer prospects it works out better for the Reds, assuming they don't sign him long term. It's not like the Reds are contenders this year.

I want to sign him in the offseason. Badly.

I assume if the Cards are giving up Brett Wallace for him, they're planning on signing him to an extension. Think Scott Rolen circa 2002.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

Scott Rolen
    Mark DeRosa
    Matt Holliday?

Only in your mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

If the deal is just for Wallace, I wonder if we could have him for Alonso.

I'd do that, find a taker for Cordero, and start putting my contract offer together to sign Holliday.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    If the deal is just for Wallace, I wonder if we could have him for Alonso.

I'd do that, find a taker for Cordero, and start putting my contract offer together to sign Holliday.
    There's the catch.

If the Cards trade for Holliday, he'll likely sign with them. It's their pattern and I can't imagine that he wouldn't want to sign there. Great franchise, usually in contention, city loves baseball.

To avoid that result, the Reds would have to break the bank to offer him a huge free agent contract. Highly unlikely.

The other way to avoid that result is to trade for him now. Doubtful because the Reds aren't really contending so they can't take the risk that he walks at season's end. They would have gained nothing and lost good prospects.

Those are the sad facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If the Cards trade for Holliday, he'll likely sign with them. It's their pattern and I can't imagine that he wouldn't want to sign there. Great franchise, usually in contention, city loves baseball.
    Can't imagine why he wouldn't want to come here.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

To avoid that result, the Reds would have to break the bank to offer him a huge free agent contract. Highly unlikely.

The other way to avoid that result is to trade for him now. Doubtful because the Reds aren't really contending so they can't take the risk that he walks at season's end. They would have gained nothing.

Those are the sad facts.
    Not necessarily. When was the last time Boras let his top FA sign early? The Cards would also have to give up quite a bit to get Holliday and then risk having him depart after the season.

It is a good move for the Cards for the near future. I wonder if they can afford to add another $15M+ salary to their club. It also will be interesting to see if they offer him arbitration if they are unable to sign him.

The other way to avoid that result is to trade for him now. Doubtful because the Reds aren't really contending so they can't take the risk that he walks at season's end. They would have gained nothing and lost good prospects.

Those are the sad facts.

That is nothing but conjecture.

I can see a Hal McCoy headline in all of this... Jocketty Takes Holiday on Holliday.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

I thought you were misspelling Halladay. The Cardinals are the Reds archrival? Really? And the Cardinals keep stealing the Reds targets? I'm back from vacation but I must need to start paying a little closer attention.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

I just hope that somebody (not the Reds) trades for him, so I can stop hearing about him.

If the Reds ever did acquire him, it would be the darkest day in the history of my fandom, and I would probably have to go into self-imposed exile for a while. That's how much I loathe Matt Holliday.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed View Post
    I thought you were misspelling Halladay. The Cardinals are the Reds archrival? Really? And the Cardinals keep stealing the Reds targets? I'm back from vacation but I must need to start paying a little closer attention.
    Cardinals, Cubs, Astros- take your pick. All three of them have been much better than the Reds.

And yes, going back to the Scott Rolen days, the Cards have been acquiring what would be ideal parts for the Reds.

The more things change...
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?