Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fay: 2010 Season Preview??

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Fay: 2010 Season Preview??

John Fays Latest -

The Reds didn’t move Todd Frazier to second base as a prelude to moving Brandon Phillips to shortstop. But Walt Jocketty didn’t dismiss the idea.

“The reason we moved Frazier – we probably should have done it earlier – was with (Juan) Francisco at third and (Zack) Cozart at shortstop, we wanted to see if (Frazier) could play second. We know he can play the outfield, third and short.

“It wasn’t done with idea of moving Brandon. That doesn’t mean that won’t happen. But it’s never been discussed.”

It’s a safe bet that the Reds won’t pick up Alex Gonzalez’s option for next year. Phillips came up at shortstop. He’s been open in the past to shift back.

Also from Jocketty:

--It sounds like the Reds are getting more money in the Scott Rolen deal than previously reported. “We got cash considerations that the make it more tolerable to take on Scott’s contract,” Jocketty said. “There’s also an offset on his contract.”

Jocketty would not say how much. I’ve been told they got $3 million for this year and $3 million for next. The St. Louis Cardinals are also paying a $4 million signing bonus that is due in 2010.

--On Drew Stubbs: “He’ll be here before the end of the year,” Jocketty kidded.

But he added: “What he’s done lately has not gone unnoticed.”

Stubbs is hitting .306 with a .375 on-base percentage since the All-Star Break. He’s leads the International League in steals – 42 in 47 tries.

--How will Edinson Volquez’s injury affect the offseason plans? “I guess we’re going to have to take a different approach,” he said. “We thought we were pretty well set. We have some guys in the organization to look at. A trade is a possibility.

--On the possibility Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo being moved? “I’m not soliciting offers. We’ll see how it all fits.”

The Reds owe six players $57.25 million for 2010 -- Francisco Cordero ($12 million), Harang ($12.5 million), Arroyo ($11 million), Rolen ($11 million, I'm counting it as that until they tell me what it actually), Phillips ($6.75 million) and Willy Taveras ($4 million) salary. That leaves them with little payroll flexibility -- unless they trade Harang or Arroyo.
    I would actually be happy with this potential roster for 2010:

C - Hanigan
    1st - Votto
    2nd - Frazier
    SS - Phillips
    3rd - Rolen
    RF - Bruce
    CF - Stubbs
    LF - Dickerson

Now granted if high price pieces are moved between now and then might help add some firepower to this line-up. I actually would rather see one or both of Arroyo or Coco. Why Coco? I think Fisher now with Roenicke gone would be a solid Closer. Bray should be healthy next season and hopefully Burton is more of 08 then 09. We'll say bye to Stormy. This bullpen should be still solid. You might not have that electric automatic closer.. but you have a guy who could get the job done. His salary will allow you to make up for his flaws. Arroyo is Arroyo. He has a man crush on Boston and frankly I speak for everyone when I say we are tired of the rants every year. He is a innings eater but that is about it.. he is going to give you 10-15 really steller starts and then he is going to give you about 15-20 horrific starts.. He isn't overpowering and he gets by. Harang on the other hand IMO would probably have a better record had he gotten more run support and granted he has been a shell of his 07 self.. but I think he is capable of regaining that status. I think Arroyo could be replaced with Harden, Bedard, or Penny.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fay: 2010 Season Preview??

Weird. I like what I'm hearing from Jocketty.

Code:
    “It wasn’t done with idea of moving Brandon. That doesn’t mean that won’t happen. But it’s never been discussed.”
    I find it impossible that it's never been discussed. I hope this was simply polite respect to Gonzalez who is still on the team. Otherwise, good lord.

Does "moving" mean "trading" or "changing positions" or either?

Nice diversion conversation, the artful dodger could pick many a pocket as we read Walt's musings.

Selling the future is the only currency the Reds have right now.

Quote Originally Posted by alloverjr View Post
    Code:
    I find it impossible that it's never been discussed. I hope this was simply polite respect to Gonzalez who is still on the team. Otherwise, good lord.
    It's possible that it may have been mentioned only in passing but not with people sitting down to seriously consider the pros and cons. Remember we had AGon on the roster the last few years and, even though he's been injured ALOT, they may not have wanted to experiment with moving Phillips back to short unless it could be a permanent move. Before Agon we had Felipe Lopez at short and before him Larkin. So this may be the first time in a long time that short has been such a BIG question mark. Well, at least since the '06/'07 offseason and we all know who they decided on for short at that time. Who knew he would miss THIS much time?
    Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Does "moving" mean "trading" or "changing positions" or either?
    If you mean in relation to Brandon Phillips I took it to mean only the possibility of him moving positions. His contract is through 2012 and I think they'll keep him here for at least a couple more reasons.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 08-05-2009 at 01:12 AM.

Sounds like they actually have a plan which is encouraging. I think the Volquez injury, the inability of Homer to break out and Cueto's meltdown surpirsed them. They were also surprised by Harang's decline and Bronson's inconsistency. My guess is that Arroyo will be on the block and Harang will stay.

It's good news that Gonzalez just might not be offered a contract and that they are considering (somewhat) moving Phillips to short--maybe the only answer since there is o good option at short at present. The outfield is a problem, but if Stubbs comes along and Bruce comes back strong, they'll deal for a power hitting outfielder, giving us some offense.

There is hope if there are changes and that means moving Taveras to the bench, DFA-ing Nix and Gomes (or trading them), and finding a starter. Big job.

Walt has a good record of removing Wayne's mistakes (Freel, Ross, etc), getting rid of his own mistakes (Hairston) and finding a genuine major leaguer (Rolen), but we'll see how he deals with his other mistakes (Weathers, Lincoln, Taveras, Owings).
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    It's good news that Gonzalez just might not be offered a contract and that they are considering (somewhat) moving Phillips to short--maybe the only answer since there is o good option at short at present. The outfield is a problem, but if Stubbs comes along and Bruce comes back strong, they'll deal for a power hitting outfielder, giving us some offense.
    This is all Walt said on moving BP to short:
    Typically vague. Maybe they are considering moving him to short but that's not much to go on to make that assumption. Same with Frazier seeing some time at 2nd in the minors. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Unless we have more than that, or BP sees some time at short in the last 50+ games, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions just yet.

I think this is more about making Frazier a supersub. His bat may be a little light for LF or 1B and his glove probably isn't good enough to play day in and day out at 2B or SS. Not sure about 3B with him. If he could be a 450 AB multi-position guy, it would actually mean the team would have a decent bench and that there must be guys playing in front of him that can actually play.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Walt says they might take a different approach.

I certainly hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by alloverjr View Post
    Code:
    I thought that too, but wondered whether what he was saying was that it had never been discussed to move Frazier to second and Phillips to SS - that's what had never been discussed. I can't imagine that thought of moving Phillips back to SS itself has never been discussed.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Nice diversion conversation, the artful dodger could pick many a pocket as we read Walt's musings.

Selling the future is the only currency the Reds have right now.
    Maybe Walt read Sun Tzu.

"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him."
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Maybe Walt read Sun Tzu.

"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him."
    They're doing a bang up job of feigning disorder, then.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think this is more about making Frazier a supersub. His bat may be a little light for LF or 1B and his glove probably isn't good enough to play day in and day out at 2B or SS. Not sure about 3B with him. If he could be a 450 AB multi-position guy, it would actually mean the team would have a decent bench and that there must be guys playing in front of him that can actually play.

Gee, that's wonderful. One of our best prospects in the minors is projected to be a super-sub. That says a lot about the farm system. What's next, our best pitching prospect is a middle reliever?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Maybe Walt read Sun Tzu.

As in, "We just gave in," acquiring a Hall of Famer while ridding ourselves of a player without a position, a relief pitcher, and a guy with a few innings above AA.

Turn Off Ads?