Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jocketty: There was Interest in Bringing Back Adam Dunn Last Year

Jocketty: Interest In Bringing Back Adam Dunn

http://www.irontontribune.com/news/2...ve-season-yet/

By Jim Walker | The Tribune

Originally published 01:10 a.m., July 24, 2009
    Updated 01:10 a.m., July 24, 2009

Fans might or might not be ready to give up on the Cincinnati Reds’ playoff chances. Count team CEO Bob Castellini as one of those who remains hopeful.

Despite a 2-5 record since the All-Star break including three straight losses at Los Angeles, and trailing Central Division leading St. Louis by five and one-half games, Castellini isn’t about to engage in any fire sale similar to last season when he shipped off power hitters Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn.

“Nothing’s changed. We’re still trying to improve the club,” said Castellini.

The Reds are 44-50 that keeps their hopes alive of ending a franchise record of eight straight losing seasons. Even if the Reds don’t make the playoffs, Castellini would like nothing better than to post a winning record.

General manager Walt Jocketty agrees with Castellini that the Reds are close to turning the corner.

“Even though we’ve struggle, we’re still close,” said Jocketty.

Although Castellini and Jocketty say they’re fixed on keeping the team in tact, rumors swirled in Los Angeles that the Dodgers were eyeing Reds’ bullpen pitchers Francisco Cordero, David Weathers and Arthur Rhodes.

Rhodes is the most attractive with a $2 million salary. Weathers does not have a no-trade clause but has a salary of $3.5 million. Cordero has 21 saves, but he is the Reds’ highest paid player at $12.125 million per season.

Catcher Ramon Hernandez could be on the trade block but a knee injury will sideline him four-to-six weeks. Hernandez makes $8.5 million and is hitting .249 with five home runs and 36 runs batted in.

Ryan Hanigan, who has played in 55 games or 22 less than Hernandez, has been outstanding throwing out runners and is hitting .313 with a home run and just eight RBI.

Starting pitchers Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo have been mentioned in the rumor mill. Harang is 5-10 and is 0-6 since May 25. Arroyo has an earned run average that’s creeping toward four digits, but he has posted a 17-6 record previously in September and October.

Harang is the second highest-paid player at $11 million and Arroyo third at $10.125 million. Jocketty claims team payroll will have nothing to do with any moves.

“We’re trying to improve the club the best we can,” said Jocketty. “I don’t want to get stuck talking about contracts.”

The Reds’ offense continues to struggle. It is ranked 14th among the National League’s 16 teams. Jocketty said last year he was interested in bringing back Dunn who was a free agent in the off-season and Dunn is rumored to be on the trading block.

San Francisco is the most interested in obtaining Dunn who is among the league leaders in home runs and RBIs.

“We need someone to help pick up the pace and pick up the production,” said Jocketty.

The Reds can’t afford another series in Chicago this weekend like they had in Los Angeles. The Cubs are second in the division, just one game back.

Harang goes Friday against Randy Wells. On Saturday, Johnny Cueto (8-6) will get the start and Micah Owings (6-10) takes the mound on Sunday. The Reds return home to face San Diego on Monday with struggling Homer Bailey expected to get the start.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: Jocketty: Interest In Bringing Back Adam Dunn

Still don't know why they didn't just pay him in the off-season. Giving up prospects to get him back now possibly, makes Jocketty look like a bit of a fool IMO.

*this is all of course, considering that Adam would have wanted to come back. this would be very interesting if he has ill-will towards the club.

The NL would have to add the DH before I would bring him back.

Redszone is going to have a meltdown over this.

Mods, I don't envy you right about now.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post

Good thing the story hit about an hour ago while most people are in bed.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Right, but it might be ugly after I wake up tomorrow afternoon..

"I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post

Mods have tazers and pepper spray on hand.

It seems too surreal to be true. It kind of makes sense though.

One of the reasons Cincinnati wanted to cut ways was because of the salary Dunn was expected to demand (and did at first). Now that he's under contract in a relative bargain to what was expected, it makes at least a little sense as to why there would be renewed interest. And this kind of fits in with the 2010 theory I have been expressing.

I doubt seriously this would come to fruition. And quite honestly, this might be nothing more than the Reds trying to float some things out in the media for leverage. But it's funny to think about.

I'm content with Dunn being gone for several reasons, most of which I've been outspoken over. That said, I'm not opposed to his return if it were a reasonable trade.

This will pass, though.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

It doesn't really say the Reds are at all talking about bringing Dunn back.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    After re-reading that, you're right. I don't think it was meant to imply they were looking at him, though the writer may have been thinking that.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    Nope. And if it did it would be tampering. This is the case of a writer taking a quote from last year when Dunn was still on the Reds and using it to make some crazy headline.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

From last year:
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Jocketty said last year he was interested in bringing back Dunn who was a free agent in the off-season ...
    From this year:
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    ... and Dunn is rumored to be on the trading block.
    Tabloid journalism at it's finest. Like mth123 touched on, for Jocketty to say that he was interested in any specific player that is currently on another teams roster would be tampering. You can rip him all you want but I don't think he's that stupid.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 07-24-2009 at 05:23 AM.

Over under on:

1) Time before thread lockage

2) Number of total posts

Re: Jocketty: There was Interest in Bringing Back Adam Dunn Last Year

There's no truth to the rumor that this morning's outage was caused by this thread.

On a side note, I updated the thread title so that it's more accurate than what it was previously.

Re: Jocketty: There was Interest in Bringing Back Adam Dunn Last Year

Walt continues to play the game of telling the fans what they want to hear to keep the team relevant. Fortunately his charade ends in a few days, as the Reds will do nothing at the deadline.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?