Turn Off Ads?

Thread: trade deadline/media knowing nothing

trade deadline/media knowing nothing

It seems like most of us love the trade deadline but I'd be willing to bet that the media loves it even more.It seems like they have a new breaking story every hour regarding the Reds alone and its the freakin Reds.Combine this with the recent Rose talk, we have the Reds getting more press then they have had all season.

Isn't there any professional accountability when it comes to reporting trades and how do these guys come up with some of this crap?Maybe its just me because I follow mlb trade rumors and they report any kind of rumor coming from just about any kind of source but I actually see and hear a lot of this stuff on ESPN and other major media outlets as well.

While most of you guys have a good time discussing all of these potential moves I try to avoid getting into this junk.I don't really want to get to happy or mad about something I hear that probably/isn't really going to happen.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: trade deadline/media knowing nothing

Never Mind
    Last edited by JayBruceFan; 07-28-2009 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    Never Mind
    I know.Not nearly as exciting as some good juicy rumor is it?

Like others have done on this site I could just throw out some random name and get 5 pages of comments based on it.I'm not complaining because I know its fun to speculate but it does get frustrating some times.

I think it's more likely that the media has too much information rather than not enough. Around this time of year you have every GM calling ever GM asking "are you interested in this guy?" or "is that guy available?". Some guy in the front office wants to feel important so he calls a reporter with a hot tip that "a trade is in the works", and the reporter wanting to be able to say he had the scoop prints it. All of these rumors could have been true at a very cursory level, or indicate real interest on only one side of the deal.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Got too much going on in my own life to be overly concerned about rumors, I take anything I read as just that, rumors, until announced as official. Everyone wants to be the first to drop the dime on any big move, so they call out any move they hear wind of and hope it sticks. Just look at our own posters-not even media-and the crazy stuff we hear is "in the works" from brothers cousins neighbors dogwalkers and all. And as poster ^ said, GM's are calling every other GM and making so many proposals, sending feelers that get passed along as activity when nothing there. Take it all witha grain of salt.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Turn Off Ads?