Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds have interest in Halladay

Re: Reds have interest in Halladay

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    He's not Anthony Reyes.
    He might be a bit better than Reyes in that he might have a career in middle relief.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Uh-huh.
    It's not like your team doesn't have a track record of turning train-wrecks into useful pieces.

He might be a bit better than Reyes in that he might have a career in middle relief.
    How quickly we can change our minds after seeing results. Reyes did not produce any.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Not that it's going to happen, but how do we know the Reds aren't on Halladay's list? I thought I read somewhere that he wants to go somewhere that is a little more low key than NY. And the Reds do have a decent number of prospects in the pipeline to make deals with if necessary.

How quickly we can change our minds after seeing results. Reyes did not produce any.
    I've never been a Reyes booster.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

It's just simply not true and everyone here knows it. There is simply no way Halladay is coming to Cincy. It sounds like some nonsense leaked by the Reds FO to get some interest up.
    Could be. And I don't disagree Halladay is unlikely to approve such a trade. However, dabbs has a good point - say the Reds really are trying to trade for Halladay. Even if it won't come to fruition, it would seem some people owe an apology for the harsh tone they've taken toward the organization's perceived lackluster 'effort.'
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

It's just simply not true and everyone here knows it. There is simply no way Halladay is coming to Cincy. It sounds like some nonsense leaked by the Reds FO to get some interest up.
    It also sounds like a Walt Jocketty inspired move. That is the kind of player he WOULD go get. It may be BS, but a move for a player like Halladay to pair with Volquez and ANY bat could return the Reds back to contention. Halladay, a healthy Volquez, Cueto, Harang and Arroyo could win at a .600 clip if they got another bat. The key here is that it isn't enough for this year, but it would be for next year for sure.

As Colin Cowherd always says, "At least be interesting."
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I've never been a Reyes booster.
    might want to check your post history again. If it had a bat on it's chest with two Cardinals sitting on it, you probably were supporting it. You just called Ryan Franklin a lights out closer based on half a season. It's seems to me that your opinions are somewhat jaded.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    it would seem some people owe an apology for the harsh tone they've taken toward the organization's perceived lackluster 'effort.'
    "do or do not, there is no try"

However, dabbs has a good point - say the Reds really are trying to trade for Halladay. Even if it won't come to fruition, it would seem some people owe an apology for the harsh tone they've taken toward the organization's perceived lackluster 'effort.'
    Actually we owe nothing of the sort.

It's an internet rumor so we have no idea if it's even true. And it it is, as you suggest, I offer no apology for expecting Walt to do his job.

Now, if Walt pulls off a spectacular series of moves in the next 7 days that sets us up for 2010 and beyond? Then I'll eat a big helping of Crow-Helper.

In this depressed market, all this BS talk by Halladay about wanting to go to a winner is going to dry up and blow away at the first seriously competitive extension he's offered.

Not that I could ever imagine the Reds offering a competitive salary (except when overpaying for replaceables like Arroyo and Gonzalez).

Could be. And I don't disagree Halladay is unlikely to approve such a trade. However, dabbs has a good point - say the Reds really are trying to trade for Halladay. Even if it won't come to fruition, it would seem some people owe an apology for the harsh tone they've taken toward the organization's perceived lackluster 'effort.'
    You can say you have interest all day long, but the proof is in the pudding or something. I honestly don't think the Reds have the chips to get him from Toronto unless they deal Votto or Cueto.

In this depressed market, all this BS talk by Halladay about wanting to go to a winner is going to dry up and blow away at the first seriously competitive extension he's offered.
    no negotiating until the trade is completed ... at least according to "the pimp".

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

First off, no, I don't expect this deal to happen.

But it fits the parameters of the type of deal Jocketty has said he's looking for and the Reds can probably pull together the package to do it. Will Halladay accept a trade to Cincinnati? Highly doubtful. But, as the old sales advice goes, never say "no" for the other guy.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

It's seems to me that your opinions are somewhat jaded.
    What?

Turn Off Ads?