Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Reds have interest in Halladay

Re: Reds have interest in Halladay

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    his year is not yet up
    And he is on the DL, correct? Can you trade guys on the DL?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Walt saying he's got interest in a player that the rest of MLB is also interested in and making a courtesy call to see what the price tag in hardly qualifies as "willing to make a very large bold move".
    He's involved. And for a guy who is a long shot to acquire, it's more than he would have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    And he is on the DL, correct? Can you trade guys on the DL?
    On either account, Alonso could be named as a PTBNL. As far as the DL, I believe that only applies to MLB Disabled Lists.

But regardless, Alonso could be traded. He would just have to be a player to be named later.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    If the Reds were to include Harang or Arroyo, the deal would be essentially salary neutral. Include, say, Bailey, Maloney, and Frazier and you have a pretty nice package that would potentially make sense for both clubs. That said, I don't think there's a chance that Halladay accepts a deal to come here.
    If true I would hope that they hang on to Harang, if possible. That front 4 would be silly.

Give them Arroyo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Walt saying he's got interest in a player that the rest of MLB is also interested in and making a courtesy call to see what the price tag in hardly qualifies as "willing to make a very large bold move".
    Not saying it's true, but if it is, it looks like Jocketty has done more than just make a courtesy call.

Cincinnati have also been involved. Word is the Rangers and Reds have attractive packages
    Considering what the Jays are asking for Halladay, I'd call offereing them an attractive package is a very bold move.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

The Reds have interest in Halladay huh?

That Walt sure is a genuis, inquire about a guy who you have no intention of even making an offer for so when it seeps out it appears like we are out there trying. Guy is slick! Problem with that Walt, no on believes you have legitimate interest in a real difference maker.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post

That Walt sure is a genuis, inquire about a guy who you have no intention of even making an offer for so when it seeps out it appears like we are out there trying. Guy is slick! Problem with that Walt, no on believes you have legitimate interest in a real difference maker.
    Cincinnati have also been involved. Word is the Rangers and Reds have attractive packages.
    But you're right I doubt he even made an offer.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Toronto has little reason to give in on that.
    Except that moving on it now instead of next season means your return is much better.

They'll move if they're compelled to move. It's pretty simple.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

My wife has said the Reds have attractive packages.

If nothing else, maybe WJ can drive up the price for the Cardinals and make them pay dearly. I'm just glad the Reds front office appears to consume O2 and produce CO2. I had my doubts for a while.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    My wife has said the Reds have attractive packages.

If nothing else, maybe WJ can drive up the price for the Cardinals and make them pay dearly. I'm just glad the Reds front office appears to consume O2 and produce CO2. I had my doubts for a while.
    I doubt the Cards have the talent that Ricciardi would demand in return.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I doubt the Cards have the talent that Ricciardi would demand in return.
    Never mind. I got my Holliday's and Halladay's mixed up.

Don't mind me.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Never mind. I got my Holliday's and Halladay's mixed up.

Don't mind me.
    Understandable. There's been a lot of that going around lately.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post

I believe him. Walt has done it before.

But keep on hating, for whatever reason.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

This certainly is the kind of deal that has been in Jocketty's wheelhouse down the years. I can't imagine that Halladay would even consider approving a trade to the Reds, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    This certainly is the kind of deal that has been in Jocketty's wheelhouse down the years. I can't imagine that Halladay would even consider approving a trade to the Reds, sadly.
    I know in headier times, some ballplayers took 15 million a year instead of 16 million to play in favorable conditions, but this economic downturn has emboldened a lot of GMs to play el cheapo with impunity, thus forcing the hands of soon-to-be FAs. If Castellini can find it in his heart to shell out the cash, Halladay's a Red. There's nothing else standing in the way of this deal.

Turn Off Ads?