Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Reds have interest in Halladay

Re: Reds have interest in Halladay

I don't know that Halladay wouldn't accept a trade to the Reds, sure its been a mediocre team this year, but in his FA year he'll be pitching in a mediocre division where he could be a real difference maker.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I know in headier times, some ballplayers took 15 million a year instead of 16 million to play in favorable conditions, but this economic downturn has emboldened a lot of GMs to play el cheapo with impunity, thus forcing the hands of soon-to-be FAs. If Castellini can find it in his heart to shell out the cash, Halladay's a Red. There's nothing else standing in the way of this deal.
    If there was ever a guy to break the bank for, Halladay is it. He's indestructible, impervious to terrible coaching, and just destroys hitters.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Could be. And I don't disagree Halladay is unlikely to approve such a trade. However, dabbs has a good point - say the Reds really are trying to trade for Halladay. Even if it won't come to fruition, it would seem some people owe an apology for the harsh tone they've taken toward the organization's perceived lackluster 'effort.'
    Hey, this organizatiln will blow a lot of smoke, but I want to see some "smart results". By that I mean, in the very remote chance they do acquire Halladay. I want the acquisiton leveraged to full advantage.

1) I do not want RH as a 2 month rental. if he were to be acquired for several very valuable young players,, they would have to be ready to insure that he will be around for another 2-3 years minimum or I want not part of the deal.

2) I want a RH-type deal to be a starting point and part of a comprehensive 3-5 year plan, not the be all and end all. If you're gonna be willing to bring in a star player like RH, be willing to surround him with other quality parts. Don't be like it was with Griffey or even Cordero - make the big splash then sit back on your laurels and dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the back.

If they're going to make a deal for RH, I'm fully behind it - I'll do frickin' cartwheels!, but if they dio, they better be ready to go the whole nine yards. That means shedding contracts like Harang and Arroyo IMO and using the money to add a professional middle of the order bat, IMO. I would also try to land a veteran middleof the rotation starter (hopefully LH'd) by next spring - on that could give you Arroyo.Harang-type number for less cash. If they're not willing to follow through though - go young.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 07-24-2009 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I know in headier times, some ballplayers took 15 million a year instead of 16 million to play in favorable conditions, but this economic downturn has emboldened a lot of GMs to play el cheapo with impunity, thus forcing the hands of soon-to-be FAs. If Castellini can find it in his heart to shell out the cash, Halladay's a Red. There's nothing else standing in the way of this deal.

I'll bet Arroyo's contract is standing in the way. The Jays won't take him in return, so they probably need to dump him off first.

As much as I want this to happen, I just can't see it.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I'll bet Arroyo's contract is standing in the way. The Jays won't take him in return, so they probably need to dump him off first.

As much as I want this to happen, I just can't see it.
    I bet the Yankees would take Arroyo, if it doesn't cost them any prospects of value and gets Halladay to the NL.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    I bet the Yankees would take Arroyo, if it doesn't cost them any prospects of value and gets Halladay to the NL.
    That's a really good point.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    If there was ever a guy to break the bank for, Halladay is it. He's indestructible, impervious to terrible coaching, and just destroys hitters.

But he hasn't played for the Reds yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post

1) I do not want RH as a 2 month rental. if he were to be acquired for several very valuable young players,, they would have to be ready to insure that he will be around for another 2-3 years minimum or I want not part of the deal.

RH is signed through 2010 season. He's on record as saying he wants to test free agent waters at that time, which is what prompted this whole circus.

So... no, he wouldn't be a 2 month rental. But he also likely wouldn't sign an extension either.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

How many of these posts over the 6 pages have said we shouldn't trade Volquez or Cueto in a possible deal?

Just talking out loud here as I would all but bet one of those two would be going to cash checks in Canadian money if RH was coming here.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    How many of these posts over the 6 pages have said we shouldn't trade Volquez or Cueto in a possible deal?

Just talking out loud here as I would all but bet one of those two would be going to cash checks in Canadian money if RH was coming here.
    Don't think so. The Dodgers won't trade Billingsley or Kershaw. The Phillies aren't trading Hamels and the Brewers aren't trading Gallardo. Similarly, I think the Jays know better than to ask for Cueto or Volquez.

Homer Bailey, Zack Stewart, Travis Wood, etc. are all fair game. But Cueto and Volquez aren't going anywhere, and even JP Riccardi knows that.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

Trade wouldn't make sense for Cincy then as a Cueto to Halladay upgrade isn't what they need. It's a Bailey to Halladay upgrade that catapults them to a different level of play.

Quote Originally Posted by I(heart)Freel View Post
    I believe him. Walt has done it before.

But keep on hating, for whatever reason.
    I don't believe him and frankly that and not so much the inactivity is what bugs me so. I believed what he said until he lied, and inferring you are going get what we need is IMO a lie when you don't follow thru. I am "hating" because they said they needed a particular piece to the puzzle to compete, they failed to get said piece now let's just stop right there. They knew they needed more offense in order to win (if they had any sense) and didn't get it, why is that at all acceptable? I don't go to games for bobbleheads, I want an organization who truly wants to win, knows how to and puts forth the effort. They are failing in one or more of these areas and that is what makes me hate on them. Well that and the fact they continue to just flat lie to us in the process. I am offended by it.

If they had come out and said you know we feel good about this young team going into the season and we feel it's wise to not go and spend any unneccessary dollars until we get a better handle on what we actually have on the field now. Really quite reasonable given the circumstances IMO. Then I might have been mad but I'd have gotten over it and still supported them. Maybe they wouldn't have sold quite as many tickets but I'm guessing it wouldn't have been far off of where they will end up anyway. Now I have to worry that we again may have a FO who has only their profits in mind.

Bob said he wants to win now (a long time ago mind you), Walt says we need a piece and he's out there looking for it (and has been for a well beyond reasonable timeframe), those are lies IMO and I don't like liars, I tend to hate on them.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Wow...

It's funny. If we hear no reports of Walt getting involved, he is sitting on his hands doing nothing. If we hear that he is getting involved with one of the biggest names, it is a BS report.

This would be huge. Probably a longshot for the reasons mentioned above, but wow.

Yep. I am pretty sure Walt is investigating a deal. The first step is to agree on a package of players to make the trade. The second part would be to attempt a sales pitch to Halladay.
    Not sure it's fair to automatically dismiss this report as BS, just so people here can keep saying Walt is doing nothing.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Yep. I am pretty sure Walt is investigating a deal. The first step is to agree on a package of players to make the trade. The second part would be to attempt a sales pitch to Halladay.
    Not sure it's fair to automatically dismiss this report as BS, just so people here can keep saying Walt is doing nothing.
    I have been critical of Walt's inactivity, but I agree with you that it's unfair to dismiss this report as BS. Not saying I think it will happen, but you can't dismiss a national media report out of hand.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I have been critical of Walt's inactivity, but I agree with you that it's unfair to dismiss this report as BS. Not saying I think it will happen, but you can't dismiss a national media report out of hand.
    Yep, I heard an interview with a GM once. He basically said that in modern times, every trade is such a huge longshot. It's so difficult to agree on players and get the finances worked out. I imagine it's even more difficult for someone like Halladay. The Jays are under a lot of pressure to get a lot value back. They are not forced to trade him at this point.

It's a lot different than trading for a guy that the trading team doesn't really want. Greg Vaughn wasn't really wanted by the Padres anymore when we picked him up, for instance. Obviously, Hernandez/Freel weren't wanted by their clubs either.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?