Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Reds have interest in Halladay

Re: Reds have interest in Halladay

Why in the world would we ever deal for Halladay? We don't have a snowball's chance in hell of signing him past next year, and realistically we're not going anywhere WITH him next year, either. So what's the point, other than giving up a boatload of young talent? There is no quick fix to this situation. This franchise sucks. It has sucked. And it probably will suck when my grandchildren are brought into this world.

Maybe I'm being a bit doom and gloomish. But I'm tired of losing, that's all. I just want a winner. I don't want to wait for a plan. I just want baseball to matter again in this city.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Why in the world would we ever deal for Halladay? We don't have a snowball's chance in hell of signing him past next year, and realistically we're not going anywhere WITH him next year, either. So what's the point, other than giving up a boatload of young talent? There is no quick fix to this situation. This franchise sucks. It has sucked. And it probably will suck when my grandchildren are brought into this world.

Maybe I'm being a bit doom and gloomish. But I'm tired of losing, that's all. I just want a winner. I don't want to wait for a plan. I just want baseball to matter again in this city.
    I could see it making sense if you were planning on making several moves before OD 2010 hits, but in isolation, it would not be a whole lot different than signing a big money closer and doing nothing else.

If you got rid of Harang and Arroyo you could easily sign him past next year.

Would you rather have Harang and Arroyo or Halladay?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Harang and Arroyo are off the books by 2010 or 2011 (I'm not sure). Halladay will probably sign thru 2016. I wouldn't quite say it will be easy to sign him just by ridding the Reds of Harang/Arroyo.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    The only time since 1990 the Reds have given us a reason to truly enjoy a season, Bowden took a chance and acquired Greg Vaughn and Denny Neagle. Outside of Krivsky's tenure, what have we seen? Not much. I'm tired of the failed formula that we have seen the Pirates and Royals follow.

Don't trade off Dunn and Griffey and parlay the savings into Willy Tavares. If trading off legitimate major leaguers in hopes of building for the future means selling us false hope and expecting us to accept mediocre product or less, change tha pattern now. Maybe Dunn and Griffey didn't fit into the future, but show us something...and not a Willy Taveras!

At least Krivsky took action. He may have made a few mistakes, but he was obviously thinking about being proactive about improving the team.

I'm not sure what Jocketty is waiting for, but I'm frustrated with waiting. He needs to shock the baseball world and put Cincinnati back on the baseball map map by acquiring someone like Halladay. Jocketty hovered at mediocrity in St.Louis until he showed some cajonies and traded for McGwire. That trade alone didn't turn the team around, but it showed Jocketty could think beyond the lateral processes that have marked his early years in St. Louis and his time in Cincinnati.
    1994 and 1995 were two excellent years (strike notwithstanding), they acquired guys like Smiley and Gant and Mitchell....They kinda went for it those years.

Other than that, I agree with you.

It takes guts to build a winner. Over the last decade, we haven't had much of anything that could be considered gutsy..... Well, I guess the signing of Milton could be considered gutsy, but I call that just plain stupid.

Too much stupid, not enough gutsy of late. There's the problem right there.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Speaking of gutsy type moves, am I nuts for thinking we should be after Cliff Lee right now? (if we are going down the Big Mac type trade v2.0 scenario)

Everyones fixated on Halladay, the market hasn't been set yet, he a lefty TOR and young. I know he isn't Halladay but he's similar production for less money, its just a matter of getting a good deal for him and if you can sign him after '10.

I dunno but striking before they deal Hallady, and drive the price up on a guy like Lee, seems to me the type of bold move aimed at the heart of market inefficiency it would be nice to see them pull off.

I don't think it's that easy. If we get rid of Harang and Arroyo and sign Halladay, then one man is about 25% of our payroll, because you know the payroll isn't going above $80 million. That just isn't possible if you want to compete.

Would you rather bid for him in the FA market against NYY or BOS?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Harang and Arroyo are off the books by 2010 or 2011 (I'm not sure). Halladay will probably sign thru 2016. I wouldn't quite say it will be easy to sign him just by ridding the Reds of Harang/Arroyo.
    I would love to have Halladya s a Red, but want know part of anyone signed through 2016. 2013, with an option in 2014 tops and I'd really rather it were a year less.

If this team has one piece of the puzzle left, then I'd be all for a one or two monster signings, but we aren't there yet.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 07-25-2009 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I would love to have Halladya s a Red, but want know part of anyone signed through , with an option in 2014 tops and I'd really rather it were a year less.

If this team has one piece of the puzzle left, then I'd be all for a one or two monster signings, but we aren't there yet.
    He will sign a megayear deal. I'm 99.9 % sure. 2014 as the final option year will not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    He will sign a megayear deal. I'm 99.9 % sure. 2014 as the final option year will not happen.
    I wouldn't be so sure. The owners seem to be working this "recession" angle with great airtight-ness.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

FWIW, though I don't know if the Reds are still considered players in this, the Phillies have publicly balked at the Jays' demands and, as of now, say they will not be acquiring Halladay. This is clearly an attempt at leverage, but it will be interesting to see if someone takes advantage of the Phillies' stepping back.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?