Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Telemarketing, what's the deal?

Re: Telemarketing, what's the deal?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Well in that case obviously ask if the person you are calling for is available or just switch it to Mr. Jones.

Pretend like you are calling one of your friends parents. Like its someone you've known all your life but that you wouldn't normally call. That's the tone and confidence you should take into that call.
    Yeah I am picking up on those little nuances. But when I call I am usually looking for one of the (normally) 2 whom have the authority to make a decision which is why I am still asking for either or.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Again nothing better for me except a quick yeah I'll buy whatever you are selling. If you immediately cut me off firmly but politely and suggest this you just got me off the hook on the call. I might pause as I rustle around looking for the area of which I need to reply "accordingly" and document it but I will say something momentarily. Problem is people say that and I MUST confirm their info in order to put this action into effect and before I can they hang up thinking that is all they have to do/say and there is nothing else I need to do to get it done.
    Actually lots of times just press the #2 which is 75% the automatic number removal default. We get a LOT of computer calls here in oregon.

As for the conversation with a real human part, I'll pass I have people dogging me all day for answers on software development, at the end of the day if I want to buy something I'll be the instigator in any sales banter.

Yeah I am picking up on those little nuances. But when I call I am usually looking for one of the (normally) 2 whom have the authority to make a decision which is why I am still asking for either or.
    Right. I think you might be over thinking it a little bit. If you have a number for the Jones residence and someone answers the phone there is a good chance its Mr. or Mrs. Jones. If you say "Mr. JONES!" and its not Mr. Jones but you said it like that 9/10 times that person will say "One second I'll get him for you". If you say "Is Mr. Jones available?" you are now going to get may I ask who's calling and that's it even if Mr. Jones picked up the phone.
    It's human nature. You say someone's name loudly (don't go crazy just be assertive) they are going to say "Yes". Now the path is clear and you just gave yourself a chance. I make a lot of calls for a living. You will be stunned how effective that is.

And, when you figure how many people we call and how many of those 2-3% or more aren't on purpose that may donate how much money or whatever you are looking for will you lose over the course of time?
    Pretty close to none. You've already established that 49 out of 50 will say no to begin with. Well I think a great deal of those that hing up on you did so on purpose and will probably be even madder the next time you call them. Thus your chances of hitting on those 2nd calls are miniscule. Don't go there. It's not worth it

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

https://donotcall.gov/

I'm on it and I love it. And if a telemarketer does still call, I get their info and report them through the site. Apparently they are fined.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post

I'm on it and I love it. And if a telemarketer does still call, I get their info and report them through the site. Apparently they are fined.
    Me too. Love it and it filters out most everyone, except pollsters, charities and people you HAVE done business with.

Everyone else gets reported...I'm ruthless. However, very few actually get fined, I believe.

As for the rest.

Pollsters: I tell them I'm busy. Hang up.
    Charities: I don't do business over the phone. Hang up.

People I HAVE done business with. They bank/credit card companies selling some crap, love to do this. Again...I don't do business over the phone and if they call again, I will close all accounts and sever all ties. I follow up with an angry email stating the same. I usually get an apologetic letter (in the mail) and no more calls.

I'm a nasty old fart. Sorry Mario-Rijo.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I have no patience for it. The do not call list is a "Godsend." My Dad liked to have fun with it. When they would ask him how he was, he would go into this long winded diatribe about how his feet were hurting, his rheumatism was acting up, he hadn't got any sleep for a couple of nights, his dinner upset his stomach and so on and so on. They would usually hang up on him. He got a kick out of it and it was always funny to listen to.

I once did phone surveys for a large research company. I didn't enjoy the job at all, but I was one of the most successful people there. Somehow I completed about 60% of my surveys successfully, as opposed to the 20% rate everyone else had. I still don't know how, so I don't have any tips.

Ya know it's funny I don't mind that so much, in fact it's the easiest way to get me out of a tough situation. Problem is that is worse for you than it is for the caller/me. When you just hang up you lose your leverage to keep it from happening again. I don't know if your kid accidentally hung up the phone, the dog pulled the wire out of the wall or you just hung up, so I must mark the call in such a manner that we end up calling you back.

The ones that get me are the ones that here the whole spiel and then act like I just asked for their 1st born and everything in their savings account. I have been turned down I don't even know how many times by numerous folks over asking for something that costs less than a can of soda and only as a one time donation and may cost them all of five minutes of their time at most. People just are so perplexing.
    I guess I don't just hang up. If I give the out (usually "we're not in a position to help this year" or "I'm just not interested in xyz") and they start in with more selling, I say "thank you" into the phone and hang up without waiting for a response. I often hear a "but have you thought...." as the phone receiver gets hung up.

I know its a tough job, but we've all got tough jobs.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't know how you can do a job where you get rejected 98% of the time.

I wish telemarketers would ask a question like do you want what I'm selling? Instead they say "let me confirm your address and I'll send this right out." That's not being honest. If I say I'm not interested, thank you for calling then accept it, move on and call someone else who might say yes. If you persist then I will hang up on you

They don't do that because they are trying to avoid a no answer. Even a legit company will have their people do that and then confirm that you want what they are selling.

If you hang up on them, it will just give them an excuse to call back. If you have your kid answer the phone and tell them that their parent(s) are in the shower, again, it gives them an excuse to call back. If you are really not interested, let them know ASAP so they won't call you back for a while and so the operator can take another call sooner. If you really don't want to be bothered, tell them to put you on the do not call list. A legitimate operation has to honor that.

As you might have learned, I've done this off and on in the past. I wasn't ever out to con anyone and the majority of these people are/were just like me and trying to make an extra buck or two. Like the saying goes, don't hate the player, hate the game. A polite immediate no or telling them to put you on the do not call list is much better than screaming and cursing at them.

Mario, don't take rejection or the nasty people personally. The quicker they say no, the quicker you can move on to another call. If they get abusive, hang up and go to the next call. You don't have to take their abuse. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post

Right assuming they are not a non-profit organization which is a large part of what I do. The do not call list does not apply to them. We also take a large dose of inbound calls as well on other things.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I guess I don't just hang up. If I give the out (usually "we're not in a position to help this year" or "I'm just not interested in xyz") and they start in with more selling, I say "thank you" into the phone and hang up without waiting for a response. I often hear a "but have you thought...." as the phone receiver gets hung up.

I know its a tough job, but we've all got tough jobs.
    Yeah it can be tough, I can handle it not a problem. However it just amazes me how completely closed off to the idea a vast majority of folks are about helping others. Perhaps I am missing something though like a lack of trust by the public in these charitable organizations. However I think a lot of people just use that as a nice excuse to avoid feeling any guilt. But I do know some who genuinely do not trust that the money is going where they say it is.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Right. I think you might be over thinking it a little bit. If you have a number for the Jones residence and someone answers the phone there is a good chance its Mr. or Mrs. Jones. If you say "Mr. JONES!" and its not Mr. Jones but you said it like that 9/10 times that person will say "One second I'll get him for you". If you say "Is Mr. Jones available?" you are now going to get may I ask who's calling and that's it even if Mr. Jones picked up the phone.
    It's human nature. You say someone's name loudly (don't go crazy just be assertive) they are going to say "Yes". Now the path is clear and you just gave yourself a chance. I make a lot of calls for a living. You will be stunned how effective that is.
    Ah I see, ok I'll go with that and see how it works. Thanks.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    They don't do that because they are trying to avoid a no answer. Even a legit company will have their people do that and then confirm that you want what they are selling.

If you hang up on them, it will just give them an excuse to call back. If you have your kid answer the phone and tell them that their parent(s) are in the shower, again, it gives them an excuse to call back. If you are really not interested, let them know ASAP so they won't call you back for a while and so the operator can take another call sooner. If you really don't want to be bothered, tell them to put you on the do not call list. A legitimate operation has to honor that.

As you might have learned, I've done this off and on in the past. I wasn't ever out to con anyone and the majority of these people are/were just like me and trying to make an extra buck or two. Like the saying goes, don't hate the player, hate the game. A polite immediate no or telling them to put you on the do not call list is much better than screaming and cursing at them.

Mario, don't take rejection or the nasty people personally. The quicker they say no, the quicker you can move on to another call. If they get abusive, hang up and go to the next call. You don't have to take their abuse. Good luck.
    Well put Chip definitely my main point don't hate me I wouldn't be calling if I didn't have to put bread on the table myself. I can understand the guy on the other end of the line but the company is paying me to do something else and they are recording literally every breath I take for that 8 hours and listening to it. Don't hate the player (I'd rather be forklifting) hate the game.

Thanks for the advice.

--Woody Hayes

I understand being annoyed by the call and getting angry, but why punish the caller for it? Don't shoot the messenger imo.

Turn Off Ads?