Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Telemarketing, what's the deal?

Re: Telemarketing, what's the deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If you hang up on them, it will just give them an excuse to call back. If you have your kid answer the phone and tell them that their parent(s) are in the shower, again, it gives them an excuse to call back. If you are really not interested, let them know ASAP so they won't call you back for a while and so the operator can take another call sooner. If you really don't want to be bothered, tell them to put you on the do not call list. A legitimate operation has to honor that.

That's what I do as well. My point is that I have to interrupt them in order to tell them no because they aren't asking me a question nor are they giving me an opportunity to respond.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Perhaps I am missing something though like a lack of trust by the public in these charitable organizations. However I think a lot of people just use that as a nice excuse to avoid feeling any guilt. But I do know some who genuinely do not trust that the money is going where they say it is.

OK, I'll explain it to you. There are a lot of scams out there. We can't tell on the phone if you're legit or not. In fact many experts will advise you never to give money over the phone. Are you asking for their credit card? Another red flag. I want to know the organization I'm giving to and I can't do that over the phone.

In addition, we can't afford to give to every well intentioned charity. For example, my brother died of leukemia so my charity dollars go to the Leukemia Society and my church. There's only so many dollars available for charities these days and choices have to be made.

Personally, I'd rather have 100 telemarketing calls verses one door-to-door person trying to sell me something. The caller ID is all I need when it comes to telemarketing. It's a bit more difficult to dodge the door-to-door folks when you're either outside already, or you've got the doors and windows open, so they know you're home.

On those rare occasions that I've actually answered the phone, I'm never rude. I simply say "no thanks, I'm not interested". I give them one chance to respond, then once again so "no thanks, I'm not interested" and hang up.

Last Sunday, we had a door-to-door guy come by the house at 8:30pm. He was selling some artwork. I was like, are you kidding me?! Do you really think that some artwork is tops on my list of "wants" at 8:30 at night on a Sunday? Come on dude, use your head. I'm not buying a DaVinci on Sunday night

I won't give my home number to any business because of my disdain for telemarketing. Caller ID has saved me much time and aggravation. No number that I do not recognize ever gets answered.

I am on the "Do not Call" list and rarely get a sales call. It's one of the best things I ever did. I just don't like dealing with that. I feel for anyone having to do this as I'm sure it's a tough line of work.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Yeah it can be tough, I can handle it not a problem. However it just amazes me how completely closed off to the idea a vast majority of folks are about helping others. Perhaps I am missing something though like a lack of trust by the public in these charitable organizations. However I think a lot of people just use that as a nice excuse to avoid feeling any guilt. But I do know some who genuinely do not trust that the money is going where they say it is.
    I research who my charitable dollars go to and make a conscious decision to give them money. I don't just go "hey, yeah, gee, sure, that's a good idea" to some guy that calls me who I have no idea who he/she is and how on the up and up they are. And frankly, I've already done my due diligence and given my money to the worthy causes of my choice. If I had indicated some interest to you, then I'll have a conversation. But if I haven't, its a cold call to me and I don't do *anything* on a cold call.

Don't mean to be rude, but its not like I'm at the mall or out on the town shopping. I'm in the privacy of my own home and I didn't invite you to call me.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I research who my charitable dollars go to and make a conscious decision to give them money. I don't just go "hey, yeah, gee, sure, that's a good idea" to some guy that calls me who I have no idea who he/she is and how on the up and up they are. And frankly, I've already done my due diligence and given my money to the worthy causes of my choice. If I had indicated some interest to you, then I'll have a conversation. But if I haven't, its a cold call to me and I don't do *anything* on a cold call.

Don't mean to be rude, but its not like I'm at the mall or out on the town shopping. I'm in the privacy of my own home and I didn't invite you to call me.

Yeah, I have to agree.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

That's certainly understandable.

I have learned one thing about this line of work that I didn't know before, if you don't like to be bugged get informed. These places can and will call and there are few things you can do to stop it. I used to hang up myself before they could ever get started, and now I know why they keep on calling when I do that. Now if they were to call me for starters I'd 1st listen to what they have to say, some don't actually want money from you or at least a lot but maybe just a bit of your time. Second if I don't care for donating time or money to that specific cause I will kindly ask them to remove me from their **Master**call list, (yeah a different call list) and hang on the phone until I get confirmation of this being done. And that way I nip that company in particular right in the bud and every organization they work for. Also get included on the National Do not Call List. Oh and before long I think our cell phones will not be safe anymore either so might have to eventually add it to those lists as well.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

It was your decision to take the job and you represent the company you work for. If you don't like the job, get another one. If you can't find another one, go to trade school. If you don't have time for trade school because of family or something, well, you probably had opportunity when you were younger and didn't take advantage of it.

It ain't the guy on the other end of the phone's fault. You're the one that's stalking him, so he's got every right to be pissed.

Caller ID. If I don't recognize your name or number, I don't talk to you. You get my answering machine & then I delete whatever message it is that you leave me.

Occasionally, though, I would pick up a telemarketer call if my then-toddler was in the middle of a tantrum. That was always fun to let her wail into the phone so that others could share the joy of her kicking & screaming.

"Why no, it's not a bad time at all. I'd absolutely love to hear what you have to say right now..."

I understand that folks have bills to pay.

But there's a special corner of hell that's reserved for telemarketers.

I'll listen to the opening spiel of the telemarketer, at least to the point where they take their first breath.

99 times out of 100, I'm not interested enough to pursue the conversation. At which time I will give the telemarketer a graceful "out" of the conversation. If they don't pick up on the hint and wrap things up quickly, I'll just hang up. You called me, I didn't call you.
    I'm the same way. I'll let them give their opening and just say I'm not interested, but if they just don't stop talking I hang up.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

I try to treat all unsolicited phone calls as potentially malicious phishing attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'm the same way. I'll let them give their opening and just say I'm not interested, but if they just don't stop talking I hang up.
    Same here. I actually had a guy call me back once, after I hung up. He wanted to get nasty about it. If I want something, I will make the call.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

On the brink of disaster acredsfan's Avatar

I understand the need for charitable organizations to get their name out and try to raise money, but unsolicited calls are not the way to do it. As someone already mentioned, these calls are happening in the privacy of a person's home on a phone that they use for personal purposes. I don't blame the people making the calls, but at the same time you have to be ready for the backlash when you take that job. I'm not the kind to be mean, so I don't give the telemarketer a hard time if I answer, but I do not agree with this form of marketing. I am especially angered by the amount of sales call I have started to recieve on my cell phone, often for the wrong person. Get your organization's name out by doing things in the community and advertising online or on TV. Calling me during dinner or while I am trying to sleep during the day isn't going to make me feel good about your charity.

My late grandfather would listen to their entire sales pitch before telling them no if he wasn't busy because he said that would be one less phone call they would be able to make to annoy someone else. He'd sometimes keep them on the phone for 30 minutes asking them questions. He was always polite, but he was probably trying to entertain himself in the process.
    "I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." -- House

"You guys are still thinking like doctors when you should be thinking like plumbers. Come on, I wanna see some butt crack." -- House

when they call and ask for me i tell them to hold. next i sit the phone down and walk away after a few minutes they get the hint and hang up. while hanging up on them is easier i get some satisfaction on costing them some time from making other calls.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Turn Off Ads?