Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Turn to Improve the Reds in Three Moves

Your Turn to Improve the Reds in Three Moves

OK, here's the drill. Since Walt won't do anything, it's your turn. You have three moves to improve the Reds, and by improve, I mean do whatever you would do if you were the GM to improve the future outlook. You can blow it up or go for it, you can target 2010 or 2100. But first, there are a few rules of the game:

1. You can only make 3 moves. A trade counts as 1 move. A FA signing counts as 1 move.
    2. Castellini, Jocketty, and Dusty are in place. Don't waste one of your moves discussing them.
    3. You cannot add more than $10MM per year to the current payroll.
    4. You cannot add contracts that have more than $50MM total left on the deal.
    5. You cannot trade for any of the prospects that BA listed as "Untouchable."
    6. Try to be as realistic as possible in any proposed trades, assessing the counterparty's needs and motives as best you can. (For instance, you cannot ship $50MM to the Pirates, attempt to trade Brandon Phillips to the Phillies, etc.)

Fire away!
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-24-2009 at 05:13 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Your Turn to Improve the Reds in Three Moves

1. Release Willy Taveras.
    2. Release JHj
    3. Release Alex Gonzalez.

A 22 man roster without those guys (since I'm out of moves) is already better. It might mean that Cueto is playing SS, on days he isn't pitching, but hey...

Fire Dusty Baker, hire him back, then fire him again.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

1. Release Willy Taveras, call up a bench guy. Making Dickerson the starting CF every day.
    2. Trade Bronson Arroyo/Matt Maloney/B prospect for anyone.
    3. Sign John Lackey in the offseason.

Initial thoughts without much thought put into them.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    1. Release Willy Taveras.
    2. Release JHj
    3. Release Alex Gonzalez.

A 22 man roster without those guys (since I'm out of moves) is already better. It might mean that Cueto is playing SS, on days he isn't pitching, but hey...

Its just that easy. No new contracts come in, no talent goes out and the team is better.

Shocking that the FO can't grasp something so simple.

Too bad about theJodketty & Baker conditions because that is where it has to start IMO.

1) I'd want anowner that wants to make money and knows the way to do that is to start from the ground up an lay a solid foundation - funding now toreap the benfits for years to come.

2) A GM who is agressive and creative. someone who will deal guys a year to early instead of two years too late. Someone who who won't look at WillyT and think he's found an answer to anything. Someone who will either go for it now or build strong for tomorrow - not tiptoe some half-***** tightrope that insures long stretches of mediocrity.

3) Bring in an equally young and agressive manager to implement the plan. Someone who can handle young guys well and stresses fundamental. I'd also identify the best available pitching and hitting coaches and not only put them in charge of the 25-man roster, but I'd have them involved with selection of minor league hitting and pitching philosophies throughout the system - to be implemented the first day they lace up their cleats in Rookie ball.

4. Would have been a new owner, but if he would take these steps, then Castellini coud stay.

My GM, manager, pitching and hitting coaches would come from winning, well-run organizations and would be decided on after consulting the best and brightest minds I could find in the game. Like many, I had hoped for a the best with Jocketty, but it is coming clear that he'd just more of the same on the Major League level. Mediocrity has become the corporate culture of the Reds. Until this culture changes, nothing much else will.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 07-24-2009 at 06:57 PM.

Burn down the stadium

Take bus ride to St. Louis

Steal the identities of the Cardinals players

Production when searching for pitchers.
    Potential when searching for bats.
    And get Halladay.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Can I turn the clock back to last winter?

nm

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Can I turn the clock back to last winter?
    Sure, if its before the Taveras signing so steps can be taken. If you do turn it back, you will find me saying that Arroyo should not be dealt unless a pitcher of equal value could be added - I was soooo wrong. I just want a GM and manager that realizes it six months before I do and acts on it.

I trade fringe talent to acquire Ian Snell, Clint Barmes and Brandon Morrow.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

1. Acquire Mark Derosa
    2. Acquire Julio Lugo
    3. Acquire Matt Holliday

Oh....another team already did that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Same three moves I've had on the table since the 22-1 butt whooping

1. Send everyone with options to the minors
    2. DFA everyone not named Joey Votto
    3. Fire the GM and everyone under him

The Pads will move Adrian Gonazlez. I'd offer Alonso and a generous package of yougsters for Peavy, provided he's healthy.

By hook or by crook, I'd try to get Izturus from the Angels. They want pitching. I'd listen on Harang (but want more than Izturus for him). I'd want to give them Weathers and/or Rhodes.

See if I can buy low on Bad Vlad over the winter.

Turn Off Ads?