Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds trapped by 2010 payroll

Reds trapped by 2010 payroll

Read an interesting piece by Daugherty which talked about the situation and their payroll I could not believe it.

Here is the already commited payroll for next year

Harang 12.5 million
    Cordero 12 million
    Arroyo 11 million
    Taveras 4 millon
    EE 4.75 million
    Rhodes 2 million
    Phillips 6.75 million
    Lincoln 2.5 million
    Weathers .4 million if the Reds dump his option
    Hernandez 1 million if the Reds dump his option
    Gonzalez .5 million if the Reds dump his option
    And of course Baker 3.5 million

That is 61 million already committed to 8 players. They still have to pay for 17 more. Even at the major league minimum 65 million is already committed. If they pick up any option they either come close to 70 million or go over it which is really close to what they have now. There is not a lot of manuevering room especially in this economy. I really can't see Castellini having that deep of pockets. Considering the performances this year I can't see any team relieving the Reds of these contracts. 2010 will be a very long year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds trapped by 2010 payroll

Whats funny is Jocketty says he isn't making moves based on payroll. Great. What about 2010?

The top 3 of that list need to go, I'm sorry. Well Taveras too, but we already knew that when he was signed.

Harang is starting to lose it, I don't know how much trade value he has right now, but we need to make a move while its still possible. Arroyo has picked it up and should have some value. And you don't sign a closer for $10 mil plus, sorry.

If we can get two of the three off the books by the deadline, with anything remotely decent, that would be a success. Then again, if someone claims them off waivers, we should do that too, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    There is not a lot of manuevering room especially in this economy. I really can't see Castellini having that deep of pockets. Considering the performances this year I can't see any team relieving the Reds of these contracts. 2010 will be a very long year.

There is not a lot of manuevering room, especially in this economy. I really can't see myself having that deep of pockets, and renewing my season tickets considering the performances this year.
    Last edited by mroby85; 07-24-2009 at 09:30 PM.

If you put any of them on waivers the Reds are still responsible for their salaries The other team gets a free player.

so basically if we cant trade and have some teams take on some of the contracts, we're stuck with the same team next year? should be another long year

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Taveras 4 millon.

Rounding third and heading for home...

Taveras is the 4th highest paid player on the team next year, my goodness... that's why this team is so bad and unfortunately this thread erases the only thing we did have, hope for the future

Let's say by some stroke of luck the Reds are able to get rid of Arroyo and Harang while not picking up any of the contracts. It still won't matter. Even with Arroyo, Harang, Gonzo, Ramon and Weathers coming off the books they still won't sign anyone of any consequence. It's not their style, never has been. They'll just lower the payroll down to Linder levels. This team will never win again. Just like the Pirates. Might as well contract them. It's over for baseball in Cincy.

Here's an idea that imo isn't asking too much.How about signing a few good players and bumping payroll up to around 100 million(still around middle of the pack).Get the interest up a little going into next season and sell a few extra tickets because of it.Then if the investment pays off and you start winning some games you will sell a few more extra tickets.Then if we are still winning games and contending by this time next year you might have been able to generate enough extra revenue in ticket sales that you not only have made up the extra money spent in the off season, you have enough cash to add to payroll and improve your team even more.You do that and then you make the playoffs and before you know it you have a solid enough fan base again that you can spend some money every year.And then I don't have to be so depressed this time of the year all of the time.
    Last edited by Captain Hook; 07-25-2009 at 03:46 AM.

Hell, 85 million spent wisely (especially if at least one of Arroyo or Harang is gone) would do wonders for this team.

It's completely normal to have a large chunk of your team's payroll tied up in a few players (remember the days of Griffey and Dunn?). Daugherty still has a decent point, though. The Reds will most likely need to move at least one highly-paid player before next season starts.

Supposedly, the Reds' salary budget for 2009 was expected to be about $70 million. With inflation, it's not completely out of the question for next year's to be around $70 million, which is about where the Reds stand for 2010. I'm sure they'd love to dump some salary, but they shouldn't be absolutely desperate to do so until 2011, when they have over $85 million tied up in the roster thanks to a few raises and arbitration for Votto, Volquez, Cueto, Burton, and possibly more.

If Bailey and/or Owings proves to be at least an average starting pitcher, I think we'll see Arroyo get moved.

Code:
     C Ryan Hanigan		 0.400
    1B Joey Votto		 0.400
    2B Brandon Phillips	 6.750
    3B Edwin Encarnacion	 4.750
    SS Paul Janish		 0.400
    LF Chris Heisey		 0.400
    CF Drew Stubbs		 0.400
    RF Jay Bruce		 0.400
     C Craig Tatum		 0.400
    IF Adam Rosales		 0.400
    IF Drew Sutton		 0.400
    OF Willy Taveras	 4.000
    OF Chris Dickerson	 0.400
    SP Edinson Volquez	 0.400
    SP Aaron Harang		12.500
    SP Johnny Cueto		 0.400
    SP Bronson Arroyo	11.000
    SP Homer Bailey		 0.400
    CL Francisco Cordero	12.000
    RP Dave Weathers	 3.700
    RP Arthur Rhodes	 2.000
    RP Nick Masset		 1.700? arbitration
    RP Jared Burton		 2.000? arbitration
    RP Mike Lincoln		 2.500
    RP Micah Owings		 2.500? arbitration
    TOTAL SALARY		70.600

BUYOUTS
    Ramon Hernandez		 1.000
    Alex Gonzalez		 0.500

OTHER
    Yonder Alonso		 0.500

(And if the Reds want to keep around Nix and/or Gomes, they'll have to offer arbitration.)

Turn Off Ads?