Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ray Kolp (Reds Pitcher from 1927 thru 1934)

BigRug22

Ray Kolp (Reds Pitcher from 1927 thru 1934)

I am new, and I am here. I've got an interest in Ray Kolp (Raymond C. Kolp), who pitched well for the Reds 1927 thru 1934. I'm interested in stories, vintage baseball cards, and pictures related to Ray Kolp. Any Ray Kolp fans or memories still out there?

http://www.kolps.com

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Ray Kolp (Reds Pitcher from 1927 thru 1934)

Hi BR. Welcome!

Is Ray Kolp a relative?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

BigRug22

Yes, he is a distant relative. I talked earlier this year with his 95 year old niece in Colorado, who told me stories of her summers as a youngster living with Ray Kolp and wife Bertha in Cincinnati (probably at 1253 Rutledge Ave). She remembers him well, describing him as a "dapper" man. Says he earned $10,000 per year, which "was a fortune back then."
    Last edited by BigRug22; 07-29-2009 at 09:32 AM.

Ray Kolp's 1933 Goudey card, front:

and back:

These are the only cards of his that I have.

10k a year? doubtful, especially for that reds team, they changed owners during his stay and the 2nd owner ended up going bankrupt and giving the club to the bank.

BigRug22

I found this image, supposedly of the 1928 Reds, on the internet.

Is it the 1928 Reds or not? If it is, which one is Ray Kolp?

My guess is that Ray Kolp is in the middle row, third from the left.

I'd say it's very possible its that team, it looks like Jack Hendicks is the manager, and I don't see Edd Roush, thus that's at least in the time frame.

You can dig up some images from the Spalding guides on the American Memory site.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collecti...ing/index.html

Such as this 1928 image

Ray Kolp Reds Pitcher from 1927 thru 1934

Thanks for posting the link, Sam. It looks like a good site.

Learned today, by searching old newspapers using Google, that Reds 1930s hurler Ray Kolp had a son, Dick Kolp, who played in 1939 and 1940 for the Paducah (Kentucky) Indians, in the minors. He too was a pitcher. Dick would be about 92, if he were still alive today.

Any Kolp descendants of Ray or Dick out there?

I learned recently that Ray Kolp, Reds pitcher from 1927 thru 1934, lived near Vine Street in the Carthage section of Cincinnati in the 1960s. He died in 1967, and his services were at the Hodapp Funeral Home at 7401 Vine Street. He was a guard at Ridgewood Ordnance in the 60s.

I am interested in learning more about him. Any oldtimers out there that remember him? Where did he live? Who were his friends.

I've added new pictures of him in his Reds uniform to his dedicated website:

http://www.raykolp.com

Who is the other Reds player pictured with Ray Kolp in the latest snapshot? Anyone know?

I've also added a photo to the website of his silver LIFETIME PASS. I understand that major league baseball began giving them out in the mid-1930s to players who retired with ten years in the majors. Do they still give them out?

Any and all information about Ray Kolp or his son Dick would be appreciated. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrug22 View Post
    I've also added a photo to the website of his silver LIFETIME PASS. I understand that major league baseball began giving them out in the mid-1930s to players who retired with ten years in the majors. Do they still give them out?
    I can answer this. Yes, they still give them out. When I went to the Louisville Slugger Museum, we were told that former players who had the lifetime pass could tour the museum for free.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I hope to visit Cooperstown this Summer for sure and see what Lifetime Passes they have there. Thanks for the information.

Does anyone know who the ballplayer in the below picture on the left is? Ray Kolp is on the right, and my guess is the year is around 1934 or 1935.

Picture is one of many 1928-1935 Reds from http:www.raykolp.com

If this helps you, the player on the left looks noticeably shorter, and Ray Kolp was listed at 5'10". I spent about 10 seconds researching it, and I think it's Benny Frey. Don't quote me on it though. I might look into it more when I get more time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrug22 View Post
    I hope to visit Cooperstown this Summer for sure and see what Lifetime Passes they have there. Thanks for the information.

Does anyone know who the ballplayer in the below picture on the left is? Ray Kolp is on the right, and my guess is the year is around 1934 or 1935.

Picture is one of many 1928-1935 Reds from http:www.raykolp.com
    That image is from 1929 or 1930, those are the Reds home uniforms.

That "might" be Tony Cuccinello (who was 5' 7") with Kolp

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    That image is from 1929 or 1930, those are the Reds home uniforms.

That "might" be Tony Cuccinello (who was 5' 7") with Kolp
    Your knowledge is amazing.

Turn Off Ads?