Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Standing Pat:Carl Petersen Theroy

Standing Pat:Carl Petersen Theroy

Does anyone get a sneaky feeling that Walt and company will use this line with the trade deadline next Friday. We tried to make a deal but we dont want to give up a certain player but in reality it is what I called the Carl Petersen sports theroy. As long you played around 500 ball up team put fanny in the seats.You did your job for the year regardless what the media and the fans think should be done to the team. Just an honest opinioned being around the Reds and the NFL Chiefs for the last couple of years.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Standing Pat:Carl Petersen Theroy

Quote Originally Posted by Royals Fan View Post
    Does anyone get a sneaky feeling that Walt and company will use this line with the trade deadline next Friday. We tried to make a deal but we dont want to give up a certain player but in reality it is what I called the Carl Petersen sports theroy. As long you played around 500 ball up team put fanny in the seats.You did your job for the year regardless what the media and the fans think should be done to the team. Just an honest opinioned being around the Reds and the NFL Chiefs for the last couple of years.
    I see what you are saying, but atleast the Chiefs had a legitimate shot at it when Vermiel was their HC. KC had a very competitive team with Vermiel and before when Schottenheimer was there and has been in the thick of things more times than not. Herm Edwards was a terrible hire, that's why they are in such terrible shape now.

The Reds are more like the Bengals. Some talent, no chemistry, no leadership, terrible owners, terrible scouting and drafting, no vision for the future.

As Herm would say "You play to win the game". The Reds haven't figured that one out yet.
    Last edited by BlastFurnace; 07-25-2009 at 04:18 PM.

I lived in Kansas City for 4 yrs. Carl was there for almost 20 years. Each year he bring some free agent that would not work ie Pat Surtain or Kendrick Bell. All along he would keep saying there ultimate goal was the super bowl but in reality they happy to 8 and 8 at worst 6 and 10 each year cause the fan would still show up each year pay big money to see this average team. I feel like the Reds are doing the same thing to there fanbase bring a free agent here and there but in reality it doesnt matter cause they never bring in anything that worth anything and there farm system is bare for the most with top propect due to mismanagement throught the years.It one of the big reason the Reds can't trade for anything due to there percevied weak farm system throught baseball from scouts and executives.

Quote Originally Posted by Royals Fan View Post
    I lived in Kansas City for 4 yrs. Carl was there for almost 20 years. Each year he bring some free agent that would not work ie Pat Surtain or Kendrick Bell. All along he would keep saying there ultimate goal was the super bowl but in reality they happy to 8 and 8 at worst 6 and 10 each year cause the fan would still show up each year pay big money to see this average team. I feel like the Reds are doing the same thing to there fanbase bring a free agent here and there but in reality it doesnt matter cause they never bring in anything that worth anything and there farm system is bare for the most with top propect due to mismanagement throught the years.It one of the big reason the Reds can't trade for anything due to there percevied weak farm system throught baseball from scouts and executives.
    As a Steelers fan, I could have warned you about Kendrell Bell. He was great in his first 2 years and then injuries ruined his career. I couldn't believe the Chiefs gave him the money they did.

The problem with the FA's the Reds bring in is that they are guys like Willie Tavares, Alex Gonzales, Ramon Hernandez and guys like that. It's like settling for the Generic brand instead of the Brand Name of the drug...it looks like the same thing, but it isn't. The guys they bring in and pay good money for are complementary players or guys that can play that role if the other 7 position guys are upper tier guys. The Reds try to sell guys like Tavares and Gonzales to be upper tier guys and that is what they clearly are not. The team doesn't get excited, the fan base doesn't get excited, moral is low and what we end up with is what we have had for the past 15 years.

The one guy the spent a lot of money for that has pitched well is Cordero. Problem is, the Reds can't score any runs and they are usually behind after the 5th inning for the remainder of the game.

My problem with the Reds Mangement is there ideal that these so called great pick up are nothing more than attempt to break even and make some profit each year. King Carl's theroy if you play ball around 500 people will come out and wathced them every year and you make money for ownership and but in reality there no where close to making seroius run for the playoff or even a World Series

Just like the Chiefs- which havent been to the Super Bowl since LBJ was President and the Reds since George Bush 1 and before than it was Jimmy Carter- talk about a 2 teams that are a run of mill that are breaking even every year due to people accepting this still going to there games after all these years. Sad but true state of the Reds since mid 1970's

Turn Off Ads?