Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds in "serious talks" about Rolen?

Reds in "serious talks" about Rolen?

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9...ble-Rolen-deal

The Reds and Blue Jays have had discussions within the past several days about a trade that would send Toronto third baseman Scott Rolen to Cincinnati, major league sources told FOXSports.com on Saturday.

The sides are still trying to determine which players would head to Toronto in the deal, but the source said that third baseman Edwin Encarnacion would be included.

A deal was not imminent as of Saturday afternoon, as Rolen played third base for the Blue Jays during their extra-inning game against Tampa Bay. The possible Rolen trade could also be affected by Toronto's ongoing trade talks relating to Roy Halladay.

Rolen won a World Series while playing for current Reds general manager Walt Jocketty in St. Louis. Cincinnati officials have been looking for a right-handed hitter such as Rolen for much of the season.

Rolen is having his best year since 2006, batting .319 with seven home runs and 37 RBIs.

The Reds, who have lost five straight games, are widely expected to sell at the deadline. But acquiring Rolen would give the team a head start on planning for 2010, since Rolen is already under contract for next year at $11 million.

Unless owner Bob Castellini plans to expand the team's payroll, acquiring Rolen may necessitate that Jocketty move other salaries off the books. One source with knowledge of the team's plans said the Reds have already made right-handers Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo available on the trade market.

Harang will earn $12.5 million next year, Arroyo $11 million.

---------------------------

I would for sure approve this deal. Big Rolen fan, and not a fan of EE at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished

Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The base you want to acquire is home.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds in "serious talks" about Rolen?

Get rid of Arroyo and bring in Rolen to offset salaries. If EE is involved that would be extra money for the offseason. Id love to see this next year

1. cf - Dickerson / Stubbs / Heisey
    2. C - Hanigan
    3. 1st - Votto
    4. LF - Sign Vlad to 1 year deal
    5. RF - Bruce
    6. 3rd - Rolen
    7. 2nd - Phillips
    8. SS - Someone from outside organization
    2009 Redszone MLB Mock Draft

1st Round - Steven Strasburg

1st Round - Matt Purke

2nd Round - Brett Jackson

3rd Round - Kent Matthes

Pretty much useless trade and very typical of the Reds.

Edwin since return .997 OPS
    Rolen over the same period .739

What an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Pretty much useless trade and very typical of the Reds.
    Agreed. The time to get Rolen was when he was with the Phillies....years ago. He doesn't have much left in the tank. Not a good move if this happens.

Edwin defensively- maybe the worst 3b in baseball.
    Rolen defensively- GG caliber.

What a downgrade.

Long live punishment

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post

What a downgrade.
    and does nothing to improve this team because we still have 1/3 of an outfield, and no shortstop.

Adding rolen just replaces Edwin, and instead of defense problems you have injury problems looming. Seems like a pointless trade and something I could see the Reds doing considering their love of doing the wrong thing at every point possible.

I am not disagreeing with you directly, GIDP- I am just stating the other sides to the situation. Maybe the FO thinks that getting better 3b defense will take pressure off of the SS situation? I guess that is a truism, although sort of a sideways one...

Long live punishment

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    I am not disagreeing with you directly, GIDP- I am just stating the other sides to the situation. Maybe the FO thinks that getting better 3b defense will take pressure off of the SS situation? I guess that is a truism, although sort of a sideways one...
    Yea why not go and fix the useless SS, CF, and 5th starter problem instead of fixing a spot that isnt that bad with a solution that might not be that much better.

Reds need to add Cliff Lee, Scuttaro, and rolen to even remotely be a play off team. Hopefully none of those happen beacuse not only will we miss the playoffs this year anyways we will now be stuck with having not only a terrible team, no prospects left in the minors.

They waited too long in my opinion. If they were going to make a deal and try to make a push, they shouldve done it weeks ago. Now that they're out of it, they might as well wait until next year outside of trading guys like Weathers, Arroyo for prospects. Not saying this is what I wanted, i'm as impatient with losing as anyone, but I just don't see this year being in the cards now that they've waited this long.

What an upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus

What a downgrade.
    This seems to be a trade-off we've seen a lot of lately with the Reds--less offense, more run prevention. This can work in theory of course, but as a practical mater the Reds have become so inept offensively it is almost not possible to prevent enough runs for them to win. So far this year, compared to last year the team is better at preventing runs, but they have lost even more run production, so net they are further from being a .500 team.

I'd have loved Rolen a few years ago, but he seems like a very risky and very expensive bet. He could cost a lot next year to be injured/rapidly declining on offense. This team doesn't operate with the payroll flexibility to lose a bet like this.
    Last edited by BRM13; 07-25-2009 at 06:12 PM. Reason: typ

agree with GIDP, worthless trade. just no point in doing so. hopefully walt isnt trying to make this move just to say we made a move. rolen isnt getting any younger. if you wanna trade edwin, trade for some prospects.

What an upgrade.
    Give EE another week or two and he'll be right there. Don't understand your love with EE, but watching him play third for the Reds for the last 4 years is enough for me.

Here's what I'd like to see next year:

Scuarto SS Aquired as FA
    Philips 2nd
    Votto 1st
    Rolen 3rd Aquired through trade
    Gomes LF
    Bruce RF
    Dickerson CF
    Hanigan C

Trade Harang and EE to cover salaries of Rolen and Scuarto, who can play SS till one of the kids is ready. Hopefully one of the pitching kids will be ready to start next year but we do have this for now:

Volquez
    Cueto
    Arroyo
    Owings
    Bailey

And keep the bullpen intact for now, unless you can do a Weathers and a minor league prospect or two for Matt Kemp of the Dogers who then replaces Gomes in left.

We have a good team, but as long as Hairston, Gonzales, Taveras are starting, we have no chance.

This team is more than one year away. Getting Rolen now would be a waste of prospects, and do little to help over what we have now. Your also talking a big salary, which would tie Jocketty's hands in making other deals. The Reds have tried using retreads in the past and few, if any have made an impact.

Turn Off Ads?