Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolen Talks Revived

Re: Rolen Talks Revived

Essentially every move Jocketty has made has so far (or not made) has reflected the reality of a small market team. Dumping Griffey and Dunn, not trading for Dye. Not signing any Krivsky-like disaster contracts (Harang, Arroyo, Cordero, and semi-disaster contract Gonzalez).

So trading EE and a prospect for an 11 milion dollar guy would be a very bad sign.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Essentially every move Jocketty has made has so far (or not made) has reflected the reality of a small market team. Dumping Griffey and Dunn, not trading for Dye. Not signing any Krivsky-like disaster contracts (Harang, Arroyo, Cordero, and semi-disaster contract Gonzalez).

So trading EE and a prospect for an 11 milion dollar guy would be a very bad sign.
    I agree. Rolens best days are well behind him, I don't think he is worth 11 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I agree. Rolens best days are well behind him, I don't think he is worth 11 million.
    There would have to be a decent amt of money coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    There would have to be a decent amt of money coming back.
    I imagine Ricciardi is moving Rolen to shed money.

If Rolen could fill the salary space left by Arroyo if he's moved, it would be a mammoth coup. But that's two "if"s
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I imagine Ricciardi is moving Rolen to shed money.

If Rolen could fill the salary space left by Arroyo if he's moved, it would be a mammoth coup. But that's two "if"s
    Shedding money could mean taking on 50%.

EdE and a prospect is a decent return. I would assume that Toronto is paying some of his remaining money.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    re-sign Gonzalez,
    Shhhhhh!!!! Don't even think about it. Someone will read that. I have to go pour rubbing alcohol in my eyes for even reading that.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    If they trade for Rolen and re-sign Gonzalez, they can have a great defensive left side of the infield on the DL next season. I have always liked Rolen, but a 35 year old third baseman with a history of back problems sounds scary to me.
    Rolen is good for about 1 productive, and healthy, year out of every 4 seasons at this point.

6:08pm: AOL FanHouse's Ed Price tweets that it's possible for the Reds to acquire Rolen, "but a lot would have to happen," according to a source.
    Now I don't know who Ed Price is but I think the point is that, at this point, it's just a rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Gonzo is not going to be the primary shortstop next year. It would be ridiculous for that to happen. He's had too many injuries, too much mileage to be the primary shortstop next year. And his contract is up.

Anything's possible, but that's not a realistic scenario.

As for third base, it's not as if EE has been injury free this season. Worst case, we have another mix and match year at third. And it's not like Griffey at all. Rolen isn't getting a lengthy extension, this is for a couple of years.

I'm not ecstatic about this possibility, but it would be a reasonable risk, a decent move for 2010 if the price is not too high.
    I said that, about Gonzo, mainly in jest. I would hope that he is on someone else's DL next season.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Like others have mentioned, this only works if there are also other moves made as well. It's something entirely different if it's the only move.
    Seems to me that any move will have minimal positive impact if it's the only move. That said, I'm in favor of bringing in Rolen. Then get a shortstop.....and a corner outfielder.......and.......

Are we really certain that Rolen, at his age, would be that much of an upgrade over EE? Since when have 26 year-old, cheap, productive 3B gone out of style? I just don't get it.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Are we really certain that Rolen, at his age, would be that much of an upgrade over EE? Since when have 26 year-old, cheap, productive 3B gone out of style? I just don't get it.
    EdE has out-produced Rolen both of the past 2 seasons, while staying vastly more healthy. And I wouldn't be surprised to see EdE be more productive this year during the July-September period.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    EdE has out-produced Rolen both of the past 2 seasons, while staying vastly more healthy. And I wouldn't be surprised to see EdE be more productive this year during the July-September period.
    EdE's fine, but he's not a 3rd baseman. That's beyond established. I'd have no problem keeping him and putting him in LF. But if he moves to LF, then the Reds have no 3rd baseman in earnest. Enter Rolen.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

EdE's fine, but he's not a 3rd baseman. That's beyond established. I'd have no problem keeping him and putting him in LF. But if he moves to LF, then the Reds have no 3rd baseman in earnest. Enter Rolen.
    Yea, I see where you are coming from. I would still feel that Rolen's salary is a luxury we can't afford, given that his addition would still leave us needing to vastly upgrade SS, LF and a mid-high rotation spot. A lot of money allocated to a guy who hasn't produced consistently in years, and who is on a first name basis with the DL.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Yep. And starting next year, Encarnacion's not that cheap. Cheaper than Rolen, yes. But no longer cheap enough for the prevailing logic to this point -- "good offense, he gives a lot of it back on defense, but that's okay, he's cheap" -- to remain nearly as logical.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?