Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolen Talks Revived

Rolen Talks Revived

So typical of the Reds...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9...ble-Rolen-deal

Sources: Jays, Reds talking possible Rolen deal
    The Reds and Blue Jays have had discussions within the past several days about a trade that would send Toronto third baseman Scott Rolen to Cincinnati, major league sources told FOXSports.com on Saturday.

The sides are still trying to determine which players would head to Toronto in the deal, but the source said that third baseman Edwin Encarnacion would be included.

A deal was not imminent as of Saturday afternoon, as Rolen played third base for the Blue Jays during their extra-inning game against Tampa Bay. The possible Rolen trade could also be affected by Toronto's ongoing trade talks relating to Roy Halladay.

Rolen won a World Series while playing for current Reds general manager Walt Jocketty in St. Louis. Cincinnati officials have been looking for a right-handed hitter such as Rolen for much of the season.

Rolen is having his best year since 2006, batting .319 with seven home runs and 37 RBIs.

The Reds, who have lost five straight games, are widely expected to sell at the deadline. But acquiring Rolen would give the team a head start on planning for 2010, since Rolen is already under contract for next year at $11 million.

Unless owner Bob Castellini plans to expand the team's payroll, acquiring Rolen may necessitate that Jocketty move other salaries off the books. One source with knowledge of the team's plans said the Reds have already made right-handers Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo available on the trade market.

Harang will earn $12.5 million next year, Arroyo $11 million.
    I'm not interested unless Halladay is involved.
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-25-2009 at 05:18 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rolen Talks Revived

Blue Jays, Reds Discussing Rolen By Drew Silva [July 25 at 3:59pm CST]

According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, a source has indicated that the Blue Jays and Reds are discussing a trade involving third baseman Scott Rolen. As Morosi writes,

"The sides are still trying to determine which players would head to Toronto in the deal, but the source said that third baseman Edwin Encarnacion would be included."

Rolen is enjoying a nice resurgence this season after spending the last several years battling injuries. As of Saturday afternoon, he's batting .317/.372/.469 with seven home runs and 37 RBI in 322 at-bats. He is owed $11MM next season and about $3.5MM for the rest of '09. The Reds are quickly falling out of contention, but adding Rolen's veteran presence and Gold Glove defense would surely help them chase the NL Wild Card.

if its EE & another player/prospect then sign me up. why? because both EE's & Rolen's contracts are up after 2010 but Rolen is a better hitter & a way better fielder. it would be step #1 of improving the team for 2010. it would help this years team also but the #1 goal of any move Walt makes should be to improve the team from 2010 on.

We are chasing our own tail, not to mention four other teams in the NL Central. So yea trade for Rolen and then chase the NL Wild Card.

Maybe three weeks ago, this would of been an awesome story.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

I would love to have Scott Rolen....

Seven years ago.

I think this is a move for 2010...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    if its EE & another player/prospect then sign me up. why? because both EE's & Rolen's contracts are up after 2010 but Rolen is a better hitter & a way better fielder. it would be step #1 of improving the team for 2010. it would help this years team also but the #1 goal of any move Walt makes should be to improve the team from 2010 on.
    The difference in their salaries will most likely prevent other additions for next season, be it a Lackey, Holliday, or otherwise.

This is the exact type of Reds move that is half-assing it for the rest of the year. "Look what we did to try and contend!" after they are already out of it. Like I said, if Halladay is in the deal, or there are other high-priced acquisitions, then it's something else. If this is it, I'm not interested.
    Go BLUE!!!

I wouldn't assume that this deal (IF it happens) would mean they wouldn't do anything else. Too soon to tell. But like others, I think this would be more for 2010. While the playoffs isn't technically impossible this year yet the odds are pretty stacked against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    The difference in their salaries will most likely prevent other additions for next season, be it a Lackey, Holliday, or otherwise.

This is the exact type of Reds move that is half-assing it for the rest of the year. "Look what we did to try and contend!" after they are already out of it. Like I said, if Halladay is in the deal, or there are other high-priced acquisitions, then it's something else. If this is it, I'm not interested.
    Agreed. And 3b is not the issue w/ this team right now. Plain and simple.

I think this move would mean that other moves are certainly pending. The payroll isn't going to go up.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    Yes it is.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I just refuse to believe this would be the only move. I'd have to think there are more trades to follow. Considering Walt has said time and time again they won't make a move to mortgage the future, this has to be more for next year, with more moves to follow.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    Is it the top issue? No, but even I am starting to think it needs to be improved.

I would not include a Top 10 prospect with EE for Rolen, unless the Jays were picking up some of the bill.

However for Rolen and Halladay, I'd offer Alonso, Wood, Heisey, and just about anyone else in Dayton or Sarasota- provided they'd take EE and Arroyo to offset some of the cost.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Is it the top issue? No, but even I am starting to think it needs to be improved.
    That's my point. This simply isn't a pressing need. Give me a real, major league SS, a real LF that isn't a statue and some SP's...

My point isn't that EdE is the best we can hope for. Fine, if improving 3b is feasible, I'm all for it, but it's hardly a top 3 issue on this team.

Turn Off Ads?