Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Novel Idea for the Lame Duck Rotation

Novel Idea for the Lame Duck Rotation

Outside of Arroyo, every starting pitcher on the Reds appears to be getting worse by the outing. Harang and Cueto look dramatically worse every time they take the hill, leading me to suspect that they may be injured. Owings and Volquez are already injured. Why not allow Harang and Cueto to join them on the DL, and bring up the entire also-ran staff from Louisville?

This season is clearly in the tank. Don't risk damaging Cueto for the future or Harang's future trade value by letting them continue to deteriorate before our eyes. Bring up Justin Lehr, Ben Jukich, Matt Maloney, Ramon Ramirez, and (if you can trade Arroyo) Sam LeCure. We have to figure out what to do with those guys before next season anyway, as there will be guys like Stewart, Wood, Smith, possibly Buck and eventually Leake ready to take their place in the Louisville rotation. I can't imagine any of them have very much trade value that could be hurt by exposing them to major league pitching. Bailey should be a AAA pitcher right now anyway, so might as well let the rest of his minor league bretheren join him in the Cincy rotation. Who knows? Maybe one of them sticks and you have your 2010 Ron Villone/Steve Parris, or better yet- you have another chip to trade.

(The sad thing is, I'm only half kidding)
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-30-2009 at 02:41 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Novel Idea

I'd wager that replacement rotation would do considerably better than the current horse feces on the 25 man.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Re: Novel Idea

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'd wager that replacement rotation would do considerably better than the current horse feces on the 25 man.
    Obviously it couldn't do much worse than what we've seen since the Break.
    Go BLUE!!!

Re: Novel Idea for the Lame Duck Rotation

We'll see Lehr tomorrow and we already have Homer here so we aren't as far off as you think!

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1 View Post
    We'll see Lehr tomorrow and we already have Homer here so we aren't as far off as you think!
    Lehr is pretty much the presumptive ace of the staff till someone can knock him off the pedestal.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Senor Votto

Who would read a book about this rotation?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Janish doesn't get much playing time as is...

Give him the ball every 5th day...

Mario Soto better be on a plane tonight to come up and help Cueto.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The Reds shouldn't have to keep flying Soto in to fix these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I'm not sure what Soto can do to help him. I think Cueto is just tired. He pitched winter ball in 2007 and then threw 174 innings last season. Then he followed that up by pitching winter ball in 2008, plus spring training was longer this year because of the WBC, that adds even more innings to his workload. I just think he's worn down. I'm hoping the Reds skip a start here and there to keep his innings down. Oh, and don't allow him to pitch winter ball.

Turn Off Ads?