Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolen Talks Revived

Re: Rolen Talks Revived

Whats amazing to me is we keep hearing this rumor. Do the Reds really think they are 'that close' and bringing in a gimpy 30something player is going to cure all their ills?

Or are the going to get Rolen and then trade Weathers for a so-so AA prospect and try to sell the idea that they are going 'all in'.

The whole thing smacks of them being lost in fantesy land.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Whats amazing to me is we keep hearing this rumor. Do the Reds really think they are 'that close' and bringing in a gimpy 30something player is going to cure all their ills?

Or are the going to get Rolen and then trade Weathers for a so-so AA prospect and try to sell the idea that they are going 'all in'.

I think getting Rolen for these rumored names isn't fantasy at all. I think it's understanding the market.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post

He is Walt's buddy.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    He is Walt's buddy.
    He's also a plus-fielding / plus-hitting third baseman -- something this franchise doesn't have right now -- under contract for just 1 more year.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

in 2007 Rolen's OPS was 730, in 2008 it was 780, this year it is 850.

Considering his injury history and age(will be 35) what would be the expectations?

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

It's pretty clear to me that a Rolen deal would be primarily a move to solidify the position for next year, giving them freedom to use Encarnacion to solve another problem, be it as a left fielder or a trading chip.

This is the kind of deal I could be strongly in favor of or totally aghast that we made, all depending on the particulars.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post

Considering his injury history and age(will be 35) what would be the expectations?
    Facing National League (specifically NL Central) pitching and playing half his games in the GABP? Assuming he stays healthy, I'd say it's not out of line to expect at least an .820-.830 OPS.

Health is the primary concern. As long as he's healthy, he should be fairly productive, IMO.

In the NL, against Central pitching in GAB, probably .850. With top of the heap defense.

That infield would be solidly demonic defensively (let's assume Janish for the sake of argument): Rolen, Janish, Phillips, Votto, and Hanigan. Assume Heisey/Stubbs in CF, Bruce (maybe) in RF. Get a masher in LF. They're all of a sudden on to something. Offensively, they're not that far away if they get Rolen.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Well in Reds Front Office Logic

He went up 50 in 2008
    He went up another 70 in 2009
    In 2010 he will be up 90 more so he will OPS 940

Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

He also only managed 112 and 115 games in 07 and 08. This year it looks like he will make it to 140+. What is more reasonable to expect in 2010?

BTW, if I was making a projection while assembling a team I wouldn't go any higher than 120 games and 780 OPS.

He also only managed 112 and 115 games in 07 and 08. This year it looks like he will make it to 140+. What is more reasonable to expect in 2010?

BTW, if I was making a projection while assembling a team I wouldn't go any higher than 120 games and 780 OPS.
    You are underestimating the value of playing the game the right way, and veteran leadership. Calculating those two as well he may well OPS 1.000. I can just see that lineup now

Taveras
    Janish
    Votto
    Rolen
    Phillips
    Bruce
    Gomes
    Hanigan
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    You are underestimating the value of playing the game the right way, and veteran leadership. Calculating those two as well he may well OPS 1.000.
    Reds do seem to go for projecting the best case scenario

What value do you put on moving BPhil from the clean up spot?

And how much value do you put on having someone at least a little bit fearful behind Joey Votto in the lineup?

I've said it before and I'll say it again... me likey Rolen.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Quote Originally Posted by I(heart)Freel View Post
    What value do you put on moving BPhil from the clean up spot?

And how much value do you put on having someone at least a little bit fearful behind Joey Votto in the lineup?

I've said it before and I'll say it again... me likey Rolen.
    Phillips is likely a better option than Rolen. Much more power at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    In the NL, against Central pitching in GAB, probably .850. With top of the heap defense.

That infield would be solidly demonic defensively (let's assume Janish for the sake of argument): Rolen, Janish, Phillips, Votto, and Hanigan. Assume Heisey/Stubbs in CF, Bruce (maybe) in RF. Get a masher in LF. They're all of a sudden on to something. Offensively, they're not that far away if they get Rolen.
    This right here is exactly why the team is (correctly) kicking the tires to see if they can pry Scott Rolen loose on the cheap.

Rolen is a legitimate #5 hitter than can provide additional protection for Votto/Phillips/ whatever masher they bring in to play LF.

Turn Off Ads?