Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolen Talks Revived

Re: Rolen Talks Revived

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    This leads me to believe the deal is contingent upon the Jays kicking back some money, which perhaps they're not able (or willing) to do unless Halladay is traded.
    I think it's been well-documented that is indeed the case. The Reds want the Jays to pick up half of Rolen's 2010 salary. I'd also be interested in Marco Scuarto.

However I wouldn't offer that much in addition to EE. In other words, no Homer Bailey and no Alonso/Frazier/Stewart.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Having watched Scott Rolen, will Toronto fans rebel at watching EE play defense? I'm just not buying that EE is part of the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Having watched Scott Rolen, will Toronto fans rebel at watching EE play defense? I'm just not buying that EE is part of the trade.
    Who plays 3B if he's not? Would that cause a bigger rebellion?
    Go BLUE!!!

Todd Frazier? Drew Sutton until Juan Francisco can do it?

Todd Frazier? Drew Sutton until Juan Francisco can do it?
    Uh, I thought we were talking about the Blue Jays?
    Go BLUE!!!

I am.

I am.
    I have a hard time believing that any team would prefer a return of Drew Sutton and/or Juan Francisco to EE. If they would, be my guest!
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I have a hard time believing that any team would prefer a return of Drew Sutton and/or Juan Francisco to EE. If they would, be my guest!
    That wouldn't be the whole package. The whole package might involve either one of Stubbs/Heisey, probably Stubbs, and both Sutton and Francisco, or possibly a pitcher. If the name isn't Bailey, Travis Wood will surely be the one being talked about. I just think that there's next to no reason for a club that's trying to cut payroll to take on EE, whose value I think RZers tend to vastly overrate.

There obviously could be a trade for Rolen but if a deal is made it would appear that there really is no truth to the rumors over the years of LaRussa coming here. I think some have speculated on that if Dusty was fired this winter. LaRussa and Rolen didn't see "eye to eye" the last time they wore the same uniform.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Foxsports.com says the Reds are still trying to get Rolen, but the Jays are holding it up because on the Halladay stuff. They also said the Reds are not in on Halladay.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

That wouldn't be the whole package. The whole package might involve either one of Stubbs/Heisey, probably Stubbs, and both Sutton and Francisco, or possibly a pitcher. If the name isn't Bailey, Travis Wood will surely be the one being talked about. I just think that there's next to no reason for a club that's trying to cut payroll to take on EE, whose value I think RZers tend to vastly overrate.
    Stubbs and Francisco, or Stubbs and Bailey/Woods for about one year of Rolen????

Have I fallen asleep and suddenly awoken at a time that we are contending?

We should be trading guys like Rolen instead of trading two top prospects for an aging vet.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Stubbs and Francisco, or Stubbs and Bailey/Woods for about one year of Rolen????

Have I fallen asleep and suddenly awoken at a time that we are contending?

We should be trading guys like Rolen instead of trading two top prospects for an aging vet.
    I wasn't suggesting that's what we'd be trading: I was speculating about what they'd be asking. Remember we're supposedly asking them also to take half Rolen's salary. They're not going to do that for nothing. I've suggested it before but I do think a Francisco, Sutton, Stubbs package would make sense for both sides, we to get Rolen and half his salary. It frees us also to move EE elsewhere, either to LF or to somebody else.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I wasn't suggesting that's what we'd be trading: I was speculating about what they'd be asking. Remember we're supposedly asking them also to take half Rolen's salary. They're not going to do that for nothing. I've suggested it before but I do think a Francisco, Sutton, Stubbs package would make sense for both sides, we to get Rolen and half his salary. It frees us also to move EE elsewhere, either to LF or to somebody else.
    Trading Stubbs and Francisco for even a half price Rolen makes zero sense to the Reds.

Trading Stubbs and Francisco for even a half price Rolen makes zero sense to the Reds.
    You've been pretty obviously against the Reds trading promise for production. What would you argue the Reds should do? Remember: few teams are parting with prospects right now (and even fewer are parting with prospects for the garbage that the Reds are trying to palm off--Arroyo, etc).
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I don't really view Stubbs or Francisco as a "top prospect." They might have that status right now, but I can't say that I see either one reaching their "ceiling."

I see Stubbs as Taveras with better range and Francisco as a Tony Batista type. I'd consider this deal, as long as the Jays pay half of Rolen's salary and there's another shoe to drop (a front-end starter and/or SS is brought in.)
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?