Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Rolen Talks Revived

Re: Rolen Talks Revived

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    That infield would be solidly demonic defensively (let's assume Janish for the sake of argument): Rolen, Janish, Phillips, Votto, and Hanigan. Assume Heisey/Stubbs in CF, Bruce (maybe) in RF. Get a masher in LF. They're all of a sudden on to something. Offensively, they're not that far away if they get Rolen.
    The problem is getting a masher for LF while addressing the obvious problems with the starting rotation, and doing this with no payroll flexibility whatsoever given Rolen's sizable contract and the money flushed down the toilet on below average talent like Arroyo and Taveras. Also it assumes that Bruce's offseason surgery to remove his head from his hindquarters is successful.

But hey, it's something.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    The problem is getting a masher for LF while addressing the obvious problems with the starting rotation, and doing this with no payroll flexibility whatsoever given Rolen's sizable contract and the money flushed down the toilet on below average talent like Arroyo and Taveras. Also it assumes that Bruce's offseason surgery to remove his head from his hindquarters is successful.

But hey, it's something.
    I am posting a sunny scenario, and you don't have to convince me that fixing water on the knee (the offense) isn't as important as removing the brain tumor (rotation) it has, but one thing at a time I guess.

On a related note, it appears with the recent dumpster-diving, a big move for pitching isn't happening at the deadline.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    On a related note, it appears with the recent dumpster-diving, a big move for pitching isn't happening at the deadline.
    Given the way the Castellini Reds have done business, especially since Jocketty's appointment, any sort of "big move" was highly unlikely.

I could see us dumping Arroyo plus cash on someone but that's it. Hell, Nick Swisher made a horse's patoot of himself in front of the Steinbrenners in TB last night, maybe ask about him.

But hey, it's something.
    For the sake of using actual numbers (always, according to Cot's) and assumgin Reds don't pick up any options...

Reds 2010 payroll with Edwin: 56.5
    Reds 2010 payroll with Rolen (and not Edwin): 62.75

Maybe you stick with Janish's glove at SS. And a whole lot of league minimum salaries for the rest of the team. That means there could be $6-10 to spend on a left field free agent and still be in the $75 to $80 payroll range.

Just saying: even if they don't unload an Arroyo or Harang contract but still acquire Rolen, there is *some* money to play with. How's it's spent... well... there we're in a little gray area.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Given the way the Castellini Reds have done business, especially since Jocketty's appointment, any sort of "big move" was highly unlikely.
    those only happen down the hall at the first door on the right.

I think its important to remember that the deadline for acquiring Scott Rolen isn't July 31, heck it really doesn't even matter if he's acquired by August 31(Post-Season deadline.)

Also, the Reds should be able to shed Arroyo's payroll onto a contender if the contender is agreeable. I doubt anyone's going to claim him off waivers if they're trying to make a trade.

mlbtraderumors.com

12:34pm: No mention of Alonso from him, but Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun tweets, "Looks like Rolen to Reds has a 'good chance' of getting done."

12:20pm: Joe McDonald of the Providence Journal says the Reds and Jays are talking about a Rolen-Yonder Alonso swap. Say what?

Unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Unreal.
    As flyer said, anyone can say anything. Alonso being involved is no more or less true than there even being discussions for Rolen. It's all phantom till the documents get signed.

I doubt the deal gets done.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Good point FCB.

I'm back on the Rolen bandwagon. But I can't believe they'd include Alonso if it's just Rolen coming back. It appears the Jays need to cut costs, so there's no way the Reds eat salary and have to give up an elite prospect. Is there?

How come the cincy writers/media have absolutely no sources?
    Where we gonna go?

I can see giving up EE plus chaff for Rolen. Defense and leadership and professionalism does count some.

But why in heaven's name would they give up Alonso?

Walt, no.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    How come the cincy writers/media have absolutely no sources?
    Sources are only as good as the people feeding the information want them to be.

It was mentioned in another thread, but I think some general managers are shrewdly using other media outlets to get out what they want. Putting Alonso's name out in the open could be a leveraging tactic to drive up the price.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I'm back on the Rolen bandwagon. But I can't believe they'd include Alonso if it's just Rolen coming back. It appears the Jays need to cut costs, so there's no way the Reds eat salary and have to give up an elite prospect. Is there?
    I can't fathom the rationale behind a Scott Rolen bandwagon. He'll be 35 opening day of next season, and he's spent a very significant amount of time on the DL in 3 of his last 4 full MLB seasons. Meanwhile, this season is only the 2nd time in the past 5 years that he's managed an OPS over .780, so even on those rare occasions when he's healthy for a full season, production isn't guaranteed. And that's going to improve with age? Likewkise, we'll be paying $11 million for his services, which expire in 2010, despite the fact that this team has no chance in Hades of contending in 2010.

If we had shed all our cumbersome contracts, had addressed the major outstanding needs at SP, SS, LF, had seen all of youngsters trending towards major production upswings, and had a nice haul from the farm knocking down the door... THEN it might have been the time to enjoy a 1 year rental of Rolen in a gesture of going for it. But we've accomplished NONE of the above. Rolen is a great fit for a lot of teams for the professionalism, leadership, production that he brings, but the 2009/2010 Reds would not appear to be one of them.

Jocketty has no overarching plan, and seemingly no new innovative ideas, so this smacks of a safety retreat into the familiarity of acquiring an old resource that helped change his team's fortunes in the past. Only it's 7 years late, and we're not the Cardinals.
    Last edited by Stormy; 07-30-2009 at 02:22 PM.

Turn Off Ads?