Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Rolen Talks Revived

Re: Rolen Talks Revived

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I can't fathom the rationale behind a Scott Rolen bandwagon. He'll be 35 opening day of next season, and he's spent a very significant amount of time on the DL in 3 of his last 4 full MLB seasons. Meanwhile, this season is only the 2nd time in the past 5 years that he's managed an OPS over .780, so even on those rare occasions when he's healthy for a full season, production isn't guaranteed. And that's going to improve with age? Likewkise, we'll be paying $11 million for his services, which expire in 2010, despite the fact that this team has no chance in Hades of contending in 2010.

If we had shed all our cumbersome contracts, had addressed the major outstanding needs at SP, SS, LF, had seen all of youngsters trending towards major production upswings, and had a nice haul from the farm knocking down the door... THEN it might have been the time to enjoy a 1 year rental of Rolen in a gesture of going for it. But we've accomplished NONE of the above. Rolen is a great fit for a lot of teams for the professionalism, leadership, production that he brings, but the 2009/2010 Reds would not appear to be one of them.
    I'm starting to come around on this opinion. This team literally needs improvement out of 70% of its 25 man roster. That won't be accomplished next year or in two or three years. That's a five year mission at least, be it Beane, Jocketty, Gillick, or DePodesta.

This team is MLB's worst. Its immediate future is as bad as the Royals and the Nats.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I was on the Scott Rolen bandwagon until I heard the price was Alonso. If Alonso is going there, I want a piece of Halladay or Scutaro or one of their top prospects. Or if it is straight up, we better be able to provide them speed off the bench in the form of Willy Taveras.

I like the concept of Alonso as trade bait, but I always imagined him getting traded for the shortstop of the future.

A source would not deny that the Jays are talking to the Reds about a Rolen trade. That usually means something's cooking...

http://twitter.com/MLBastian/status/2934866512

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I was on the Scott Rolen bandwagon until I heard the price was Alonso. If Alonso is going there, I want a piece of Halladay or Scutaro or one of their top prospects. Or if it is straight up, we better be able to provide them speed off the bench in the form of Willy Taveras.

I like the concept of Alonso as trade bait, but I always imagined him getting traded for the shortstop of the future.
    I don't believe for a second the price is Alonso. If it were, it would be as part of a bigger deal or would mean the Reds had something else cooking. Otherwise, I pass the Alonso thing off as nothing more than typical rumoring that happens 24 hours before the deadline.

I've vowed to give Walt Jocketty a chance. But I cannot fathom he would ever make that deal. And if he did (does), shame on him.

No worries for me though. I don't have the slightest belief there's truth to this 1-for-1 deal.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    A source would not deny that the Jays are talking to the Reds about a Rolen trade. That usually means something's cooking...

http://twitter.com/MLBastian/status/2934866512
    Usually when it gets to the point of being universally admitted there's serious talks, it winds up happening.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I don't believe for a second the price is Alonso. If it were, it would be as part of a bigger deal or would mean the Reds had something else cooking. Otherwise, I pass the Alonso thing off as nothing more than typical rumoring that happens 24 hours before the deadline.

I've vowed to give Walt Jocketty a chance. But I cannot fathom he would ever make that deal. And if he did (does), shame on him.

No worries for me though. I don't have the slightest belief there's truth to this 1-for-1 deal.
    Let's hope you are right. I would have a hard time supporting WJ if he trades arguably our best minor league hitter for a 34 year old 3b. Again, I like Rolen, just he is not close to worth Alonso especially if the Reds have to pay Rolen $10 mil next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'm starting to come around on this opinion. This team literally needs improvement out of 70% of its 25 man roster. That won't be accomplished next year or in two or three years. That's a five year mission at least, be it Beane, Jocketty, Gillick, or DePodesta.
    Five years? No. Two years? Maybe.

This team is MLB's worst. Its immediate future is as bad as the Royals and the Nats.
    Hyperbole strikes again.
    Go BLUE!!!

Let's hope you are right. I would have a hard time supporting WJ if he trades arguably our best minor league hitter for a 34 year old 3b. Again, I like Rolen, just he is not close to worth Alonso especially if the Reds have to pay Rolen $10 mil next year.
    I agree 100 percent. I think Rolen would be a good acquisition. And I'm not totally opposed to trading Yonder in the right deal. But these two things do not mix as positioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

Hyperbole strikes again.
    How does one replace what needs to be replaced in two years? This team is a disaster from top to bottom. As has been discussed, there are 6-7 keepable or worthy players on the 25 man.

And even if you're really bullish on the minor leaguers, it certainly takes two or three years for most to produce at a competitive or contending level.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Yes. I'd say that Votto, Phillips, EdE*, Bruce*, Cueto and Volquez*, and 2-3 bullpen arms, combine to form the nucleus of a slightly below average NL team (and even many of the keys to the young core have major question marks around them, denoted by *). This is further compounded by the fact that the remaining 2/3 of the roster is mostly comprised by absolute dreck, and a few solid role players.

So, even with optimal returns to health, and ideal progress from the farm, you're looking at the need to replace a majority of the roster, and in some cases replace them with major impact players (SP, SS, LF etc...). That's not happening on a quick timetable. Let's not make short-sighted trades, as though it were. The only thing that could change this would be the pie-in-the-sky scenario of major talent infusion via blockbuster trade, but I don't think we have the will or the fortitude for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Yes. I'd say that Votto, Phillips, EdE*, Bruce*, Cueto and Volquez*, and 2-3 bullpen arms, combine to form the nucleus of a slightly below average NL team (and even many of the keys to the young core have major question marks around them, denoted by *). This is further compounded by the fact that the remaining 2/3 of the roster is mostly comprised by absolute dreck, and a few solid role players.

So, even with optimal returns to health, and ideal progress from the farm, you're looking at the need to replace a majority of the roster, and in some cases replace them with major impact players (SP, SS, LF etc...). That's not happening on a quick timetable. Let's not make short-sighted trades, as though it were. The only thing that could change this would be the pie-in-the-sky scenario of major talent infusion via blockbuster trade, but I don't think we have the will or the fortitude for that.

I'd almost certainly dump EdE from the list. He's athletic laudanum.

How does one replace what needs to be replaced in two years? This team is a disaster from top to bottom. As has been discussed, there are 6-7 keepable or worthy players on the 25 man.

And even if you're really bullish on the minor leaguers, it certainly takes two or three years for most to produce at a competitive or contending level.
    You answered your own question.

The Reds have a lot of perceived talent in the minor leagues. Things can turn around fast if you have a GM willing to pull the trigger.
    Go BLUE!!!

Reds Talks Stalling

Kenny Ken Ken and Pope John Paul Morosi are quoting a source describing the Scott Rolen talks between the Jays and Reds as "Going nowhere. Stuck. Impasse."

I assume that's a word for word quote of a txt message. I wonder if the punctuation is right.
    http://www.drunkjaysfans.com/

Alonso for Rolen? Well, I've already done quite a bit of laughing this season so I guess I might as well laugh some more.

I actually like Scott Rolen too. I think he's been an underrated player most of his career, and I think he's got a pretty darn good case for the Hall of Fame. But he's getting up there in age and has been missing a good chunk of time to injury, and like Stormy said, this team has far too many problems for a Scott Rolen to fix. At this point in his career, Rolen is moreso a guy to use as a finishing touch, not help the foundation.

Then again, the Reds could have just drafted Gordon Beckham last year instead of Alonso and all of this would be a moot/already solved problem.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

You don't rebuild with 34 year old players with a history of not being healthy. Rolen could be useful, but not for Alonso.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?