Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Rolen Talks Revived

Re: Rolen Talks Revived

[QUOTE=Benihana;1934849]Before I die, I'd love to get an inside look into real, live, actual trade discussions leading up to the deadline, and then take a look at what is being simultaneously reported about such discussions. I'd imagine the two versions would be nearly unrecognizable from one another.

I'm beginning to feel like it might actually be worth taking a 24 hour nap from baseball right about now, and coming back tomorrow to see what actually transpired...

Tracy Ringolsby wrote a great book in the 80's about a winter meetings. I wish I could remember the name if it. He followed the Braves team around as they discussed deal after deal. It was a real good, intimate look inside how these things work.

I read it twenty years ago, so I can't remember many details, except most of the talk was around Jeff Blauser. Every team wanted him from the Braves.

But from what I can remember, you are very correct that what gets reported was very different from what was actually being discussed. I believe the GM's even joked about some crazy reports a few times.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Or are you a real men of genius?
    And if there's gravy, well then everything is going to be ok.....

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    And if there's gravy, well then everything is going to be ok.....
    I only wish that whoever posted that commercial hadn't disabled the embed...

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I only wish that whoever posted that commercial hadn't disabled the embed...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEYIn...eature=related

Totally unrelated to baseball but in some ways this season seems like Walt floated one and left us in the fart cloud.

Reds Back Off Rolen Deal
    By Tim Dierkes [July 30 at 4:13pm CST]
    4:13pm: ESPN's Peter Gammons says the Reds "backed off a potential deal" for Rolen. The Reds are actually hoping to move some contracts, and will listen on Bronson Arroyo, David Weathers, Aaron Harang, and Arthur Rhodes. Plus there's the issue of the Jays not wanting to trade Rolen if they keep Halladay.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    Reds Back Off Rolen Deal
    By Tim Dierkes [July 30 at 4:13pm CST]
    4:13pm: ESPN's Peter Gammons says the Reds "backed off a potential deal" for Rolen. The Reds are actually hoping to move some contracts, and will listen on Bronson Arroyo, David Weathers, Aaron Harang, and Arthur Rhodes. Plus there's the issue of the Jays not wanting to trade Rolen if they keep Halladay.
    I'm still betting it happens. Sounds like posturing to me. Jocketty is like Boras. He likes to wait to the last possible moment hoping to get the best deal possible.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I'm still betting it happens. Sounds like posturing to me. Jocketty is like Boras. He likes to wait to the last possible moment hoping to get the best deal possible.
    It would be the peak of pointlessness.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?