Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolen Talks Revived

Re: Rolen Talks Revived

I really believe that all this veteran presence and clubhouse leader stuff is very over-rated. Games are won on the field not in the clubhouse.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I really believe that all this veteran presence and clubhouse leader stuff is very over-rated. Games are won on the field not in the clubhouse.
    Someone has to be in charge of what music gets played in the locker-room, dude.

I'll play devil's advocate.

The Reds haven't been worth a rip in a decade. The last time they were relevant in MLB was 1999..the same year that Greg Vaugh showed up and started getting in guys' grills.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post

The Reds haven't been worth a rip in a decade. The last time they were relevant in MLB was 1999..the same year that Greg Vaugh showed up and started getting in guys' grills.
    I guess they could hire Greg Vaughn to come in every couple days to yell at them.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post

I don't believe the Reds won 96 games because Greg Vaughn was a clubhouse leader.

You go ahead and believe whatever you want, you have the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I guess they could hire Greg Vaughn to come in every couple days to yell at them.
    I'll do it for cheaper.

I don't believe the Reds won 96 games because Greg Vaughn was a clubhouse leader.

You go ahead and believe whatever you want, you have the right.

I think it was because Mark Sweeny destroyed pitchers to the tune of .355 .429 .645 1.074 over 35 glorious PA's.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I think it was because Mark Sweeny destroyed pitchers to the tune of .355 .429 .645 1.074 over 35 glorious PA's.
    That may have had more to do with winning some games than clubhouse leadership.

Leadership is like Hustle. Of course its a good thing. I wouldn't take a lesser player for his leadership though, just like I wouldn't want a lesser player just because he runs to first on a walk. Give me a good player who does those things and I'll be very happy. At this point, I just suspect that Rolen will not stay on the field enough to qualify as a good player. $11 Million going toward a leader on the sidelines causes the team to give-up talent in other areas to stick to the budget. Doesn't seem like a good trade-off to me.
    Last edited by mth123; 07-25-2009 at 11:24 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

To get back on track, I don't mind Cincinnati dealing for Rolen, assuming a lesser prospect goes to Toronto. He's still a plus defender and a quality hitter. He's a better player, at this point, than is EdE. The caveat that goes along with that, however, is that the Reds can't be done at that point. He'd be a great #6 hitter, below, say, Votto, Holiday/Bay, and Bruce.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

This is hilarious, yet appropriate. A day after the Cards land Holliday, the Reds appear to be going after the guy that SEVEN years ago they missed out on (and the Cards didn't).

Maybe in seven years they'll go after Holliday. LOL. Folks, the difference between Cincy and St. Louis can be summed up right here.

A day late and a dollar short.

As for Rolen. No thank you.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

No thanks on Rolen.. I think he is having a good year but wouldn't be a player i'd target. Look at SS and LF Walt.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Encarnacion and Rolen are a wash offensively and other than this year, EE actually plays.

Rolen has missed 223 games the past four years (not counting what he's missed in 2009). He played 2/3 of a year in both 2007 and 2008 and he OPS'd .729 and .780. All that and the guy is in his 35th year. He ain't getting any better folks, and he certainly isn't going to get healthier.

I can't even believe this is an option, but with the Reds I shouldn't be surprised.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRedleg; 07-25-2009 at 11:42 PM.

I think it's safe to say this move makes no sense. Make this move in the offseason when it would cost much less and maybe it's a good move. It they buy at this deadline, I think I'm officially done as a fan.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Are we really certain that Rolen, at his age, would be that much of an upgrade over EE? Since when have 26 year-old, cheap, productive 3B gone out of style? I just don't get it.
    When they can't play defense worth a damn -- that act has never been in style and never will be.

EE doesn't have the quickness, range, footwork or instinct to play third base effectively, and he doesn't have the bat to play LF. Unless one of those two things changes, he's a utility player and a bat off the bench masquerading as an everyday player -- which makes it no surprise he's starting for the Reds.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?