Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 232

Thread: Rolen Talks Revived

  1. #91
    Socratic Gadfly TheNext44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,228

    Re: Rolen Talks Revived

    6:08pm: AOL FanHouse's Ed Price tweets that it's possible for the Reds to acquire Rolen, "but a lot would have to happen," according to a source.
    Pure conjecture on my part, but I am guessing that Reds are trying to move one of big three contracts, Harang, Arroyo or Cordero, first before taking on Rolen. There is about a $10M difference between EE's contract and Rolen's contract for this year and 2010. Trading one of those three saves the Reds between $15M and $18M depending on who it is.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #92
    Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    in tornado alley
    Posts
    1,771

    Re: Rolen Talks Revived

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Pure conjecture on my part, but I am guessing that Reds are trying to move one of big three contracts, Harang, Arroyo or Cordero, first before taking on Rolen. There is about a $10M difference between EE's contract and Rolen's contract for this year and 2010. Trading one of those three saves the Reds between $15M and $18M depending on who it is.
    With Hernandez coming off the books next year, the Reds could still afford Rolen while maintaining payroll flex. Trading Arroyo or Harang would be a luxury to the budget but, not exactly necessary IMO. WJ does not need to trade for a bag of marbles to have any spending money in the offseason. If Rolen is picked up, it would virtually guarentee that Razor Ramon will be playing baseball for another squad next year. just my .02
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

  4. #93
    Member kpresidente's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,326

    Re: Rolen Talks Revived

    This makes sense if it means EE > LF

    Solves two big problems: who plays LF next year and what to do about the terrible defense at 3B? That leaves SS as the only real issue.

  5. #94
    I thought you'd be bigger OldXOhio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Green Country
    Posts
    2,791

    Re: Rolen Talks Revived

    Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    Agreed. And 3b is not the issue w/ this team right now. Plain and simple.
    The entire organization is an issue badly in need of an overhaul. If it means parting with EE for Rolen for 2010, then that would appear to be the case. Have to think Walt's trying to throw Arroyo or Harang into the deal to cover the discrepancy in cost. Sign me up.
    Last edited by OldXOhio; 07-26-2009 at 12:41 PM.
    Originally Posted by nate
    Chapman can be downright pornographic at times.

  6. #95
    Ripsnort wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    7,684

    Re: Rolen Talks Revived

    I wouldn't mind if Rolen were a Red.

    Thing is....Don't they have other more pressing areas of need that they could be pursuing?
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

  7. #96
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,628

    Re: Rolen Talks Revived

    Toronto's trying to unload salary so I see no way they're going to be taking on highly overpriced back of the rotation starters like Harang and Arroyo. If we sign Rolen I think we keep Harang and Arroyo, hope they can do about what they've done this year as next year's 4 and 5 and look for real elevation of the rotation next year out of Cueto, Volquez, and Bailey, next year's possible 1, 2, 3 (with Owings as fallback). If those three (Cueto, Volquez, Bailey) can assume that status by next year, Rolen might be enough to make us serious. EE, in my view, will not, either at 3b or in LF where he's unlikely to outperform even a Gomes-Nix platoon. Rolen makes us better for 2010, which is all we'd really want out of him. 2011 will bring a more extensive change to the whole lineup.

  8. #97
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,723

    Re: Rolen Talks Revived

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    This is just what the Jays have been waiting for. Rolen has a healthy stretch and some sucker with a history with him comes along and takes him off their hands before his back explodes again. All things considered, I'd rather have EdE.

    How quickly we forget Jr. landing on the DL again and again and again.
    This is what I forsee exactly. I like Rolen when he's healthy. But how often IS that really? I don't see him having longer healthy stretches this late in his career.

    In my eyes, this is a move to get the headache that is EE off the books period. It opens up a slot for the numerous up-and-coming minor league guys like Frazier, Valiaka, Francisco, etc. Rolen will be much easier to move to the bench when those guys are ready due to his age.

    I don't mind the deal, but to assume this helps us for 2010 is just ignoring his injury history and age IMO.
    Chapman to the rotation!!!! Do it already!!!!

  9. #98
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    2,729

    Re: Rolen Talks Revived

    per mlb traderumors today:and the Toronto sun

    *It doesn't look like the Reds will acquire Scott Rolen, now that they're nine games below .500 and in fifth place. A few weeks ago the Reds wanted to trade for Rolen, but asked the Jays to pay half of his $11MM salary next year"

    Season is over anyways..

  10. #99
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,713

    Re: Rolen Talks Revived

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    per mlb traderumors today:and the Toronto sun

    *It doesn't look like the Reds will acquire Scott Rolen, now that they're nine games below .500 and in fifth place. A few weeks ago the Reds wanted to trade for Rolen, but asked the Jays to pay half of his $11MM salary next year"

    Season is over anyways..
    I don't know how much truth there is to the details, but let's assume that the Reds are in talks on Rolen. Here is what is bugging me if now they do not decide to get him. Are you telling me that Walt did not see this coming anymore than we did? If you are working out a deal for Rolen, I would hope that WJ wasn't looking at the standings as the barometer. The GM needs to know his team better than that.

    If he was considering dealing for Rolen when we were around .500, then it is still just as good an idea today if it makes the squad better, esp. looking toward 2010. Sure, there are budgetary constraints, but if this was an "if we're in contention" thought, then he clearly doesn't know his team well enough, which is honestly inexcusable at this stage.

    Yet, the evidence points to him being as possibly delusional about the current squad as some of the most optimistic fans. If our GM is sitting around waiting to see where we are on this date or the other, we are sunk, because that is not a man with a plan. I know that this has the possibility of being one big strawman argument because the above information is just rumor at this point, but the clues suggest that he really thought this team, injuries not withstanding, had a chance.

  11. #100
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    5,360

    Re: Rolen Talks Revived

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I don't know how much truth there is to the details, but let's assume that the Reds are in talks on Rolen. Here is what is bugging me if now they do not decide to get him. Are you telling me that Walt did not see this coming anymore than we did? If you are working out a deal for Rolen, I would hope that WJ wasn't looking at the standings as the barometer. The GM needs to know his team better than that.

    If he was considering dealing for Rolen when we were around .500, then it is still just as good an idea today if it makes the squad better, esp. looking toward 2010. Sure, there are budgetary constraints, but if this was an "if we're in contention" thought, then he clearly doesn't know his team well enough, which is honestly inexcusable at this stage.

    Yet, the evidence points to him being as possibly delusional about the current squad as some of the most optimistic fans. If our GM is sitting around waiting to see where we are on this date or the other, we are sunk, because that is not a man with a plan. I know that this has the possibility of being one big strawman argument because the above information is just rumor at this point, but the clues suggest that he really thought this team, injuries not withstanding, had a chance.
    I agree, traderumor.

    I'm also troubled that Walt was even entertaining the thought of acquiring Scott Rolen for 2009 and 2010. At this point, he would cost about $9-10M more than EE through 2010 and all we'd be getting is 8-10 less errors per 162 games played, with less offensive production.

    Add the fact that Rolen is going to be 35 and only plays 60-70% of the time and it makes for a really bad acquisition, expecially if your actually giving something up for him.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRedleg; 07-27-2009 at 04:33 PM.

  12. #101
    I thought you'd be bigger OldXOhio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Green Country
    Posts
    2,791

    Re: Rolen Talks Revived

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I don't know how much truth there is to the details
    Therein lies your answer I believe. And I think your point is well taken despite my feeling that WJ had to know this type of collapse could be imminent. Whether you agree with the trade idea or not, an argument can certainly be made that acquiring a player like Scott Rolen could make sense for next year.
    Originally Posted by nate
    Chapman can be downright pornographic at times.

  13. #102
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    8,448

    Re: Rolen Talks Revived

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I agree, traderumor.

    I'm also troubled that Walt was even entertaining the thought of acquiring Scott Rolen for 2009 and 2010. At this point, he would cost about $11M more than EE through 2010 and all we'd be getting is 8-10 less errors per 162 games played, with less offensive production.

    Add the fact that Rolen is going to be 35 and only plays 60-70% of the time and it makes for a really bad acquisition, expecially if your actually giving something up for him.
    Couldn't have said it any better myself. I am completely mystified as to why the Reds would think Rolen is an upgrade--and troubled that the team would want to acquire him by using up valuable prospects in what is already clearly a lost season. All things considered, I prefer EE.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

  14. #103
    Member Jpup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Southern KY
    Posts
    6,967

    Re: Rolen Talks Revived

    Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Couldn't have said it any better myself. I am completely mystified as to why the Reds would think Rolen is an upgrade--and troubled that the team would want to acquire him by using up valuable prospects in what is already clearly a lost season. All things considered, I prefer EE.
    He's Walt's buddy?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

  15. #104
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,976

    Re: Rolen Talks Revived

    I can't remember if I said it earlier but it ties into another thought currently flying around tORG. That is, Rolen is a name people know. In fact, it might be a name the casual fan knows better than half the current 25-man roster. Therefore, getting Rolen might help attendance in addition to the lineup.

    I reserve the right for the preceding to be farfetched.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

  16. #105
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    8,448

    Re: Rolen Talks Revived

    Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    He's Walt's buddy?
    Gah... I really hope that's not the reason. That sort of "buddy" deal tends to go bad for teams--especially the Reds. See Patterson, Corey.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25