Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolen Talks Revived

Re: Rolen Talks Revived

6:08pm: AOL FanHouse's Ed Price tweets that it's possible for the Reds to acquire Rolen, "but a lot would have to happen," according to a source.
    Pure conjecture on my part, but I am guessing that Reds are trying to move one of big three contracts, Harang, Arroyo or Cordero, first before taking on Rolen. There is about a $10M difference between EE's contract and Rolen's contract for this year and 2010. Trading one of those three saves the Reds between $15M and $18M depending on who it is.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Pure conjecture on my part, but I am guessing that Reds are trying to move one of big three contracts, Harang, Arroyo or Cordero, first before taking on Rolen. There is about a $10M difference between EE's contract and Rolen's contract for this year and 2010. Trading one of those three saves the Reds between $15M and $18M depending on who it is.
    With Hernandez coming off the books next year, the Reds could still afford Rolen while maintaining payroll flex. Trading Arroyo or Harang would be a luxury to the budget but, not exactly necessary IMO. WJ does not need to trade for a bag of marbles to have any spending money in the offseason. If Rolen is picked up, it would virtually guarentee that Razor Ramon will be playing baseball for another squad next year. just my .02

This makes sense if it means EE > LF

Solves two big problems: who plays LF next year and what to do about the terrible defense at 3B? That leaves SS as the only real issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    Agreed. And 3b is not the issue w/ this team right now. Plain and simple.
    The entire organization is an issue badly in need of an overhaul. If it means parting with EE for Rolen for 2010, then that would appear to be the case. Have to think Walt's trying to throw Arroyo or Harang into the deal to cover the discrepancy in cost. Sign me up.
    Last edited by OldXOhio; 07-26-2009 at 11:41 AM.

I wouldn't mind if Rolen were a Red.

Thing is....Don't they have other more pressing areas of need that they could be pursuing?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Toronto's trying to unload salary so I see no way they're going to be taking on highly overpriced back of the rotation starters like Harang and Arroyo. If we sign Rolen I think we keep Harang and Arroyo, hope they can do about what they've done this year as next year's 4 and 5 and look for real elevation of the rotation next year out of Cueto, Volquez, and Bailey, next year's possible 1, 2, 3 (with Owings as fallback). If those three (Cueto, Volquez, Bailey) can assume that status by next year, Rolen might be enough to make us serious. EE, in my view, will not, either at 3b or in LF where he's unlikely to outperform even a Gomes-Nix platoon. Rolen makes us better for 2010, which is all we'd really want out of him. 2011 will bring a more extensive change to the whole lineup.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    This is just what the Jays have been waiting for. Rolen has a healthy stretch and some sucker with a history with him comes along and takes him off their hands before his back explodes again. All things considered, I'd rather have EdE.

How quickly we forget Jr. landing on the DL again and again and again.
    This is what I forsee exactly. I like Rolen when he's healthy. But how often IS that really? I don't see him having longer healthy stretches this late in his career.

In my eyes, this is a move to get the headache that is EE off the books period. It opens up a slot for the numerous up-and-coming minor league guys like Frazier, Valiaka, Francisco, etc. Rolen will be much easier to move to the bench when those guys are ready due to his age.

I don't mind the deal, but to assume this helps us for 2010 is just ignoring his injury history and age IMO.

per mlb traderumors today:and the Toronto sun

*It doesn't look like the Reds will acquire Scott Rolen, now that they're nine games below .500 and in fifth place. A few weeks ago the Reds wanted to trade for Rolen, but asked the Jays to pay half of his $11MM salary next year"

Season is over anyways..

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    per mlb traderumors today:and the Toronto sun

*It doesn't look like the Reds will acquire Scott Rolen, now that they're nine games below .500 and in fifth place. A few weeks ago the Reds wanted to trade for Rolen, but asked the Jays to pay half of his $11MM salary next year"

Season is over anyways..
    I don't know how much truth there is to the details, but let's assume that the Reds are in talks on Rolen. Here is what is bugging me if now they do not decide to get him. Are you telling me that Walt did not see this coming anymore than we did? If you are working out a deal for Rolen, I would hope that WJ wasn't looking at the standings as the barometer. The GM needs to know his team better than that.

If he was considering dealing for Rolen when we were around .500, then it is still just as good an idea today if it makes the squad better, esp. looking toward 2010. Sure, there are budgetary constraints, but if this was an "if we're in contention" thought, then he clearly doesn't know his team well enough, which is honestly inexcusable at this stage.

Yet, the evidence points to him being as possibly delusional about the current squad as some of the most optimistic fans. If our GM is sitting around waiting to see where we are on this date or the other, we are sunk, because that is not a man with a plan. I know that this has the possibility of being one big strawman argument because the above information is just rumor at this point, but the clues suggest that he really thought this team, injuries not withstanding, had a chance.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I don't know how much truth there is to the details, but let's assume that the Reds are in talks on Rolen. Here is what is bugging me if now they do not decide to get him. Are you telling me that Walt did not see this coming anymore than we did? If you are working out a deal for Rolen, I would hope that WJ wasn't looking at the standings as the barometer. The GM needs to know his team better than that.

If he was considering dealing for Rolen when we were around .500, then it is still just as good an idea today if it makes the squad better, esp. looking toward 2010. Sure, there are budgetary constraints, but if this was an "if we're in contention" thought, then he clearly doesn't know his team well enough, which is honestly inexcusable at this stage.

Yet, the evidence points to him being as possibly delusional about the current squad as some of the most optimistic fans. If our GM is sitting around waiting to see where we are on this date or the other, we are sunk, because that is not a man with a plan. I know that this has the possibility of being one big strawman argument because the above information is just rumor at this point, but the clues suggest that he really thought this team, injuries not withstanding, had a chance.
    I agree, traderumor.

I'm also troubled that Walt was even entertaining the thought of acquiring Scott Rolen for 2009 and 2010. At this point, he would cost about $9-10M more than EE through 2010 and all we'd be getting is 8-10 less errors per 162 games played, with less offensive production.

Add the fact that Rolen is going to be 35 and only plays 60-70% of the time and it makes for a really bad acquisition, expecially if your actually giving something up for him.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRedleg; 07-27-2009 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I don't know how much truth there is to the details
    Therein lies your answer I believe. And I think your point is well taken despite my feeling that WJ had to know this type of collapse could be imminent. Whether you agree with the trade idea or not, an argument can certainly be made that acquiring a player like Scott Rolen could make sense for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I agree, traderumor.

I'm also troubled that Walt was even entertaining the thought of acquiring Scott Rolen for 2009 and 2010. At this point, he would cost about $11M more than EE through 2010 and all we'd be getting is 8-10 less errors per 162 games played, with less offensive production.

Add the fact that Rolen is going to be 35 and only plays 60-70% of the time and it makes for a really bad acquisition, expecially if your actually giving something up for him.
    Couldn't have said it any better myself. I am completely mystified as to why the Reds would think Rolen is an upgrade--and troubled that the team would want to acquire him by using up valuable prospects in what is already clearly a lost season. All things considered, I prefer EE.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Couldn't have said it any better myself. I am completely mystified as to why the Reds would think Rolen is an upgrade--and troubled that the team would want to acquire him by using up valuable prospects in what is already clearly a lost season. All things considered, I prefer EE.
    He's Walt's buddy?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

High five!

I can't remember if I said it earlier but it ties into another thought currently flying around tORG. That is, Rolen is a name people know. In fact, it might be a name the casual fan knows better than half the current 25-man roster. Therefore, getting Rolen might help attendance in addition to the lineup.

I reserve the right for the preceding to be farfetched.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    He's Walt's buddy?
    Gah... I really hope that's not the reason. That sort of "buddy" deal tends to go bad for teams--especially the Reds. See Patterson, Corey.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Turn Off Ads?