Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sarasota Reds = Lynchburg Hillcats?

Sarasota Reds = Lynchburg Hillcats?

So I've been trying to find some confirmation that with the Orioles coming to Sarasota, that they would take over Sarasota Reds and Reds would flip franchises and end up as Frederick (Md.) Keys.

Instead I found a different take in this article

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...ent-directions

which includes the quote: "Although the summers likely will be quiet, since the Reds' FSL team will be relocated, likely to Bradenton as an affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates."

So, Sarasota become Bradenton Pirates (next season) which would mean Reds would flip franchises and become the Lynchburg (VA) Hillcats.

At least for one season. Teams can change affiliations after 2010

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sarasota Reds = Lynchburg Hillcats?

I live about 30 miles from Lynchburg so thatd be pretty cool

Enjoy it. It may not last. at the end of 2010, every Carolina League team except Salem comes up for renewal, and 2 new teams will transfer from the Cal League. So they could end up a lot of places. (All of which will be better than Sarasota)

I'm actually very pleased the minor league affiliations are becoming so regionalized all over Major League Baseball. It only makes sense from an interest and fan support standpoint, not to mention the travel costs involved.

In 10 years, I'd expect most every team will have their AAA, AA and A teams primarily within a 300, 400-mile radius of the big league club.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Good. Carolina League >>> Florida State League

Better way to gauge offensive and pitching numbers as well.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Thanks for doing these updates, Jax. I really enjoy them.

Old Red Guard Reject

I'd love to see Huntington WV eventually become the Reds High A affiliate. It would be a logical location in "Reds Country" and would fit nicely into the Carolina League. Nearby Charleston has been invaded by the Pirates for their Low A team. Reds and Huntington would mutually one-up them if the above could come into being.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Problem is..... Huntington is Low A ball also. So odds of that happening are as essentially zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4 View Post
    I'd love to see Huntington WV eventually become the Reds High A affiliate. It would be a logical location in "Reds Country" and would fit nicely into the Carolina League. Nearby Charleston has been invaded by the Pirates for their Low A team. Reds and Huntington would mutually one-up them if the above could come into being.
    Charleston doesnt have the fan base to be much more than Low A, and Huntington has even less fan base to support a low A team. The metro area of Huntington wouldn't give credence to the team. I know, I asked them about possibly moving up and the cost involved would be too prohibitive. The city of Charleston use to have AAA baseball many, many, many years ago but at that time the metro area had a much higher population at that time. Neither Charleston nor Huntington could support much more than whats already here let alone 2 competing teams at near equal level.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Dothan, Alabama is looking for a minor league franchise and I believe Columbus, Georgia and Panama City Florida are too. I believe all three have stadiums. It would be interesting to see if a military town (Fort Benning and Rucker) would support a team. Pensacola might be looking also.

But just about anywhere would be better than Sarasota and its 200 a night crowds.

Got to remember there are only three High A leagues, Florida State, California, and Carolina. IMHO, Carolina makes by far the best sense for the Reds. It's often regarded the best of those leagues and is the closest to Cinti. It would make sense with the AA franchise now at Carolina. The Reds have been in there briefly for two stints during the past 20 years or so: back in Chad Mottola days at Winston-Salem, and then for one year several years ago at Potomac before the Nats were formed and they got that franchise. It's only an 8 team league; the Nats aren't moving from Potomac and Boston owns Salem now. Franchises don't turn over in major league affiliations very often. Lynchburg has been Pirates for many years and the Pirates were in Salem for a long long time before that. If the Pirates are looking to consolidate in the Bradenton area, Lynchburg would make a lot of sense for the Reds and would be a pretty unique opportunity to get into the Carolina league.

So is this supposed to be confirmed anytime or really going to happen that they are gonna play in Lynchburg. Id love to see it happen I could get to alot of games and give reports if so. Ive been to a couple of the Hillcats game this year primarily to watch some top prospects play like Alvarez and and Wieters

It may not be confirmed either way for weeks or months.

I think we'll find that if Lynchburg opens up, a bunch of teams will at least come calling. That's been the usual practice on the rare occasion when Carolina franchises do change.

Turn Off Ads?