Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sarasota Reds = Lynchburg Hillcats?

Re: Sarasota Reds = Lynchburg Hillcats?

The Rookie League team that tried to play in St. Cloud Commons was a joke. otoh, The WV Power started doing okay once they positioned themselves as a regional team.

But that would be a major problem now--the Power's drawing from the larger area (I've even known groups from Ironton to head over). I think the ideal location for a team would be the Teays Valley area, but I doubt Charleston would let that happen.

Huntington, really, isn't positioned for much of anything right now. I was in Lynchburg last month and was surprised at how much the city had grown. Huntington, otoh, is just a shadow of what it used to be (and I'm old enough to remember downtown.)
    Last edited by tixe; 09-08-2009 at 12:35 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I just got some info that indicated the Reds ARE going to Lynchburg !!

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I just got some info that indicated the Reds ARE going to Lynchburg !!
    I assume this is a one-year PDC with the Reds shopping for a permanent home in 2010?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I assume so also

that would be great. only a 25 minute drive to lynchburg from my town and i work in lynchburg so id get to see ALOT of games

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Great news. I hope the Reds make this their permanent home for their High A team.

I am thrilled the Reds are moving to Lynchburg. Living in North Carolina as I do, this will give me several chance to see the Hillcats. They will play Kinston and Winston-Salem in state and Lynchburg isn't that far from here either. We made the trip up years back. Having a Reds affiliate in the Carolina League will be super.

That puts all of the Reds teams above Rookie ball no more than 600 or so miles from Cincy (with Carolina being the furthest). How long will I-40 be closed because of the rock slide? (it was I-40 right?)
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

It was indeed I-40. I'm located in the Raleigh area but I know that the cleanup is still taking place. It will take another month or two to complete the work and the area is not totally open to traffic yet. These things happen every several years but this one is a biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    It was indeed I-40. I'm located in the Raleigh area but I know that the cleanup is still taking place. It will take another month or two to complete the work and the area is not totally open to traffic yet. These things happen every several years but this one is a biggie.
    So by baseball season, it ought to be done. I mentioned it because on Google Maps, they seemed to have factored the I-40 closure in and gave three possible routes from Cincy.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

My wife, who is an employee of the North Carolina Department of Transportation says the cleanup should be complete by then. However, there is a plan to repave the damaged artery. This can't begin until sometime in March when the temperatures permit for paving. There will be a temporary route at that point in time. Stay tuned...

If you're thinking of making the trip down this way let me know. I have discussed with my wife going to Louisville and Lynchburg this season. Longer shot, I'd like to go to Dayton and Cincy as well. Last year a retired couple traveled down from Dayton to see the Mudcats. That was really nice to see.

Turn Off Ads?