Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sarasota Reds = Lynchburg Hillcats?

Re: Sarasota Reds = Lynchburg Hillcats?

Except if they flip the franchises after this season, ONLY the Reds can go there. After 2010, Lynchburg could be almost any team's High A club, and the Reds could go to almost any High A franchise. But for 2010, if there is a flip, Reds can only go to Lynchburg.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I believe the Reds own the Sarasota franchise, if so it is not an affiliate. They would need someone to buy the franchise I would think. That would please me to no end, since Sarasota dissed the Reds so badly, offering Boston the sun, moon, and stars, and giving the O's at least 3/4 of that. (The Reds will live to regret Az. though, just like the Cubs). Sarasota is great for ST, but playing there in the Summer is like being in an oven. Carolina sounds good to me..

It's rumored that Pitt is buying the franchise.

Well, 2 different articles indicated that Sarsota Reds have played their last game ever, but no indication who is replacing them.

http://www.mysuncoast.com/Global/story.asp?S=11044792

http://www.mysuncoast.com/Global/story.asp?S=11044792

The other half of the change is the AZL Reds. I lived in Yuma for two years. The good news is that they should not have as high a number of rained out games as the GCL Reds. The bad news is that in mid-summer they have a window between midnight and 9AM to play without risk of spontaneous player combustion.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I lived in Yuma for two years.
    You have my admiration.

Does Yuma have any trees?

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    You have my admiration.

Does Yuma have any trees?
    It depends. If you go east for about 60 miles you start to see Seguaro cacti. They qualify as trees in the minds of some. Yuma is said to have nine months of summer and three months of hell. The hot weather extends from mid-April to mid-October so some may quibble with that.

During the two years I was there, it was the Padres spring training site. I have a vivid memory of attending a youth soccer match and looking through a chain link fence onto an adjacent field where Ozzie Smith was doing back flips. A fan angered by Dave Winfield's contract demands, heckled him relentlessly by yelling 'pirate' whenever he batted.

For those traveling to Goodyear next spring, the southwest Arizona weather is excellent at that time of year.

I still haven't heard how they plan to handle Spring Training and AZL with an uneven amount of teams.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Jax, at this point does it appear that the Reds' high A team next year will play in Lynchburg?

I say 33% chance. Either Pirates buy franchise and move it to Bradenton (which is only rumor we've heard) and Reds go to Lynchburg for at least 1 season, or Orioles buy franchise and keep it in Sarasota and Reds go to Frederick for a season, or everyone waits one year till the normal affiliation swap.

The media down there is sure convinced the Reds are gone. But they never say who gets the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I still haven't heard how they plan to handle Spring Training and AZL with an uneven amount of teams.
    I found this little tidbit on springtrainingonline.com

Tucson officials court Japanese team for spring training

With the defection of the Chicago White Sox this year and the Arizona Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies after Spring Training 2010, Tucson officials are proactively seeking a pro Japanese team to fill the slack at Tucson Electric Field as a member of the Cactus League.

The Pima County Sports and Tourism Authority authorized Jack Donovan to negotiate potential leases with Japanese teams; he'll be leaving for Japan later this month and has a deadline of September 15 to make a deal.

The goal is to bring in one team for 2010 and two for 2011, all as playing members of the Cactus League. The Japanese team would share Tucson Electric Park with the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2010. MLB officials so far have encouraged efforts to bring in a Japanese team, presumably as a way to even out the scheduling in coming years: with the Cincinnati Reds moving to Goodyear in 2010, there is now an odd number (15) of teams in the Cactus League. Adding a Japanese team would make scheduling easy.

One thing we have heard from the MLB side: if a Japanese team is added, don't look for it to play a full complement of home games in Tucson. That team will likely play more games in Phoenix as a road team, fodder for the 13 teams playing in the Valley of the Sun.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Referring back to some of the older posts to this thread, if there was anyway the Reds could locate a High "A" team in Huntington, it would be a brilliant move for the fan base. Support for the Reds from that region is more than significant. Did anybody notice the turn out there for the Caravan last Winter?

The Yakult Swallows used to hold spring training in Yuma.

Also, I don't see that the odd number of teams is a serious problem in Arizona with so many teams in Phoenix. Teams can alternate splitting their squads. The travel is minimal. Each team would need to split twice.

Also, the problem seems to be more serious in Florida which will also have an odd number of teams. In Florida there is a west coast/east coast distribution that makes scheduling more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    Referring back to some of the older posts to this thread, if there was anyway the Reds could locate a High "A" team in Huntington, it would be a brilliant move for the fan base. Support for the Reds from that region is more than significant. Did anybody notice the turn out there for the Caravan last Winter?
    I'd love to see it, but I don't think Huntington has either the facilities or the money to build facilities. Marshall's baseball team plays a number of their games in Appalachian Power Park in Charleston, even.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

More important for Huntington is that it's just not close enough to a High A League.

Turn Off Ads?