Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sunday 7/26 Minor League Game Updates

Re: Sunday 7/26 Minor League Game Updates

I know that I'm HARDLY in the minority when I say that I would MUCH rather watch the Bats on TV than the Cincinnati Reds. A helluva lot more excitement w/ that team than the dreck run out on a daily basis in Cincinnati.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yorman Rodriguez is now 1-for-3 with a walk and SB in his second game with Billings.

Yorman is now my favorite Reds prospect behind Todd Frazier

Boy howdy, the Yorman thing got REAL interesting 48 hours ago.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Boy howdy, the Yorman thing got REAL interesting 48 hours ago.
    What changed other than where he was playing baseball?

Agreed, mem. If Rodriguez can continue to hit well in Billings, he becomes real interesting in Dayton next year. Hope that power remains. Like to see it, regardless.

On another note, last year, the Red pipeline was lousy with 3b. This year it's CF. Hope next year it's SS.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    not who you were asking but IMO...

The fact that the Reds think highly enough of Yorman to have him participating in a league against former college players at the age of 16. I knew the Reds thought highly of the young Stormin' Yorman, but didn't know it was high enough to warrant a promotion at such a young age.

Um, where he was playing baseball.

It's one thing to hear about potential, and quite another to see it start being realized.

You do know that, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    not who you were asking but IMO...

The fact that the Reds think highly enough of Yorman to have him participating in a league against former college players at the age of 16. I knew the Reds thought highly of the young Stormin' Yorman, but didn't know it was high enough to warrant a promotion at such a young age.
    Um, yes.

Isn't that obvious? But thanks for spelling it out, Grande.

If he's really ready for that level, at that tender age, and has any kind of success, he is on a trajectory to be a special prospect.
    Last edited by membengal; 07-26-2009 at 10:02 PM.

I think from a POV that isnt like Dougs its really easy to get a lot of excitement out of Yorman so far. Actions speak louder than words type of thing.

Of course, minor-league wins and losses are a small part of the story. That said, how tough was it for Billings to just get swept by Missoula in a 4-game series in which:

* Missoula twice won on walkoffs in the bottom of the 9th
    * Billings led one game 4-1 in the 7th and another 7-1 in the 9th (that's right, 7-1 in the 9th)
    * Billings outhit, I said outhit, Missoula for the series, 39-29.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Um, where he was playing baseball.

It's one thing to hear about potential, and quite another to see it start being realized.

You do know that, right?
    His potential was being realized in the GCL too. I just don't see how the fact that he is doing it in Billings makes it all of a sudden exciting, or at least any more exciting than if he did it in the GCL. Sure, the competition level is a little better, but what Yorman was doing was already very impressive.

Since he's up a level against tougher competition and the Reds, an organization that is hesitant to move up prospects unless they're truly ready, I'd say that's certainly reason enough for the optimism.

His potential was being realized in the GCL too. I just don't see how the fact that he is doing it in Billings makes it all of a sudden exciting, or at least any more exciting than if he did it in the GCL. Sure, the competition level is a little better, but what Yorman was doing was already very impressive.
    Validation. By moving him up to a level seldom seen by 16-year-olds, the Reds have validated the perception that he is way ahead of the normal pace, and a special talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Since he's up a level against tougher competition and the Reds, an organization that is hesitant to move up prospects unless they're truly ready, I'd say that's certainly reason enough for the optimism.
    Yes.

And, Doug, c'mon. Who knows what the GCL really means? It's hard enough to get box scores out of those games, much less live in person eyewitnesses to what is going down. It is, by and large, a mystery level.

So, yeah, it's a huge deal that the 16-year-old has bubbled out of there to go to Montana with the college types. Better yet, there will be plenty of people that can actually lay eyes on him now, so the thoughts of the select few who have seen him can be supplemented. Which will be nice.

Turn Off Ads?