Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Sunday 7/26 Minor League Game Updates

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Sunday 7/26 Minor League Game Updates

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Yes.

And, Doug, c'mon. Who knows what the GCL really means? It's hard enough to get box scores out of those games, much less live in person eyewitnesses to what is going down. It is, by and large, a mystery level.

So, yeah, it's a huge deal that the 16-year-old has bubbled out of there to go to Montana with the college types. Better yet, there will be plenty of people that can actually lay eyes on him now, so the thoughts of the select few who have seen him can be supplemented. Which will be nice.
    Eh, the fact that the Reds promoted a guy who they gave $2M last year to high rookie ball, even at his age, doesn't change much to me. The kid is still incredibly raw, which speaks to how good he can be given what he has done to this point despite that rawness.

Still, it will be nice to get pictures, video and even eye witness reports from his game time, something we wouldn't get much of in terms of the GCL (although I have received one report from the GCL this season). To me though, it doesn't make him more or less exciting. Something about a 16 year old who drew comparisons to Eric Davis and Carlos Beltran left me plenty excited when he signed. Making it to Billings at age 16 isn't going to make it even more exciting than that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't care who he has drawn comparisons too, frankly. It is whether there is any way he can ever come within 10 miles of those comparisons that interests me. That he's already been moved to Montana at the tender age of 16 gives me some initial hope that perhaps he can.

So, yeah, that's why it is noteworthy for me.

what was the report you got this year on him doug

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I don't care who he has drawn comparisons too, frankly. It is whether there is any way he can ever come within 10 miles of those comparisons that interests me. That he's already been moved to Montana at the tender age of 16 gives me some initial hope that perhaps he can.

So, yeah, that's why it is noteworthy for me.
    I just worry about rushing the kid. I get sick of the players that can't run the bases, don't know how to field, or slide back in to first on a pick off throw. These things get taught along the way.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

It's rookie ball.

There's plenty of time for him to learn those things. I would hope the Reds teach such things at each step of the way through the minor leagues. Like Red from Shawshank, I hope.

Red didn't hope at the Shank, mem. He found hope in the hayfield by Buxton. Under the rock that had no business in a Maine hayfield.

And I agree with your assertion as well. 16 in Montana means 21 in The Show is possible. 21 in The Show means a greater chance of a really good player. A player to get excited about.

At least a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Red didn't hope at the Shank, mem. He found hope in the hayfield by Buxton. Under the rock that had no business in a Maine hayfield.

And I agree with your assertion as well. 16 in Montana means 21 in The Show is possible. 21 in The Show means a greater chance of a really good player. A player to get excited about.

At least a little.
    What kind of time frame do the Reds have until he has to be added to the 40 man roster before he is exposed?

At least a little.
    Just watched that for the first time today. Amazing movie. Definitely worth skipping the repeat of Imaginationland, which was tough
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Just watched that for the first time today. Amazing movie. Definitely worth skipping the repeat of Imaginationland, which was tough
    My all-time favorite movie.

Better book. (Or novella, as the case may be.) One of King's best, IMO.

Better book. (Or novella, as the case may be.) One of King's best, IMO.
    agreed, Apt Pupil (made into a movie at one point I believe) and The Body (made into the movie "Stand by Me") are also excellant stories contained in his different seasons book. Don't remember much for the other story in that book

Sun Dog, IIRC. Scared the crap outta me. Pop Merrill is Ace's uncle, too. Everything in the Castle is related to everything else. But it sure beats Derry all to hell.

Turn Off Ads?