Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you think Dusty is really THAT bad with pitchers?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 17.31%
  • No

43 82.69%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Dusty is really THAT bad with pitchers?

Do you think Dusty is really THAT bad with pitchers?

Do you think Dusty is really THAT bad with pitchers? OR do you think too much has been made of it? I'm not saying he's great with pitchers either but I'm just asking if people think he deserves so much credit for "destroying pitchers careers" or if that's a little overrated. Again, yes or no.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Do you think Dusty is really THAT bad with pitchers?

I think Dusty has handled our pitching staff pretty effectively, especially this year. I think there was a legitimate complaint with him, but that he's improved each year in this regard. That's just my perception, without scrutinizing the numbers and outings.

I think Dusty is too hard on starting pitchers but handles the bullpen much better than Jerry Narron ever did.

I voted no. I would also vote no if the question had been "Is Dusty good with pitchers".

Hey man (kaldaniels), that's more than fair. I'm not asking if he's good with pitchers, just whether he's really a 'pitchers worst friend' like it seeems like the popular opinion has become.

I think he is bad with them but doesn't deserve to be blamed for Wood and Prior.

I don't like the way he manages a bullpen, but there really isn't any purpose to me complaining about it more than I have. Not that there ever is a purpose.

Here, no he hasn't been bad at all. That was my biggest fear when they hired him. Now, lineup construction is a whole other story.............

Dusty has handled the bullpen and the kids very, very well.

I think Harang has been worked too heavily, but that was true before Dusty showed up.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

The Dusty beats his starters like redheaded stepchildren.

He also doesn't put his bullpen arms in positions to succeed on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post

He also doesn't put his bullpen arms in positions to succeed on a regular basis.
    Rod Beck says hi

The Dusty beats his starters like redheaded stepchildren.

This is a myth.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Rod Beck says hi
    I think The Dusty handled pitchers well in SF.

I think he started to abuse starters in Chicago, and IIRC didn't have a true closer up there, so started to mismanage his pen.

Once he got to Cincinnati, I think he's continued to abuse starters more than he should, and I don't like the way he uses his bullpen at all.

It seems like he's almost kinda damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. He'll use guys in the wrong situation to get them work, and then those guys aren't ready the next game when he really needs them.

Although, with the Reds it may just be that we don't have the right guys for the right situations.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    This is a myth.
    Awesome counterargument, care to elaborate?

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    This is a myth.
    No it isn't. Although, he's hardly alone in saving his closer for the "save" rather than the most pivotal game situation.

Awesome counterargument, care to elaborate?
    Sure.

Dusty got a lot of his rep from the destruction of Prior and Wood. Yet now the claim is that Prior's mechanics were screwed from the start and that Wood's weren't that great either. What's the real reason for their issues? Was it mechanics, overuse, steroids or something else? I have no idea, but I think that the blame he received from that era was at least a little unfair.

We also haven't seen pitchers get "beaten like reheaded stepchildren" in his tenure here. Sure he's left someone in a little longer than expected on occasion, but every manager does that. Who can we say has been consistently abused on the mound over the past 2 years?

Turn Off Ads?