Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Selig mulling pardon for Rose

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Haunted by walks

Selig mulling pardon for Rose

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...pete_rose.html

There's not a lot definite here, but the New York Daily News detects a change of heart.

Re: Selig mulling pardon for Rose

Apparently Hank Aaron and some of the HOF vets got in Bud's ear.

I don't have a problem with Pete in the Hall. His plaque can cite his statistics, and the fact that he was banned from baseball for betting on the game. Same with Shoeless Joe, for that matter.

I was a huge Pete fan as a kid, but I don't think he should be allowed back into the game.
    Last edited by NJReds; 07-27-2009 at 10:05 AM.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post

I don't have a problem with Pete in the Hall. His plaque can cite his statistics, and the fact that he was banned from baseball for betting on the game. Same with Shoeless Joe, for that matter.

I was a huge Pete fan as a kid, but I don't think he should be allowed back into the game, however.
    HOF eligibility and getting back in uniform on the field should not be tethered.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    HOF eligibility and getting back in uniform on the field should not be tethered.
    You know it will be though. That's the deal Selig will make IMO.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    You know it will be though. That's the deal Selig will make IMO.
    Exactly. He should be in the Hall, not in baseball, imo.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    Exactly. He should be in the Hall, not in baseball, imo.
    Selig already offered Rose a deal where he'd get into the Hall, but remained out of baseball forever.

Rose passed.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post

I was a huge Pete fan as a kid, but I don't think he should be allowed back into the game.
    I agree, he has no business being back on the field ever again.

It's funny because I gave up years ago ever caring about the whole Rose situation but I gotta admit seeing this kinda makes me excited.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I think it's time, but Rose needs not be managing ever again. I think Pete would rather get back in the game than be in the Hall. Just my guess. I wish he could be on the field, but I don't think it would work out too well.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

after only 12-13 years. Another 8-10 years and maybe the pen will start moving.

What a bench/hitting coach he would make. How about advanced scout? No manager jobs, not that any team would offer, but he should have been in the hall long ago.
    Pennant or bust!

Quote Originally Posted by Az Red View Post
    What a bench/hitting coach he would make. How about advanced scout? No manager jobs, not that any team would offer, but he should have been in the hall long ago.
    Coach?

Nope, he can't sit in a dugout on any game day IMO, he gave up his rights to that years ago.

HOF decides who gets in not MLB

from wiki

Hall of Fame Eligibility
    On February 4, 1991, the Hall of Fame voted to formally exclude individuals on the permanently ineligible list from being inducted into the Hall of Fame by way of the Baseball Writers Association of America vote. Rose is the only living member of the ineligible list. Players who were not selected by the BWAA could be considered by the Veterans Committee in the first year after they would have lost their place on the Baseball Writers Association of America's ballot. Under the Hall's rules, players may appear on the ballot for only fifteen years, beginning five years after they retire. Had he not been banned from baseball, Rose's name could have been on the writers' ballot beginning in 1992 and ending in 2006.[12] He would have been eligible for consideration by the Veterans Committee in 2007, but did not appear on the ballot.[13] In 2008 the Veterans Committee barred players[14] and managers[15] on the ineligible list from consideration, more than likely ending any chance of Rose being elected to the Hall of Fame.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    HOF decides who gets in not MLB

from wiki
    If he's taken off the inelgible list then he can be voted in. I don't think Pete gets in until he's dead,JMO.
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 07-27-2009 at 10:55 AM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I think he'd be an outstanding hitting coach. But I don't know if I'd trust him. It's really as simple as that.

I do think he'd be a really good minor league and Spring Training guy. Perhaps a per diem that keeps him around the team but not an official coach? Kind of a Mario Soto for struggling hitters?

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I think he'd be an outstanding hitting coach. But I don't know if I'd trust him. It's really as simple as that.

I do think he'd be a really good minor league and Spring Training guy. Perhaps a per diem that keeps him around the team but not an official coach? Kind of a Mario Soto for struggling hitters?
    That could be a full-time job with the Reds!

Turn Off Ads?